Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help with cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 PM
HD Attitude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with cams

ORIGINAL: ericsenf

ORIGINAL: HD Attitude

WARNING TO ANYONE - (Not trying to knock Harley dealers) BUT IF YOUR EVER THINKING ON DOING A MOD TO YOUR ENGINE. "DON'T LET THE DEALER DO IT".
Real nice FUD line HD Attitude. Just because a shop is a HD dealer doesn't mean they are crap; just because a shop is an indie doesn't mean all their work is righteous. I have worked with both. Shop around, get references, etc. I chose my local HD shop because they had many options (including Andrews, S&S, Woods, etc.), experience, and a great record. The comment of "don't ever" or "always" is just asinine.

There are good SE cam choices just as there are good after-market cam choices. Talk around and fine a good match for your heads, compression, riding style, etc.
You're right. I apologizise

Old 11-25-2007, 06:24 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

The build is as such-
17071-03B Pro performer heads.
16546-99 3.875 cylender kit
22483-04 pistons 10:5:1
The motorcycle is a 07 Street Glide.
I might be off in left field but I do think someone has been in your pants.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 AM
HD Attitude
Banned

ORIGINAL: msocko3

The build is as such-
17071-03B Pro performer heads.
16546-99 3.875 cylender kit
22483-04 pistons 10:5:1
The motorcycle is a 07 Street Glide.
I might be off in left field but I do think someone has been in your pants.
IM MY PANTS ?????????

Old 11-25-2007, 06:35 AM
HD Attitude
Banned

ORIGINAL: PhilM

I agree with Duane. The HQ-575 sounds like a good selection for the build. I do not know what those heads are though.

Have you checked the CCP? You mentioned 10.2:1 pistons, but that does not mean you actually have 10.2:1 CR. Assuming it's an 07 or 08, you deck height is probably less than zero which costs in the cylinder pressue area as does oversized chambers.

Personally, I would not use an Andrews 37 on a Bagger based on my personal (bad) experience... but there are plenty of folks that seem to like them.

PLEASE, If you will, explain the"DECK HEIHTH" and "0". What is CCP ?

Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 AM
HD Attitude
Banned

I agree with Duane. The HQ-575 sounds like a good selection for the build. I do not know what those heads are though.

Have you checked the CCP? You mentioned 10.2:1 pistons, but that does not mean you actually have 10.2:1 CR. Assuming it's an 07 or 08, you deck height is probably less than zero which costs in the cylinder pressue area as does oversized chambers.

Personally, I would not use an Andrews 37 on a Bagger based on my personal (bad) experience... but there are plenty of folks that seem to like them.
The 37G cam doesn't kick in till 3000 and drops off around 4500. When I say kick in, i mean it has no noticable power until 3000. It also causes a lean problem in the tuning. They can't get it out. It's a week cam for a 103 build. Don't really know they they put it in. He did say however the 37G would be great with a 95 build. I wouldn't suggest 37G to anyone with anything over 95. To many problems.
Im thinking on going with the 575 but don't know what that cams going to do to my engine in the long run or in reliability department. We tour two up a lot. I think thats a high lift cam. If I read right, the cam gives a good torque range.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

HD Attitude: Your SE heads are designed for up to .650 lift and reving to 7,000 rpms--so a .575 lift cam won't be a problem for longevity/reliability.

CR is a static measurement: It simply calculates how much volume is in the cylinder with the piston and bottom dead center compared to how much volume is displaced with the piston at top dead center.

CCP is a dynamic measurement. For example, if you had a cylinder/head combo with 10.5:1 CR, but had no valves in the head to retain the air/fuel, your CCP would be zero or close to it since the air is not being compressed. CCP is the compression of the air in the cylinder/combustion chamber. Among other things it willbe effected by cam timing since the valves opening and closing effect how much pressure is built with thepiston rising. Cylinder heads influence CCP because the more air they can flow in and out, means more air available to be compressed. A stock HD head with stock cams, etc. will have CCP of about160 psi; an HQ build will have CCP of about 190-200 or so.

Good luck with your new cams, whichever you choose.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 37G cam doesn't kick in till 3000 and drops off around 4500. When I say kick in, i mean it has no noticable power until 3000. It also causes a lean problem in the tuning. They can't get it out. It's a week cam for a 103 build. Don't really know they they put it in. He did say however the 37G would be great with a 95 build. I wouldn't suggest 37G to anyone with anything over 95. To many problems.
Im thinking on going with the 575 but don't know what that cams going to do to my engine in the long run or in reliability department. We tour two up a lot. I think thats a high lift cam. If I read right, the cam gives a good torque range.
I replied to your PM earlier.....

Deck Height refers to the relationship of the top of your piston (@ Top Dead Center) to the machined surface of the top of the cylinder(s).
CCP is Cranking Cylinder Pressure. It is just as the name implies. The amount vaires with compression ratio and cam timing. It is an indicator of compression ratio and can be used with a given cam to "back into" the compression ratio. This assumes that the engine was properly assembled and broken in - rings gapped correcctly and fully seated, valves / valve seats hold pressure, etc....

The HQ-575 will not reduce reliability of your engine in any way. While the lift it greater than the 37's you have in there and is greater than "bolt-in" cams, it is on the smaller end as compared to many of the .600+ lift cams running across country every day. It does require different than stock valve springs, but you have that in the new heads.

I will say one more time... I have no personal experience with those heads. If the the heads / piston combo is actually @ or close to 10.5:1, then "I suspect" the 575's would be a reasonably good cam for that build.

Just curious, did these heads come with compression releases?

Also.... "IF" it is @ or close to 10.5:1 and running Andrews 37's - IT WILL PING.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 AM
HD Attitude
Banned

I replied to your PM earlier.....

Deck Height refers to the relationship of the top of your piston (@ Top Dead Center) to the machined surface of the top of the cylinder(s).
CCP is Cranking Cylinder Pressure. It is just as the name implies. The amount vaires with compression ratio and cam timing. It is an indicator of compression ratio and can be used with a given cam to "back into" the compression ratio. This assumes that the engine was properly assembled and broken in - rings gapped correcctly and fully seated, valves / valve seats hold pressure, etc....

The HQ-575 will not reduce reliability of your engine in any way. While the lift it greater than the 37's you have in there and is greater than "bolt-in" cams, it is on the smaller end as compared to many of the .600+ lift cams running across country every day. It does require different than stock valve springs, but you have that in the new heads.

I will say one more time... I have no personal experience with those heads. If the the heads / piston combo is actually @ or close to 10.5:1, then "I suspect" the 575's would be a reasonably good cam for that build.

Just curious, did these heads come with compression releases?

Also.... "IF" it is @ or close to 10.5:1 and running Andrews 37's - IT WILL PING.

It's 10:2:1 and it pings bad. Especially in first rolling it on. Closer you get to 3000, the louder it gets. You roll on in any gear quick and get a quick ping. You can tell the cams are wrong and it runs lean in places. They said they couldn't get the lean spot out. I would guess with the 575 they would be able to work with it much better. And yes it has compression releases. Im hoping for 109/100 at least with this build. "BUT LESSON LEARNED "