Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Big Boyz head porting (forums supporter!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Big Boyz head porting (forums supporter!)

Couldn't you have the same torque, but peaking at say a hypothetical 10k rpm, giving you a much higher horespowered motor with same torque values just.

Of course, in the limited rev range of our motors, it doesnt come into play too much.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:13 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Now thats a warm welcome. The tools in the shop that you refered to as "kids dremel tools" are actually Professional Porting tools designed for just that. That is the porting shop. The bike shop is up the road a bit. The porting shop was split off because no mater what time of night, if people see the lights on they tend to stop in. The porting shop is more secluded and allows us to get the job done. It's a shame to see people with negative comments that have no experience with Bean's work or product.

Bean, (baggersport) is the head porter. He has been porting Harley Davidson Heads for over 16 years and is quite good at it. He has been porting Twin Cam heads since they came out in 1998. Last year Bean decided to make his heads available to the general public. Until then he ported for bike shops only. I am sure he will be making a post introducing himself in the very near future.

To the person that sent an email and hasn't recieved a response yet, that is partially my fault. If you read the other thread welcoming Big Boyz as a Sponsor, it mentions that I do his IT work. I run a small webhosting company on the side and host Big Boyz site. One of my servers, that hosts Big Boyz site and Email, went down and wasn't back up until around 2pm this afternoon. I suspect he will be responding to emails tomorrow as a result. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Of course there are phone numbers where he can be reached also. Days 207-621-1001 at the Bike shop and Eves 207-621-8089 at the Port shop. The phone numbers are the best way to contact him and is the reason it is on the ad.

As for the HTT, I am the one the got banned there. That is totally unrelated and irrelevant to this or any other forum or to the quality of work performed. What you heard are rumors and are extremely inaccurate. I believe given a fair chance my merits stand on there own.

Thank you for your time.
springer_

Old 01-05-2006, 03:27 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Springer,

Don't worry about the negative comments. We have thousands of members here and you just can't make everybody happy. I am interested in your heads but I'm gonna have to wait for awhile to build up the bank account a little. I've done some work already on my 95 ci but I realize that head work is the only thing that will make it run the way I want it too. I'm sure you will get some business because of your experience and the price at which you offer your product. Some of the bigger wrenches on the forum are use to the big advertized names in the business and will continue to promote them. All it will take is for one happy customer here using your heads and it will take off like a wildfire in Texas.

Thanks for the Sponsorship

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Couldn't you have the same torque, but peaking at say a hypothetical 10k rpm, giving you a much higher horespowered motor with same torque values just.

Of course, in the limited rev range of our motors, it doesnt come into play too much.
Yes, you are correct. The Hayabuse, some say the worlds fastest motorcycle, has a peak torque of about 98 ft-lbs at 7000 RPM and a peak HP of 158 at 9750, but everthing else holds: peak acceleration at 7000 RPM (peak torque) and the curves still cross at 5252 RPM plus the bike weighs 478 lbs.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:34 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!

I wasn't disputing anything, just making sure what I thought was correct.

[sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 01-05-2006, 09:33 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: terryt1955

Springer,

Don't worry about the negative comments. We have thousands of members here and you just can't make everybody happy.
Amen to that Terry, some people will be contrary to everything everyone says and go to great lengths to show it

Old 01-05-2006, 11:03 AM
baggersport
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW..... using kids dremel tools, abrasive to other people, false information..........do you work for another porter or maybe just friends? I have seen this kind of thing before when someone feels threatened or thinks they're doing a friend a favor. I have been porting H-D heads for over 16 years, TC heads since '98 with hundreds of Evos before that. My porting tools have cost well over $1k.
I am happy to address any questions about my work, feel free to give me a call. Some may feel that because the price of my porting is reasonable, it may not be equal to what others may offer. I am very efficient at what I do and pass the savings in time onto the customer. I can and used to charge more for this work, does that make it better? I am a biker and not willing to steal money from my customers, I feel that the price I ask is reasonable and affords the average enthusiast the opportunity to have ported heads. I am confident to say that NEVER has someone asscociated with me made claims that are false.

Feel free to contact me
207-621-1001 days at the bike shop
207-621-8089 eves at the port shop

MegaHDman.......your more than welcome to call also......and if you find yourself in my neck of the woods, I'll be happy to let you clean the shop.........lol

Thanks, Bean

Old 01-05-2006, 11:21 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting discussion on Torque/Horsepower.

When I was stationed in NC, one of my Marines owned a race shop, and built cars for the strip. Very good at his job. I was listening to him tell another one of my Marines the difference between torque and HP. I quote, "Torque is what you feel in your butt, HP is how fast it will go at the top side."

Great explanation. Torque is what determines how quickly it will accelerate, HP is what describes how high it will accelerate to.

We tend to like a lot of low end torque (low side of the RPM) because we don't care how fast we go, we just want to get up to speed quickly.

Tripper, you made me get my physics book out from college...took me a few minutes to find it, I've got a headache now, so I'm headed to work. I think I will stick to flying helicopters.

Mac

Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

Interesting discussion on Torque/Horsepower.

When I was stationed in NC, one of my Marines owned a race shop, and built cars for the strip. Very good at his job. I was listening to him tell another one of my Marines the difference between torque and HP. I quote, "Torque is what you feel in your butt, HP is how fast it will go at the top side."

Great explanation. Torque is what determines how quickly it will accelerate, HP is what describes how high it will accelerate to.

We tend to like a lot of low end torque (low side of the RPM) because we don't care how fast we go, we just want to get up to speed quickly.

Tripper, you made me get my physics book out from college...took me a few minutes to find it, I've got a headache now, so I'm headed to work. I think I will stick to flying helicopters.

Mac
Your friend is correct and take two APCs for your headache before you head to your duty station.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Big Boys head porting (forums supporter!)

Great debate but I have a question. What is BTW short for?

Quick Reply: Big Boyz head porting (forums supporter!)