Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

WHO IS BEST ON HEADS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 02:11 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WHO IS BEST ON HEADS

I had my heads sent out to Baisley HI-Performance in Portland, OR. Cost was $730.00 included Shipping their and back. It only took 10 days to get them back. Very happy with the performance. My Dad is sending his off this winnter.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:58 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,825 Likes on 1,278 Posts

With all the head porters making tons of money on head porting....I personally would not use any of them on a street bike UNLESS you are out for every drop of horsepower. Most head work only really comes into effect at high RPM. Is that where you run your bike?
I used S.E.Performance heads that are box stock with no work, just bolted 'em on. I am making 96/96 on my bagger and they only cost me $600! I also then sold my take off heads for $300, so in reality they cost me only $300. If you want to spend close to a grand having your heads done with the newset/hottest setup go for it, but you probelly will only make about 1 or 2 more horse than me on the street!
It's kinda like guys putting in cams...gotta be the biggest and baddest to only have bike be a pain to ride. Spend wisely and your bike will be more fun to ride and easier to fix down road if a problem arises.
[sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 12-30-2005, 06:37 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

With all the head porters making tons of money on head porting....I personally would not use any of them on a street bike UNLESS you are out for every drop of horsepower. Most head work only really comes into effect at high RPM. Is that where you run your bike?
I used S.E.Performance heads that are box stock with no work, just bolted 'em on. I am making 96/96 on my bagger and they only cost me $600! I also then sold my take off heads for $300, so in reality they cost me only $300. If you want to spend close to a grand having your heads done with the newset/hottest setup go for it, but you probelly will only make about 1 or 2 more horse than me on the street!
It's kinda like guys putting in cams...gotta be the biggest and baddest to only have bike be a pain to ride. Spend wisely and your bike will be more fun to ride and easier to fix down road if a problem arises.
[sm=icon_beat.gif]
1 or 2 hp more than you on the street? Hardly with 95/95 numbers on a 95" motor. I can get 95/105 numbers with stock heads with just a bit of cleanup around the valves and the exhaust port opened up just a bit. Most headwork doesnt just come on high in the power dept. thats a big fallacy. Headwork done to stock heads has shown improvements of 10-20 foot pounds or more of tq in the 2-3000rpm range depending on who has done the work. Having your stock heads reworked has many advantages to "one size fits all" SE heads. You get a better quality springpack and valves normally thats properly sized for your specific camshaft. Combustion chambers are cc match'd(again to the camsaft to optimize the running compression), and many times ports are worked over for optimal flow and velocity.

The basic SE heads have some big problems with milder camshafts due to their small combustion chamber(they jack the static cr too high causing tuning issues for many) and have been known to have issues with valve to piston clearance if not used with an overly thick headgasket which creates a poor squishband. I never recommend basic SE heads unless I know a customer has the proper parts to make full use of the heads without fitment issues.

There is no substitute for quality headwork done matched to the rest of your engine for a specific combo.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:37 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,825 Likes on 1,278 Posts

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. The more you spend the faster you can go. My opinion is just that for an average street bike high buck head work is not worth the money FOR MOST riders.
I quitt racing my Pro Stock Duster years ago when it was starting to cost $5000.00 for 10 more horse. Is it worth it for racing? Yes if you want to win. Is it worth it for the street? You decide...it's your money.
[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 12-30-2005, 08:06 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. The more you spend the faster you can go. My opinion is just that for an average street bike high buck head work is not worth the money FOR MOST riders.
I quitt racing my Pro Stock Duster years ago when it was starting to cost $5000.00 for 10 more horse. Is it worth it for racing? Yes if you want to win. Is it worth it for the street? You decide...it's your money.
[sm=groupwave.gif]

Check the other thread out, you can have stuck with your 37g cams, and sent your STOCK heads out for just a valve cleanup/deshrouding job(and continue to use your stock valves and springpacks which are just fine for cams in the .500-.525 TDC lift range) with the combustion chambers cc matched for less than $300. You would have had significantly more tq down low where you want it in a touring bike while maintaining you midrange power.

Most people knowlegeable on twin cam motors knows you can pick up alot of tq and hp just by cleaning up the stock heads. The stock heads have ALOT of potential in them. You can spend as little as $2-300 for a mild headjob done on them using your stock springpacks and valves for lowend and midrange cams like the 26g or 37g, or go all out and spend $1000 or more for serious performance cams like some of S&S's grinds like the 625 or 640g. Ive gone all the routes, I know what can be had.

I never really recommend any SE heads unless the customers already have them and are stuck using them, then I recommend cams that are compatible and designed towards using the strengths of the heads in question. Take the basic SE heads. The 2 cams I recommend most for them are the Woods TW-5g and the S&S 570g cams. They make the best use of these heads without tuning issues using a .035 headgasket and traditional SE cast flat top pistons. THeir intake closing point of 40 degrees gives a great balance of monster low and midrange torque while allowing the bike to rev freely to just over 6k. For people who have their stock heads sent out, I normally like to use the S&S 585g or Woods TW-6HG, they are very similiar to the other cams in basic timing with a bit more lift for better cylinder fill if the heads are set up to allow it. The opposite direction for those on a budget brings us to the Andrews 37g or 26g cams or the S&S 510g using stock heads with a basic cleanup.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:21 PM
truethumphd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

I had my heads sent out to Baisley HI-Performance in Portland, OR. Cost was $730.00 included Shipping their and back. It only took 10 days to get them back. Very happy with the performance. My Dad is sending his off this winnter.
Baisley's is really good, theyve been in the business for quite a while. Be sure to mark your heads when you do figure out who to send them off to, make sure you get YOUR heads back.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:58 AM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

ORIGINAL: LRonHoover

What was true 25 years ago still holds today
JERRY BRANCH.
I guess we would be running shovel heads then right?

I love statements like this. People that think a guy who made great HP on engine X must be able to make great HP on engine Y. It is just not the case. Look at the Vrod motor. Not many quality tuners out their bulding 8 second motors. Glad I am one mans pit crew who has one. One tuner does nto fit all. The same goes for cars, boats etc. Heck. The guy who did my Vetter is not the guy who did my boat but it is the same block.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 AM
fxdxsteve
Banned

A couple of years ago I read an article about jerry branch it said he helped design the bathtub combustion chamber .he's improved on the stock chamber immensly thats why I went with the branch package 36000 miles later I'm still happy I'll try to find the article and post it

steve

Old 01-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,303 Likes on 1,410 Posts

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

I'll second Baisley's I've had them a two other bikes and they are going on my current ride soon.
Latus Motors in Portland Or. (also home to Baisley) has them on the shelf with an exchange program if you want to save down time.
http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/

Check out some of these dyno charts from Latus using Baisley heads
http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...iew.asp?fid=43

Old 01-21-2006, 02:40 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also checkout a Dyno of a bike they just recently tuned that has Big Boyz Heads on it.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...at&setcookie=1

BTW, that was a $299 porting job. And the SAE corrected numbers are 110tq an 100hp.

Quick Reply: WHO IS BEST ON HEADS