Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

103 Big Bore Kit - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM
edgerider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 Big Bore Kit - Worth it?

OK - The dealer is offering a 2 day special in conjunction with Harley's Elbow Grease labor deal. I can get the $1199.00 103 Big Bore kit for my 2007 Road King Classic for 20% off plus another $100 off for labor - I was quoted 8 hours labor at $72.50/hr. So doing the math, the kit would be $959.20, labor at $580, less $100 for a total of $1439.20. Oh, yeah, I then need to spend $149.00 for the flash download. I thought about also getting the HD SERT at $439, but I'm leaning towards the Thundermax AutoTune.... costs more, but in the long run, I think the savings on both my wallet and engine will be justified.

So, any feedback on the Big Bore upgrade? Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/31682/C2A2EE5F3512455582450F2323A4F2FC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Default RE: 103 Big Bore Kit - Worth it?

The deal sounds good, I think you will get better value going to a different vendor like HQ or GMR or Zippers and getting a full package with head work and cams.

but if a little more lowend is what your after, go for it. from what ive heard, it is just alittle!

The Tundermax is probably one of the best EFi tunning platforms available right now, so thats a no brainer there.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Depends on what kind of performance you are looking for. As for the pricing, it's average since most dealers offer these, especially at this time of year.

Personally, I don't care for the SE kits because I don't believe the performance value ($$$ spent for performance gained) is very good in comparison to HQ, GMR, et al. And I don't care to have an extra pair of cylinders collecting dust when boring the cylinders alreadyon the bike would work as well or better than new ones in the kit. HQ and other aftermarket products will deliver significantly greater useable power and equal or better reliability since they are custom machined packages compared to the mass-produced, off the shelf products offered by HD.

However, the SE kits preserve the MOCO warranty when installed by an HD dealer and that is a significant consideration to many.

Only you know what performance you expect, and how important the MOCO warranty is.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM
edgerider
Intermediate

So, does anyone know what the horsepower gain is upgrading from the 96 to 103 kit? I have Vance & Hines touring slip ons, no other engine or exhaust mods... does the HQ or GMR setup really significantly provide more horses and torque than the SE 103?

Thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 PM
riskyfool
Cruiser

A large part has to do with quality consistancy. Harley D stock parts are machined with quality control measures in place. Screaming Eagle parts do not have those same quality controls. You very may get a good set of SE cylinders, but you also may not. It's a crap shoot.

Not only will boring work done by HQ andsome other speed shopsbe accurate, but they spend a lot more R&D on the science of perfecting flow through heads, etc.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM
clg9mm
Advanced

Yeah ok the regular stock parts get good QC and then they all go home and let somebody else turn out the SE stuff with different QC standards that suck.........Sure they do. Where do you guys come up with this stupid ****???

Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM
riskyfool
Cruiser

Have you ever personally spoken with any of the living legends in the industry such as Doug Coffee, Jerry Branch, or John O'Keefe?

No? Then don't be so quick to call another post stupid ****.

Just because something seems like it should be common sense doesn't make it true. These guys are pretty stumped by it too.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you really like SE, or you're worried about warranty issues... which I guess we all have to be, an Indy build will be better.

No offense to anyone. I almost did the 103" when I picked up the bike. The salesguy actually convinced me to wait (if you can believe that).

The deal you're being offered is good, if that's what you want. Probably put your bike in the upper 90s for tq/hp, maybe break 100 (not with the flash download though). For about that price you could find an Indy guy, get you into 103", 107" 110" 113", depending for about that price, and the numbers will be better... bottom line, the SE 103" kit is street legal... and we all know what that means.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

clg: I would prefer a custom machined/assembled component from Doug Coffey over the same component mass-produced by HD--it's really that simple.

Edgerider: Yeah, the HQ, GMR, et al. 103s produce about 20 more hp and torque; and the torque is very flat, not the ascending/desending lines with a brief peak that HD's 103 provide.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

The HQ and GMR is twice the Price of the SE, i recived a quote for the 103 Kit and it is no where near the SE Price

Quick Reply: 103 Big Bore Kit - Worth it?