Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Big Boyz head porting (forums supporter!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Big Boys head porting (forums supporter!)

^ by the way, nevermind.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Big Boyz head porting (forums supporter!)

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Interesting discussion on Torque/Horsepower.

Great explanation. Torque is what determines how quickly it will accelerate, HP is what describes how high it will accelerate to.

We tend to like a lot of low end torque (low side of the RPM) because we don't care how fast we go, we just want to get up to speed quickly.

Mac
Mac, torque does NOT translate or necessarily determine that your bike will accelerate quickly or quicker. I tried to explain it, but check out this link from NRHS, they give a good true fundamental understanding of the full and exact definitions of torque and hp: http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_power.shtml

Ive run across many a bike that put down killer low end tq numbers on a dyno, only to get killed on the road in pure acceleration by another bike with far less low end tq. numbers. Dyno Tq. measurement is not the big picture. Dyno's measure engine tq. only. But its how your bikes gearing is setup, thats what will determine how well matched your bike is setup and how well it will truely accelerate. In reality the 5speed vs. 6 speed debate could be tied into this as well as the gearing spacing and taking full advantage of the engines powerband will also play a role in how fast you are.

My bike is probably softer in real world torque than alot of others in lower portions of the rpm band, but I still can accelerate faster than most even with 2up riding due to the well matched gear setup I placed for my bike. You need to look at a much bigger picture.

Like I said, I use a dyno plots tq. figures to plot the actual cylinder fill and efficiency of the heads, and use the actual horsepower numbers to tell me what this bike really has under the hood for potential speed and acceleration. Then I use that knowledge to gear the bike correctly to take full advantage of the bikes power.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:14 PM
The King
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michaelangelo and DeVinci did it with simple paint brushes and not air brushes and compressors with stencils designed on a computer! It's the man behind the tools and not the tools themselves. We should not be so quick to judge others without first hand experience and not just hearsay. IMO

Dave

Old 01-05-2006, 01:23 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

megaHDman
I have had a couple of email's from people(included from both this board and Harley Tech Talk) not overly impressed with the hand port work you do.
Lets keep this thread as an informational thread and not headed downhill like so many others that get locked because of these type of replies that go unsubstantiated.

baggersport has furnished information to his business for people to check out and is a sponsor here also.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:25 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: The King

Michaelangelo and DeVinci did it with simple paint brushes and not air brushes and compressors with stencils designed on a computer! It's the man behind the tools and not the tools themselves. We should not be so quick to judge others without first hand experience and not just hearsay. IMO

Dave
Well I can tell you, you don't need Michaelangelo or DaVinci to improve the flow and performance from a Twin Cam head. An amateur can do it with basic tools. The exhaust port is so restricitive that you can literally use a dremel style tool and open it up without much precision or care and make significant gains, thats no joke or exageration.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: traveler

Does anyone here have any experince with this shop?
TCSTD, thats the whole point of this thread, this isnt the type of web board where just because he is a sponsor, we all have to keep mum about experiences and reputation of a place right?

I got a couple emails from members on this board today that are not impressed by this guys work, and plenty more from another forum with poor experiences in dealing with people from this place...........I think its best everybody see the big picture before commiting time and money to a place, any place for that matter, whether good or bad. Don't you agree?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:10 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Mega

You opinion is as usual very agressive and done in poor taste. Your opinions are just that "Your Opinions" and as such ,you are entitled to them for what ever they are worth, but when you post them here like you have and the way you have attacking everybody that doesn't agree with you, it shows poor judgement on your part and lack of control in some areas.

I feel that if a person furnished the info on their business, that they are not hiding anything from potential customers.

This thread is locked.

[sm=lockeddance.gif]

Old 01-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Interesting discussion on Torque/Horsepower.

Great explanation. Torque is what determines how quickly it will accelerate, HP is what describes how high it will accelerate to.

We tend to like a lot of low end torque (low side of the RPM) because we don't care how fast we go, we just want to get up to speed quickly.

Mac
Mac, torque does NOT translate or necessarily determine that your bike will accelerate quickly or quicker. I tried to explain it, but check out this link from NRHS, they give a good true fundamental understanding of the full and exact definitions of torque and hp: http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_power.shtml Yes, this is indeed true. Many, many factors come into play when talking real world performance not just torque. The homilies mentioned are great oversimplifications but they get the point across with out going in to a laborous discussion.

Ive run across many a bike that put down killer low end tq numbers on a dyno, only to get killed on the road in pure acceleration by another bike with far less low end tq. numbers. Dyno Tq. measurement is not the big picture. Dyno's measure engine tq. only. But its how your bikes gearing is setup, thats what will determine how well matched your bike is setup and how well it will truely accelerate. In reality the 5speed vs. 6 speed debate could be tied into this as well as the gearing spacing and taking full advantage of the engines powerband will also play a role in how fast you are. I don't think anybody here, especially myself, would care to dispute the obvious.

My bike is probably softer in real world torque than alot of others in lower portions of the rpm band, but I still can accelerate faster than most even with 2up riding due to the well matched gear setup I placed for my bike. You need to look at a much bigger picture. Also true. When I raced motocross on a short twisty course, I would gear down; for dessert racing, I would gear up.

Like I said, I use a dyno plots tq. figures to plot the actual cylinder fill and efficiency of the heads, and use the actual horsepower numbers to tell me what this bike really has under the hood for potential speed and acceleration. Then I use that knowledge to gear the bike correctly to take full advantage of the bikes power. So you admit that the dyno does measure torque and that you use this to calculate or plot the rest. I did esentially the same thing in using Mr. Seat O'Dapants dyno to rejet my bike for altitude conditions as one week we would be racing high dessert and the next week at sea level or below. Since I could afford only one bike at the time to use for motocross, dessert, and trials riding, I had a few sprokets that I could interchange depending on the type of event and other conditions to get the best perfomance that I could.