Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Oil Pressure Problem, HELP Please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 AM
jseabee
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Problem, HELP Please.

Help for 99 Custom Softail

I have never been a big fan of idiot lights because I prefer to see a gauge any day of the week. Here is the issue though, after completely redoing the upper end of my motor because the other idiot who owned it before me used RTV silicone seal with all the gaskets clogging some oil ports and just made a mess of the heads.

I cleaned it all up used all of the correct parts and materials, I have an actual service manual for the bike I havereplaced the oil pressure sending unit witha 60 psi gauge, 2 oil changes (20W-50)check all of the lines, pulled the oil filter (even replaced it, no help), crankcase drain plug, and cleaned the crankcase oil screen; all areas were full of oil. I even pulled the dipstick after the engine got up to speed to see if the oil was circulating (big mistake) oil went everywhere. So the oil is circulating. I plan on re-torquing the headbolts this week and seeing if that makes any difference.

With a cold start I have 50 psi of oil pressure at Idle and gradually decreases to 0 psi at Idle after about 15 minutes, good and warm, bump the throttle and the oil pressure jumps to 10+ psi. Totally confused and just want to ride without damaging the engine.

Thanks,
John

Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Oil Pressure Problem, HELP Please.

All HD engines are based on volume of oil and not pressure. Cold start because the oil moves slowly will give a higher reading, after heating up, at idle it is not unusual to have 0 pressure, raised RPM's will bump the presure slightly. Frankly, I don't believe you have a problem.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two things I would try:
Straight 50 wt oil to see if there is a change.
Pull the plug at the bottom of the engine and measure the amount of oil (should be 9 to 14 ounces).

Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well you have a evo. A few things i would look at. First off is the pump stock?? If so what is the condition of the pump?? Look for any galling in the pump cavity. check flatness as well. Does it have the correct gaskets in the pump. So simple checks may save you a bunch of money and head ache.