Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Want opinions on pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:16 PM
plowboy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want opinions on pipes

Got 20k miles on my '03 FLSTC. Well, after running 19K miles with the baffles out of the stock pipes ....... I'm ready for a change. There are some great sounding pipes out there! I'm usually a lone weekend rider and so far haven't chased down any biker and asked what pipes they have. I really would like pipes with a DEEP sound on the low end. That's what I don't have now. Performance is not a big issue with me.....Sound Is. When I pull in the driveway, I want the dog to at least know I'm home. The ole lady don't ride much ...... so I don't care about it being too loud.

I let the shop do ALL my service. So I'd like more then their opinion.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:24 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Want opinions on pipes

If you want a deep loud sound, look at ANY Bassani pipe. Thunderheader is also a very loud pipe(2:1), so are Samson pipes. Vance and Hines pipe also have a real good sound to them, but I find they tend to be a few db's lower in sound than the other pipes mentioned. Be aware that things like engine compression and the profile of your cams will change the tone of the engines sound and idle quality, lot of factors play a part. Im sure you will have a ton of responses on what other riders think too.......

Old 01-05-2006, 08:27 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

first choice, BASSANI--- second choice, BASSANI--- third choice,BASSANI. Get my drift?

Old 01-05-2006, 09:21 PM
george liles
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggered pipes will do the trick for you!

Old 01-05-2006, 10:10 PM
01pumpkin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the D&D FATCAT. Chrome,fit and finish and sound are excellent.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:01 AM
FASTFXD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW - with sound as the objective, I think MegaHD hit the mark. Other considerations might be Cycle Shack slip-ons and my all-time favorite with sound being the only parameter - straight pipes! No sht! Nothing like the sound of straight pipes on a HD - especially an ironhead Sporty -- but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think for the best bang for your buck the thunder header gets my vote. I would run one if they worked as well on BIG INCH motors as my current e-pipe which by the way is discontinued

I really like th sound of t-header , but compression will vastly changed sound then add cubic inch to that formula and that will change again. For instance I have a 124 t/c with 12.6.1 compression with S&S 640 cams. My pipe is a e-pipe with 18 baffles and mountain motor core no packing, and end cap removed. I find it nice when riding, but NO one will ride on my right side as they tell me it has a very stacto sound. Or bumble bees in there head LOL . What I am getting at is what you hear when riding verse's what others hear can be different. HMMMM sounds like Mega said HA HA

A pipe that I find loud is the bassani but they are pricey

Old 01-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Steve,

I've been thinking about http://www.thunderheader.net/1024.htm , would this work well with my build?

Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tripper

Steve,

I've been thinking about http://www.thunderheader.net/1024.htm , would this work well with my build?
The 2-1 Thunderheader is the same pipe I have. I like it alot, I have some engine work done on my RK and it sounds awsome. I also gained 4HP over true dual Rineharts through out the powerband, major seat of the pants improvement. My neighbor's diffinetlly know when I'm comming or going

Old 01-06-2006, 02:09 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: plowboy

Got 20k miles on my '03 FLSTC. Well, after running 19K miles with the baffles out of the stock pipes ....... I'm ready for a change. There are some great sounding pipes out there! I'm usually a lone weekend rider and so far haven't chased down any biker and asked what pipes they have. I really would like pipes with a DEEP sound on the low end. That's what I don't have now. Performance is not a big issue with me.....Sound Is. When I pull in the driveway, I want the dog to at least know I'm home. The ole lady don't ride much ...... so I don't care about it being too loud.

I let the shop do ALL my service. So I'd like more then their opinion.
My dad has Thunderheader slip-on's and they sound very good and are louder then my 2-1 Thunderheader. His pipes are why I went with Thunderheader.

Quick Reply: Want opinions on pipes