Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Advice on getting a 96 incher to 100/100 club

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on getting a 96 incher to 100/100 club

I've been reading thru all the posts on how to get more HP/TQ out of a stock engine and my head is spinning. So far I've learned it's better going with a proven package than trying to do it with separate parts that might not matchup well. I also know the more I spend the more I can get out of the build. So I'm hoping I can get a consensus for the best solution to a specific target. My current setup is an 07 Deluxe (96 incher) with V & H BSSs, K&N High flow filter, and SERT. It's already been dyno-tuned with numbers of 76 HP and 84 TQ. My goal is to get to over 100/100 without replacing my exhaust and a total cost with labor between $2,000 to $2,500. The bike runs great right now and is responsive at low rpm, but I'd like a little bit more for when riding up a hill with my wife on the back. I'm not trying to pull stumps out of the ground, just get a little bit more grin factor when twisting the throttle.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Advice on getting a 96 incher to 100/100 club

ORIGINAL: marty44

I've been reading thru all the posts on how to get more HP/TQ out of a stock engine and my head is spinning. So far I've learned it's better going with a proven package than trying to do it with separate parts that might not matchup well. I also know the more I spend the more I can get out of the build. So I'm hoping I can get a consensus for the best solution to a specific target. My current setup is an 07 Deluxe (96 incher) with V & H BSSs, K&N High flow filter, and SERT. It's already been dyno-tuned with numbers of 76 HP and 84 TQ. My goal is to get to over 100/100 without replacing my exhaust and a total cost with labor between $2,000 to $2,500. The bike runs great right now and is responsive at low rpm, but I'd like a little bit more for when riding up a hill with my wife on the back. I'm not trying to pull stumps out of the ground, just get a little bit more grin factor when twisting the throttle.
Well your choice of pipes are going to be working against you. Your biggest hurdle will be those pipes holding you back. We have done several of the 96 inchers thus far with mild cams and are making in the 90-98 hp range and over 103 TQ. With stock pipes and slip ones. Now with your goal you would need a good cam and some head porting. Your goal is not out of the relm but did I say your pipes are going to cause issues??

If you where toruncompression at lets say 9.8.1 and use a woods 6 cam you should be able to hit your mark. If I am reading that correctly you are looking at a max cost of 2500 for the parts and labor. Being that labor will run you appox 8-9 hr at let say 60 an hr that is 540 so you have 2000 left for parts. If you where to use a chain drive cam you could have 2000 for the kit. With that money you could build a 107 kit. You have the heads off anyways.

I just posted some dyno sheets on a 107 kit that is under 2k. And would exceed your goal even with that pipe.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can hit it with porting your existing heads and a gear drive. IMO, I've found that seperate parts, which are compatible, are as good as or the sameasany so-called "proven package". I used the "Hippo Build", substituting forged pistons and SE head porting, with the blessings of its "inventor".

Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve makes a very valid point, with respect to your pipes. [&:]

Since you understand the "package" concept, I would encourage you to contact a couple compaines that specialize inv-twin performance.

I'd suggest a couple, like:

Head-Quarters
GMR
Zippers
R&R Cycles
...and there are a ton of others

Make yourself an explicit list of questions as well as your specific goals. Share that information with them and let them "perscribe" a solution for you. Be prepared to take notes during the conversation. When you're done, review and compare the offerings & make your choice based on what's best for YOU.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: marty44

I also know the more I spend the more I can get out of the build.
I quoted the above because that isn't true when dealing with vendors who will "upsell" you into stuff you don't need for your build: roller rockers and a larger throttle body come quickly to mind.

If you want to price a complete package from Head-Quarters, you can do it on this link:

http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/ushome.html

Also, if you buy from HQ directly you will get a SERT map for your build from Kevin at HQ and post installation tuning assistance if you need it. A bunch ofHDFers havedone the HQ builds and all have been very pleased.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

The numbers that you are looking for are an easy goal to reach, as long as you are not dead-set on the pipe(s).
Dedicated,engineered, proven packages, are the way we prefer to operate, as we know the expectedoutcome of our kits.
We have worked with the Wood cams now almost exclusively for over 12 years,(in business for 26 yrs)and were his largest account in 2004-2005.
We know how to get the most from your bike without massive cost. 1500.00 in parts,(plus exhaust)including your heads beingre-worked, cams, pushrods, gaskets, and a clutch spring,will have you ready to rumble.