Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

A tru bolt in cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Default A tru bolt in cam?

Well I've asked every where else so I'll ask here to, 06 bagger efi, 203 cam's now, they are coming out because of the tensioners, I've been told the Andrews 26, but then I need to bump up comp, TW6, bump up comp, what about the HQ0034, does it also need more comp, I actually thought I could just put in geardrives and pick up some hp & tq over what I had but it seems that I'm going to have to pull off the heads, now I don't want anyone that has give me advice already to take this as a I don't beleive you but I am hoping that someone that just did a bolt in will give me some actual thought's.
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: A tru bolt in cam?

Andrews 26 & HQ-0034 will be fine on stock compression. I have used both w/o increased compression many times. In fact, I would advise AGAINST increasing compression with the 26's. THey are designed to work best in with stock heads & compression. Performance shops will always tell you to bump compression because it will give you better numbers "on paper", and that is their "deliverable" to you. In real life, it will also incresae the likelihood of detination (ping). I have gotten very close to 100ft/bls of torque on several occassions with nothing more than 26's, a 95" bigbore kit, and tune. I have also had good luck with both 26's & 0034's in otherwise stock 88's.

Both the 0034's and TW6's will take advantage of increased compression and work fine with proper tune.

Any of the three you mentioned will be dramatically better then the 203's you have!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey PhilM, I just dropped a set of 37H's in my 07 Road Glide. They're not as torquey down low but they spin up farther. They're real sweet between 2500 - 5K. Me likem....

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,862 Likes on 807 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tn.Heritage

Well I've asked every where else so I'll ask here to, 06 bagger efi, 203 cam's now, they are coming out because of the tensioners, I've been told the Andrews 26, but then I need to bump up comp, TW6, bump up comp, what about the HQ0034, does it also need more comp, I actually thought I could just put in geardrives and pick up some hp & tq over what I had but it seems that I'm going to have to pull off the heads, now I don't want anyone that has give me advice already to take this as a I don't beleive you but I am hoping that someone that just did a bolt in will give me some actual thought's.
Thanks in advance.
The HQ-0034G cams sound like what you're after. From HQ's website:

Bolt-in cams for 1450 and 1550cc engines using stock or modified heads. Good power increases throughout the whole RPM range. Makes the mid-range very responsive. This cam is extremely popular with the dealers that use it It could “agruably” be the best bolt in cam on the market if we had the advertising budget to market it properly.

I went with HQ-0039G cams along with head work, last winter, but kept the stock comperssion and displacement. With those mods, (and my carb in need of a good tuning) I gained 21 hp and 19 ft-lbs - a 34% increase in power and a 27% increase in torque, over the stage 1 setup I had. This winter, I'm doing the 95" @ 10:1 compression. I expect to be in the 100 hp/ 100 ft-lbs ballpark after those mods.

The best thing you can do is call Doug at HQ and tell him what you're after. He'll steer you in the right direction.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I like my 26G's.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: scootertramp

Hey PhilM, I just dropped a set of 37H's in my 07 Road Glide. They're not as torquey down low but they spin up farther. They're real sweet between 2500 - 5K. Me likem....
I ran 37's in my RG for a bit as well. If ya can get the compresion up to about 9.5:1, have your heads done, and use a good 2into1 pipe, like a FatCat, you'll get some bottom end back. Mine made good power, but in a heavy bike like I really wanted much more down low w/o having to worry about pinging.

THey may work better in the 96" than the did in my 95 due the the increase stroke on your 07.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Guy's I appreciate the advice, I might think about just boring the jugs and putting some cam's without the headwork and see how that does, my budget is tight, maybe $1000 at best, I'll do some digging and see what I come up with.
Phil I would like to give ya a shout maybe in the future if you don't mind.

Thanks.Mark

Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the HQ-0034 cams in my '04 EG with Rinehart TD's and SE a/c and highly recommend them. Personally, I am waiting to pull the heads and change pistons until Ialsohave good head work done--for me, it doesn't make good $en$e to bore cylinders and swap pistons without the head work and cam choice made for "complimentary" components.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:10 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vote for the HQ 34's, did two sets of them last year and was more than pleased with the results on both, great performance, smooth running, excellent roll on torque. I believe this is one of if not the very best bolt in for an 88 available. The 36 degree intake close will build enough cylinder pressure yetwithout causing pinging, Also, the bikes were very easy to tune.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:56 PM
drhooligan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the HQ 34's a good cam for an 07 96" with stock heads?

Quick Reply: A tru bolt in cam?