Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

S-E GEAR DOWN KIT

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:38 PM
MAX EVO
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-E GEAR DOWN KIT

Is the S-E gear down kit the same as the 3.37 gear set?If not which of the two be preferable mated to a S-E 6 speed? Thx

Old 01-07-2006, 06:29 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: S-E GEAR DOWN KIT

The gear down kit I do beleive you are speaking of is not the same. The SE kit is a 21 tooth front comp sprocket and a shorter chain. This kit is really for drag racing use only. Even with a 6 speed you will be turing a considerable more amount of RPM. The 3.37 is swapping the front compr sprocket for a 24 and the back for a 37. This kit is more money as you are buying a clutch basket as well.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:05 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm using it, and I love it! roll on the throttle, and she's ready to dance!

joe

Old 01-10-2006, 11:39 PM
lakebum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HDWRENCH is correct. Unless you want to do wheelies from stoplight to stoplight and never ride at highway speed, do not use this kit.
Best bet is to go with 3:37's like HDWRENCH says.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:59 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry,

But gotta "raise the bull$hit flag"........

I ride my bike on the highway all the time, with the gear down kit, with absolutely no problems!!!!!!!

Unlike many who will post, I am actually running these on MY OWN BIKE!!!!!!!!

With the 510G's she's a real hoot!

fear not........use the SE pressure plate for the clutch and just DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, I would ABSOLUTELY do it as the first modification!!!

I respect everybody's opinion, of course, but I'm tellin' ya.......I run this in my own scooter, and it is ABSOLUTELY the way to go!!!

Those that try them, and then take them out, are just candy-a$$es who are afraid of letting their engine spin a little tighter.

With a rev limiter, you will not hurt the engine....and you will have the acceleration of a bike with 3K+ of engine work with stock gears!

ANY questions at all, PM me!

joe

Old 01-11-2006, 11:16 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so you have them and you like them great. What RPM are you at 65-70 mph?? Most people do want a increase and still have a bike that is not spun up at crusing speeds. Again that is most people being that I do this for a living and have install the kits and then had to remove them as the owner did infact like the acceleration, he did not like the high rpm cruising. I myslef dont mind it on my own bike. But I understand that not everyone wants a 160 hp bike and in fact many that rode it did not like it at all . TOO much power, having the bike smoke the tire under light throttle without trying did not appeal to them.

Most are looking for a balance between good perfromance, good milage, overall nice manners.
Having to shift 2 times before you are across the intersection is not for everyone, as are jackrabbit starts. I know this is a forum and all can post there opinion but name calling?? Come on due to the fact that a person does not like a certain product does not make them a "candy ***" does it???? I may be out of line here but I think that if we can keep it to a level where we can voice our opinions without name calling. WE all can get excited as well a post is hard to "get a read on " sometimes as it really is only words without emotion. Just my 2 cents

Old 01-11-2006, 02:11 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea, the name calling was uncalled for........but for someone to post that these gears cannot be used on the highway is false, becasue i do it all the time! The extra rev's on the highway at 70 mph is really not bad at all.

joe

Old 01-11-2006, 02:56 PM
lakebum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To HDWRENCH's response: AMEN!!!!! To each his own!! But I've been there done that too, and super low gearing is only good for holeshots in my opinion. Ever driven a hot rod with 4:11 gears on the highway?? Very unpleasant to say the least.
The 6 speed gearbox will help to lower your revs on the highway but...........
If you ride fast with others, you probably won't like your engine screaming while others are are just humming along. Don't get me wrong, lower gears are great, but there is no need to get that drastic unless your engine is underpowered in the first place.
Remember too, if MAX EVO is running a EVO motor, they won't withstand the higher revs that a TC motor can. Sounds to me that "traveler" is used to Kawasaki's high revving characteristics, and not accustomed to Harley motors.

Again, to each his own, and to MAX EVO, use your own disgression, just trying to help & not misguide you!

Old 01-11-2006, 04:06 PM
FASTFXD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lakebum

HDWRENCH is correct. Unless you want to do wheelies from stoplight to stoplight and never ride at highway speed, do not use this kit.
Best bet is to go with 3:37's like HDWRENCH says.

Yep. Each to his/her own -- and that's what makes it all fun -- but IMHO the 3.37 is a much nicer all-around ratio. Whereas 3000 rpm was about 70 mph with 3.15, now it's about 3250. Eighty - where I normally cruise - is about 3750 now, whereas it was 3500 stock. That's okay, but I like 3200 - 3500 better. Problem I was having is that with my build, a comfortable cruise was 90 and sometimes faster. Going with 3.37 made a difference on the bottom - nothing drastic really - but a difference. Best of all, it slowed me back down to 80-ish for a comfortable cruise speed - where the motor's just humming along and it feels good. Were I not tired of pissing away money on this scooter, I'd be thinking a 6-speed. As it is - that and 114" or 120" will wait until rebuild time, many years from now!

Bottom line for ME and I think the majority of riders - the gear-down set up is just too much gear.

Traveler - if you have a tach, I'd be interested in what you're turning at 70, 80, 85 and 90.

GC

Old 01-11-2006, 06:01 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

No tach, but she did 121 MPH on the dyno, topped-out in 5th gear, which is the 6200 RPM redline!

my guess is 3500-4000 RPM in 5th @70 MPH. My 510G's come on real strong at 3500, and at 70, she really runs when you roll on the throttle!

joe
[&:]

Quick Reply: S-E GEAR DOWN KIT