Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help me build my 2006 Train w/ 95" kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 06:38 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help me build my 2006 Train w/ 95" kit

I have ordered a new 06 Train and Stage II kit. Since the jugs and heads are being sent out for diamond cutting, and since the engine hasn't been built yet, I have some time to reflect on what I want to do. I have read these forums and have found a bazillion different combos, so if you could please take some time for me, please give me the perfect recipe because it's very confusing for a newbie who need to make decisions in the next couple of weeks..

What I have is a 2K budget, and I guess I could go over that if I have to, but I've gone nuts on paint and accessories, so I don't want to get carried away on hardware that I don't really need..
I am using Hooker Troublemaker pipes and Kuryakyn Twin Velocity intake. I know there is better, but I like the style of these units.
I am looking to go directly to gear drive cams and a Baisley spring.
I want to keep my heads stock, and see what benefits the new 06' heads give me.
I'm a big guy at 275 lbs, and most of my riding is in town and short 20-30 mile rides. I like my torque down low, but I don't want to slam the power door shut at 3,500 RPMs with the 203 cams.
Something that runs up into the lower to mid 4000 RPM range would be great. I don't care to rev any higher than that..
I prefer to use the stock, 95" SE Stage II flat top pistons which I have read runs at about 9.0 to 1.
PLEASE correct me if the ratio is wrong.
I couldn't care less about gas mileage, I don't care about warranty, but I do want a bike that doesn't come with a lot of cam "baggage" Something mild-mid level that is very streetable, but will bark when I grab some throttle.

Thanks everyone who replies. I plan on visitung the dealer this coming week and talk to him also.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:54 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Help me build my 2006 Train w/ 95" kit

USE A VANCE AND HINES PRO PIPE WITH ANDREWS TW-37 GEAR DRIVE CAMS WITH RACE TUNER AND YOU WILL HAVE NO TROUBLE GETTING 100/100 WITH THE LEQST AMOUNT OG MONEYTHE BIG BORE AND THAT COMBO WILL SERVE YOU WELL.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure why your starting up a new thread for this, it was all covered in the other threads repeatedly.

Stock heads, 95" flat top cast pistons(and the compression will run from about 9:1 to about 9.6:1 depending on your head casting, all stock HD heads have variences from head to head of a few cc's thats why you cant get an exact compression ratio, only a RANGE), go with an Andrews 26g cam and do the gear drive conversion along with a Baisley oil bypass spring in the camplate. Case open and shut. Great power from 1800-4800 rpms.

George, there may be a million combinations, but with the specifics you gave, I told you what will be best. Andrews 26g cams are designed to work with stock or slightly bump compression(as you will have), their intake closing point and minimal degree overlap between the valves will make sure those pipes your using dont rob too much low end torque, and finially you stated your riding style, which again these cams are suited for perfectly for you. Good low end and midrange power for scooting around town. The gear drive helps reliability, the baisely bypass spring will help keep the oil flow to the critical components. Thats it, simple setup. WHat more do you need to know? NUMBERS DONT LIE, and physics of mechanical parts dont change based on an advertising catalogue, no matter whats said.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:55 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: MACK

USE A VANCE AND HINES PRO PIPE WITH ANDREWS TW-37 GEAR DRIVE CAMS WITH RACE TUNER AND YOU WILL HAVE NO TROUBLE GETTING 100/100 WITH THE LEQST AMOUNT OG MONEYTHE BIG BORE AND THAT COMBO WILL SERVE YOU WELL.
He's not changing pipes, hes not getting headwork done as stated, so there is no point recommending the 37g cam or the other pipes.................37g cams only with some mild headwork. With no headwork the 26g is a much better choice.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:03 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

No disrespect. I just wanted to fish for a few more scenerios, and I'm very bored today here in dreary Buffalo, NY..

A couple of questions regarding your recommended combo, and as usual, thank you for your time...
First, is it true the 95" SE compression ratio is 9.3 to 1?
Second, if this is true, would you still recommend using a Cometic .030 to bump compression to 9.7 to 1, and would that offer more torque and better overall combustion without clearence problems with either the 26G or 37G??

Thirdly, the 06' heads are suppose to flow much better than the 05' and prior heads. That said, do you feel the 37G is still not the best choice, and which head caracteristic still needs attention to make it work, ports? Milling? Simple exhaust change? God, I HATE the look and sound of a 2 into 1..[:'(]
Fourth, I know you feel strongly about the Hooker pipes, but these are a new product that HDWrench has heard good results from. Second hand, and maybe third hand info, nothing concrete. I'll try to find that particular post..I could be hallucinating..
Does the Bassani really make such a dramatic difference, and why? The only real difference between the Bassani and the Hooker is the overall pipe length difference, which is very very slight. Both are stepped & coated, which my research shows to be a major advantage over a non stepped & coated pipe such as the V-H line. Ceramic coating is a proven commodity..
You also commented that the Hooker pipes are too short, but so are the Bassanis, and I'm just trying to understand your thought process on the difference.
I'm a dago, and having said that, I gotta have a little style too![sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 01-01-2006, 10:53 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: George C

No disrespect. I just wanted to fish for a few more scenerios, and I'm very bored today here in dreary Buffalo, NY..
No problem looking for different scenarios, but you limited the realistic ones with the "claims" of what you supposedly want from the bike.

