Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

?Frame Tester?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007 | 06:39 PM
HD Attitude
|
Banned
Default ?Frame Tester?

Don't know where exactly this would fit in but I need some help from some Harley techs. When a bike comes in to your shop and it has been wrecked. When you check out the bike, how do you check out the neck to make sure it hasn't been bent ? Is there a tool for that ?

Reason for asking ? Mine was in an accident. The collision department gave the insurance the estimate. I ask if they checked out the neck. they said they didn't think it was harmed. Now that the bike is back together. It pulls to the left when I let go of the handlebars. they jacked the engine over so far till the exhaust hits the floor board now trying to straighten it up. Im not pointing fingers at this point.....but jacking a motor over till it hits the right floorboard is a bit much I think. took it back. will see what comes of it.

Old 12-31-2007 | 07:46 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Default RE: ?Frame Tester?

Usually this can be seen with the naked eye but when in doubt the part must be magnafluxed and then looked at with a black light.

Old 01-01-2008 | 10:23 AM
HD Attitude
|
Banned

Have you ever heard of a frame coming from the factory not being straight ??? Something is making the bike run to the left. Also the store can't seem to get the handlebars straight for some reason. faring and all is not straight.

Old 01-01-2008 | 10:47 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

They didn't replace the frame?????????

Take a look at the powdercoating on the frame, near the rear struts down to the swing arm mount area....

Bet that the coating is cracked , and if it is cracked, the frame has been stressed in that area....

Also look at the down tubes, check for cracking or flaking of the coating....

If I remember correctly, you got hit on the front left (Highway bar, foot board area)...

Your motor got pushed rear and right... That pushed the swing arm to the right....

Old 01-01-2008 | 04:06 PM
HD Attitude
|
Banned

I thought it was common pratice for a Harley shop to magnaflux and then look at the neck with a black light. Why would this guy after me asking Him if he had checked it, would he put the front end back together without checking ? WTF would happen if the neck cracked and while I was riding the bike it broke off ? Why wouldn't a company NOT check the neck after a wreck ? How stupid is that ?

Old 01-01-2008 | 07:36 PM
glide
Road Warrior

There's a company by the name of laser lines that can check and align a frame if it is only tweaked a bit. Your insurance should be responsible for this.

http://www.laser-lines.com/faq.html