Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

What is the best setup to increase HP & TQ to 100+ in a TC88

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default What is the best setup to increase HP & TQ to 100+ in a TC88

I own a 2005 springer classic with a TC 88 motor and want to know what is the best setup to increase HP and TQ to 100+. For exhaust I have the stock setup with samson slip on mufflers and the carb was modified to run richer with a SE high flow air filter. I probably will go to a 95 inch kit or even bigger if available. Any Vendors or owners have a kit that they recommend to get the required results? Thanks.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:34 PM
BLACK 3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is the best setup to increase HP & TQ to 100+ in a TC88

i am very happy with my 95" Short Block Charlie package.
They are out of Tempe Az 800-597-0922
You might want too check out http://www.gmrperformance.com/
Try http://www.hillsidecycle.com/
Try http://www.head-quarters.com/index.html

You wont go wrong with any of the above

Old 01-06-2008, 02:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

You probably wouldn't get 100/100 with a 95" kit. Give GMR Performance a shout and look into his 98" kit. He has a website also. Unless you want to split the cases and upgrade the flywheel and do some case boring, the 98" kit would do you pretty good.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SJ12DS

I own a 2005 springer classic with a TC 88 motor and want to know what is the best setup to increase HP and TQ to 100+. For exhaust I have the stock setup with samson slip on mufflers and the carb was modified to run richer with a SE high flow air filter. I probably will go to a 95 inch kit or even bigger if available. Any Vendors or owners have a kit that they recommend to get the required results? Thanks.
If you go to 95" or 98", have your heads worked on, put in the right cam, use a 2-1 exhaust..........you can break 100/100.

Give Scott at Hillside Cycles a call and talk with him............he'll set you up with a build that will give you what you want.

Steve

Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Roofuss96
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggest you research back about 4 pages or so to Dec. 23rd thread entitled " RE Hippo build started with pics " ? I have several posts there regarding my 2002 FLHTC's 95" motor that had numbers of 99.36 hp. and 98.61 ft.lbs.{ on the dyno } and is to this day rock solid reliable and runs strong after several years since build ! You can obtain 100/100 on a 95" build !! [sm=smiley20.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39392/E62BDB9967AB4A938315586204985654.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Roofuss96
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am very happy with my 95" Short Block Charlie package.
They are out of Tempe Az 800-597-0922

Thats were Hippo { Frank } built my 95" motor , but he is now retired.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:49 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Head-Quarters has several recipies that will easily get ya what you're looking for. Ideally, you might want to get your objective(s) a bit more specific than just a target HP/TQ "number". Figure out "how" you ride and what conditionsare mostcommon, therefore a forming a more precise area for improvement. Solo riding / 2up, crusing / touring / bar hopping, flat lands / mountains, etc...

Take a look here & see if anything soulds like what you're after:http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/customtwintypest.html

Once ya scan thru there, give them a shout & talk to Doug or Kevin. They'll "hook ya up".

There have been many other good suggestions already, so do some checking around. Whatever youdecide to do, FOLLOWTHE DIRECTION OF THE BUILDER,not a bunch of cyber-recommendations.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: PhilM

Head-Quarters has several recipies that will easily get ya what you're looking for. Ideally, you might want to get your objective(s) a bit more specific than just a target HP/TQ "number". Figure out "how" you ride and what conditionsare mostcommon, therefore a forming a more precise area for improvement. Solo riding / 2up, crusing / touring / bar hopping, flat lands / mountains, etc...

Take a look here & see if anything soulds like what you're after:http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/customtwintypest.html

Once ya scan thru there, give them a shout & talk to Doug or Kevin. They'll "hook ya up".

There have been many other good suggestions already, so do some checking around. Whatever youdecide to do, FOLLOWTHE DIRECTION OF THE BUILDER,not a bunch of cyber-recommendations.
What he said!!!

I listened to my engine builder. He recommended the 95" wiseco flat tops with .030" head gasket. Some Andrews TW21G cams. Larger valves and ported heads. I have not dyno'd my bike but he has built the same engine several times and it puts out 97 HP and 106 ft. lbs. of torque. I pull a trailer behind my Road Glide so I wanted torque, which is a lot of fun!! If you want a little more HP than torque then go with a slightly more radical cam like the TW 26 or equivalent. To keep it streetable try and keep the cranking pressures between 170 and 190. The builder will know how to match a cam to your compression and the flow of the head. They all work together! Don't look for peak numbers unless you just want to bench race. How do you ride and where do you want the power? That's what you need to figure out. A nice flat torque curve makes a great bike to ride in the real world.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM
BLACK 3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tootal

ORIGINAL: PhilM

What he said!!!

I listened to my engine builder. He recommended the 95" wiseco flat tops with .030" head gasket. Some Andrews TW21G cams. Larger valves and ported heads. I have not dyno'd my bike but he has built the same engine several times and it puts out 97 HP and 106 ft. lbs. of torque. I pull a trailer behind my Road Glide so I wanted torque, which is a lot of fun!! If you want a little more HP than torque then go with a slightly more radical cam like the TW 26 or equivalent. To keep it streetable try and keep the cranking pressures between 170 and 190. The builder will know how to match a cam to your compression and the flow of the head. They all work together! Don't look for peak numbers unless you just want to bench race. How do you ride and where do you want the power? That's what you need to figure out. A nice flat torque curve makes a great bike to ride in the real world.
i went with se f/t pistonsandrews 26g
heads done by sbc .30 hg 95"
sert rh td
98hp 107tq

Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

The last 98" we did was in a clients carbedSoftail, locally.
It came in the door with a Pro-Pipe, Crane Multi-Spark(which he sure as hell did not need with a stock engine).
With our heads , Bob Wood TW-6G cams, stock cv carb, jetted, it tuned out, on our dyno, at 100.1 hp and 116.5 ft/lbs. This machine could have used a 44mm cv or a 45 Mikuni. With either one of those carbs, the hp would have showed much more. Probably the torque peak would shift to the right a bit also. He is happy the way it is.
Scott

Quick Reply: What is the best setup to increase HP & TQ to 100+ in a TC88