A couple of questions regarding your recommended combo, and as usual, thank you for your time...
First, is it true the 95" SE compression ratio is 9.3 to 1?
First off, you CAN'T get and exacting static compression ratio with stock heads(unless you pull them off and measure the cc volume physcially). Every head made from HD will have slightly different combustion chamber volumes. In thruth you can get a "range" of what the static cr is going to be. The realistic range of the static compression your going to get using a cast SE flat top piston is going to around 9:0-9.6:1 depending on headgasket thickness. And with such a modest compression a few tenths of a point is not going to make any noticeable difference in hp or tq that you could physically feel.

Second, if this is true, would you still recommend using a Cometic .030 to bump compression to 9.7 to 1, and would that offer more torque and better overall combustion without clearence problems with either the 26G or 37G??
Both cams work well with a static compression range of around 9.5:1.

Thirdly, the 06' heads are suppose to flow much better than the 05' and prior heads. That said, do you feel the 37G is still not the best choice, and which head caracteristic still needs attention to make it work, ports? Milling? Simple exhaust change? God, I HATE the look and sound of a 2 into 1..[:'(]
The 06' heads exhaust ports flow a bit better, but again its nothing to get all excited about, the improvement is very marginal in real world applications. 06' bikes opened up the exhaust ports a bit, while choking off the intake side of the bike(On fuel injected models), go figure.
Regardless if your keeping your stock heads, no matter what year, 26g cams are BETTER suited for your bike. Doing mild port and valve work? Then 37g cams would be my first choice. But with stock heads, 26g cams will give better performance and be stronger off idle.

Exhaust change? Thought you already bought those pipes? Don't need a 2:1 for performance. But if your really worried about "performance" proper header/exhaust pipe length is essential.

Fourth, I know you feel strongly about the Hooker pipes, but these are a new product that HDWrench has heard good results from. Second hand, and maybe third hand info, nothing concrete. I'll try to find that particular post..I could be hallucinating..
Key word here: "Heard". I hear alot of things too. But I let logic and results lead me down the right path. No need to find the post, I already know what was said.

Does the Bassani really make such a dramatic difference, and why? The only real difference between the Bassani and the Hooker is the overall pipe length difference, which is very very slight. Both are stepped & coated, which my research shows to be a major advantage over a non stepped & coated pipe such as the V-H line. Ceramic coating is a proven commodity..
And what do you consider to be "very very slight"? What length do you think the Pro Street pipes are? They are significantly longer than the hooker pipes you showed me. And the rear pipe on that Hooker exhaust was about the length of my forearm.

Stepped and ceramic coatings have what advantage? Stepping a pipe thats overly short has 0 advantages, you got bigger issues than worrying about reversion and cylinder scavaging. Stepping an overly short pipe is gimmick only in my book. Ceramic coating is going to do nothing for performance on a typical street exhaust

Old 01-02-2006, 04:10 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm meeting with my dealer tomorrow, and will order up the engine to your specs.
95" flat tops, Baisley spring, Cometic .030, Andrews 26G cams, SERT.
I like it..
I don't mind tossing the factory engine warranty because I hope not to have to use it anyway. If I need to, the dealer does warranty their work for 1 year, and I'm not one to travel very far on a motorcycle. For what I spend, and I don't haggle, I would think they would want to have my back anyway.
As for the cam gear drive sprockets, what company do you recommend?
I have also read about the advantages of a 4 degree advance sprockets. What is the advantages/disadvantages, and does it pertain at all to your combination?
Now, if I could get someone who has run Bassani Prostreets without a sign of them browning out, I might even change that too.

Thanks again.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:31 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

I'm meeting with my dealer tomorrow, and will order up the engine to your specs.
95" flat tops, Baisley spring, Cometic .030, Andrews 26G cams, SERT.
I like it..
I don't mind tossing the factory engine warranty because I hope not to have to use it anyway. If I need to, the dealer does warranty their work for 1 year, and I'm not one to travel very far on a motorcycle. For what I spend, and I don't haggle, I would think they would want to have my back anyway.
As for the cam gear drive sprockets, what company do you recommend?
I have also read about the advantages of a 4 degree advance sprockets. What is the advantages/disadvantages, and does it pertain at all to your combination?
Now, if I could get someone who has run Bassani Prostreets without a sign of them browning out, I might even change that too.

Thanks again.
95" CAST flat tops: Good choice.
Baisley spring: Good choice (do you know where to get it? If not I always have a couple extra hangin around)
Andrews 26g cam: Good choice
Cometic MLS .030 good choice, make sure your dealer clays the piston to valve clearance though, can never be too safe.

S&S gear drive: They patented it, they the only ones where you can get em from. Andrews actually makes the gears for them, then S&S stamps their name on the package. www.partsthatfithd.com has the cheapest price on the kit that Ive seen, and they garentee it. They will beat anyone's price.

Stay away from advancing or retarding the cam degree. Thats just a band-aid fix to move the rpm powerband up or down a few hundred rpms, not needed with the 26g.

As for the Bassani Pro-Streets, did you see the posted pictures in the OTHER thread? You can get em with heat shields, just like any other pipe. No browning is going to show through, thats what the heat shields are for..........to keep the pipes looking pretty.

Or better yet, get the Pro Streets in Cermaic black, then have 0 worries from anybodies opinion or experience on them LOL!..........

Old 01-03-2006, 02:45 AM
FASTFXD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey George,

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Folks I know have had great success with the Andrews 26 and the recipe you're set to follow is a proven performer. I would suggest you consider spending another $300 - $400 for mild headwork to really make that motor come alive... since you'll have those heads off anyway. AMS, BigBoyz, SBC and others can do ya a nice job. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2006, 02:25 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I have to say is, do the HEADS along with everything else!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Help me build my 2006 Train w/ 95" kit