Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Big Boyz head porting (forums supporter!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:02 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Big Boyz head porting (forums supporter!)

Hi,

Gettin ready to call "Bean" @ Big Boyz head porting. I found out about him, as he is now an advertiser on our favorite forum!!!! Does anyone here have any experince with this shop? There's about 4 things that I could get doen to my stock cylinder heads from Bean for a real reasonable price, that would bump-up my 88" in Susie. I'm hoping a good 7-9 HP/ and hopefully as much torque!!!! If I had to choose one, I'd take torque any day, though......well, sorry, I WANT BOTH!!!!!!!!!

joe

Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Big Boyz head porting (forums supporter!)

I'd spend a few extra bucks go with NRHS. Well known reputation, use absolute top notch equipment including a Fadel CNC machine and a SERDI bench. Their results are well known. You get what you pay for. Deweys would also be a great choice, and his heads are known to work great with Andrews and S&S grinds.

BTW, "Torque" doesnt make you fast. Thats a big misconception. HP is the important #. Torque numbers normally give a representation of cylinder fill on a dyno. Torque(which is "twisting force")can be manipulated through proper gearing.

If you got a bike putting down 40hp at 2000rpms compared to a bike putting down 30hp at 2000rpms, the 40hp bike is going to be faster.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: traveler

Hi,

Gettin ready to call "Bean" @ Big Boyz head porting. I found out about him, as he is now an advertiser on our favorite forum!!!! Does anyone here have any experince with this shop? There's about 4 things that I could get doen to my stock cylinder heads from Bean for a real reasonable price, that would bump-up my 88" in Susie. I'm hoping a good 7-9 HP/ and hopefully as much torque!!!! If I had to choose one, I'd take torque any day, though......well, sorry, I WANT BOTH!!!!!!!!!

joe
I have some experience with them. I sent them and email enquiry two days ago , no reply!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:53 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: Wally

ORIGINAL: traveler

Hi,

joe
I have some experience with them. I sent them and email enquiry two days ago , no reply!
I know they are a forum "sponsor" but that place looks real sketchy. I checked their "web cam" link out. Looks like they working out of the back of a tool shed. Place is in serious dissarray. Looked like somebody was using kid's dremel kit to port those heads. Ive been to a number of headshops locally and in the South, most notably T-man Performance and Cycle-rama. Those shops were pristine, you could eat off the floor, tools,machinery, were all in super neat order. Heads properly tagged with individual data sheets. Alot of time and effort kept in keeping the place spic and span. I know a clean shop doesnt equate to a great headport job, but those habits reflect many times the care taken in the jobs at hand. If you cant put the effort in to keep your shop neat,clean and organized, whose to say your going to put any effort into the customers own equipment?

I was informed tonight that someone associated with Big boyz was kicked off the HTT tech site a few weeks back for being real abrasive to a number of members(many of which are engineers in the field)tossing alot of jibberish around and giving false info. Just doesnt give me a good first impression of that place..........too many other well know highly reputable shops around. Why take the chance....

Old 01-05-2006, 12:00 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll go with NRHS.......bought my cam stuff from them. I was treated well, thanks!!!!

joe

Old 01-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

BTW, "Torque" doesnt make you fast. Thats a big misconception. HP is the important #. Torque numbers normally give a representation of cylinder fill on a dyno. Torque(which is "twisting force")can be manipulated through proper gearing.
Torque is the angular eqivalent of force. The larger the force (torque) the larger will be the acceleration all other elements being equal. As an empirical experiment try this: ride along with the bike running at peak torque (approx 4000RPM or so), then punch it. Next ride the bike at peak horse power (approx 5500RPM or so), then punch it. You will find that the acceleration (the kick in your pants) is greater at peak torque than at peak horsepower.

Actually a dynometer measures torque and calculates the horsepower from the formula: horsepower[HP] = (torque[ft-lbs] * RPM)/ 5252. In fact if you check any dyno chart, the torque in ft-lbs will be equal to the horsepower number at 5252 RPMs.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:38 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

WOW Tripper,

I'm Impressed. We have ourselves a genuine Rocket Scientist Here!!!

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-05-2006, 02:01 AM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tripper

Torque is the angular eqivalent of force. The larger the force (torque) the larger will be the acceleration all other elements being equal. As an empirical experiment try this: ride along with the bike running at peak torque (approx 4000RPM or so), then punch it. Next ride the bike at peak horse power (approx 5500RPM or so), then punch it. You will find that the acceleration (the kick in your pants) is greater at peak torque than at peak horsepower.
I am well aware of the definitions of tq. and hp. Funny thing though is that you contradict yourself while you try to make an example as you say: "The larger the force (torque) the larger will be the acceleration all other elements being equal.", as you then try and use an example where all things ARE NOT EQUAL!: "ride along with the bike running at peak torque (approx 4000RPM or so), then punch it. Next ride the bike at peak horse power (approx 5500RPM or so), then punch it." Thats not an "equal" example. Try this: Ride a bike at 4000rpm with 75hp and punch it, then ride another bike(being identical in every aspect except power)again at 4000rpm with 100hp and punch it. I think we both know which is going stretch the arms more.

As my original example above was given taking 2 bikes(being "equal") with one having more hp than another at the same given rpm. The bike with the higher hp will be the faster bike assuming all else is equal.

Like I stated, I look at the HP curve first and foremost. Engine torque in essense is cylinder pressure and nothing more. Cylinder pressure comes from filling the combustion chamber as much as possible. A torque plot on a dyno in essense shows the efficiency and ability of the head to inhale and fill the combustion chamber with the a/f mixture.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

ORIGINAL: Tripper

I am well aware of the definitions of tq. and hp. Funny thing though is that you contradict yourself while you try to make an example as you say: "The larger the force (torque) the larger will be the acceleration all other elements being equal.", as you then try and use an example where all things ARE NOT EQUAL!: "ride along with the bike running at peak torque (approx 4000RPM or so), then punch it. Next ride the bike at peak horse power (approx 5500RPM or so), then punch it." Thats not an "equal" example. Try this: Ride a bike at 4000rpm with 75hp and punch it, then ride another bike(being identical in every aspect except power)again at 4000rpm with 100hp and punch it. I think we both know which is going stretch the arms more. Yes you are correct in your example but then so am I.

As my original example above was given taking 2 bikes(being "equal") with one having more hp than another at the same given rpm. The bike with the higher hp will be the faster bike assuming all else is equal. Are the torque curves the same for both bikes? Or is the torque curve for the bike with the higher horsepower also higher than lower HP bike's torque curve? However what I said still holds each bike will accelerate the fastest at peak torque not peak HP

Like I stated, I look at the HP curve first and foremost. Engine torque in essense is cylinder pressure and nothing more. Cylinder pressure comes from filling the combustion chamber as much as possible. A torque plot on a dyno in essense shows the efficiency and ability of the head to inhale and fill the combustion chamber with the a/f mixture. I repeat: The dyno measures torque at the rear wheel and calculates HP. The air/fuel mixture measurement is done to help in setting up the carb or EFI for the "proper" mixture.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:30 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

Oops sorry, I answered my own question earlier: Since horsepower and torque are related in the equation in my previous post, of course the higher HP bike will also have a higher torque and that is why it accelerates faster: more Touque applied to the road at the rear wheel.

PS: This assumes all other things being equal such as mass of the bike/rider, proper inflation of the tires, etc. etc.

Quick Reply: Big Boyz head porting (forums supporter!)