Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

muffler clamps

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 PM
raymond357
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default muffler clamps

i read several posts in this forum about installing new clamps on new slipons , i checked with the dealershipand talked with the tech. was told i did not have to change clamps just make sure the nut is on one of the flaps. but in still not sure ,i would like to know how often is this a problem to get a idea about changing them , i know they are cheap but still money saved

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (06-08-2021)
Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Arizona Flash
Cruiser
Default RE: muffler clamps

Just IMHO:

The TORCA Clamps have an "I" beam looking piece between the clamp ears that the bolt goes through. I think it's called a reaction bracket or something like that, but I'll just call this the "pinch". The pinch is very soft steel. When torque is applied, the clamp ears squeeze against the pinch, deforming the pinch towards the center of the clamp. This applies clamping pressure to the area that normally would not receive any if it was just a T-Bolt clamp. So, when you remove the TORCA clamp, the pinch is deformed for the particular features it just came off of. I would guess that you can re-install it with the same exhaust pipe and muffler and only have to torque it a few foot pounds more to get that pinch to deform just a little bit more and do its job.

If you are replacing the mufflers with aftermarket units, I would expect you should use new TORCA clamps because the thickness of aftermarket muffler sheet metal varies and you may reach torque before you form the pinch where it should be. Resulting in that bottom section where the pinch is not doing anything at all.

Again, just my humble opinion but if it's doing as I described above, I think it's a great clamp.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (06-08-2021)
Old 12-24-2007, 05:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll second Flash's advise about changing the clamps. I've had trouble with my right muffler slipping backward which was mostly fixed by replacing the clamp. It still slipped a bit so I bought a second muffler bushing for the rear mount and installed it forward of the normal position, thus I now have two bushings one in front of the other. This keeps the muffler from moving and has worked so far.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:09 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I've used the same clamps when I changed to Cycle Shack slip ons, then back to stock, then again on Screamin Eagle slip ons. I put a bead of Ultra Copper Sealant on the mufflers each timeand haven't had any issues.
J.B.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
extech
Road Master

Well I can tell you from numerous instances where customers mufflers fell off by not replacing their exhaust clamps, especially Dynas, if clamps are loose on a Dyna the mufflers fall off, you can imagine what an ugly situation could come of that. I've seen Touring bikes come in dragging the front portion of the muffler also, that could get really ugly too!
Don't be a cheap a$$, spend a couple extra bucks and be safe.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
rockstar_josh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a brand new pair of SE slip-ons fall off in traffic because of the clamps. $300 down the tubes. My advice, change the clamps and tighten those sons of b*tches with everything you've got!