Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Can you recommend a good octane booster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:45 AM
thehuskybear
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you recommend a good octane booster?

This FXR Im about to purchase has a compression ratio of around 12.5:1.... and Im pretty sure Im gonna need to use a good octane booster since the highest rating Im seeing around here is 91.... Any recommendations?

Thanks

Sam

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Can you recommend a good octane booster?

From what I hear, most of them are snake oil. Stick with the highest grade gas you can in your area. You can't afford the racing or aviation fuel so you might have to get use to a little ping every now and then.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used this product made by David Liles oil company, it is the only additive I've ever used that did what it said. Google "david liles" and you'll find it.
I had a softaila few years back with 11:1s and it would not run on pump gas unless I used this stuff.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Colonel Sanders
Advanced

Toulene. You can get it at your local paint store by the gallon. Or, just buy some unleaded race gas.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

You might. Depends on the cam that's in there. If the valve closing point is fairly late, that will keep the cylinder pressures down at this altitude. I run 10.2 static compression with a 204 cam. I usually run the low octane stuff. My V8 car has a static compression of 10.8, with an intake closing point of 44*. I generally run mid grade.

If you do need a booster, do like he said, and buy some toluene. Do a web serach and you'll find the formula you need.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bingo! Toluene, or Xylene are virtually interchangeable. Purchase the one that's less expensive in your area (paint store or general chemical supplier) and use the web chart for mixing with 91-or-above octane to build your formula. There's nothing on the over-the-counter choices that will raise your octane more than hundredths of a percent.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 PM
extech
Road Master

After reading all the articals on the net about home brew octane boosters I've came to the conclusion....if you're not a chemist....just buy some race fuel.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the former owner using? Use that if it has good results. If not, I don't recommend "up-ping the octane"as it could result in detonation. A common misconception is that the higher the octane, the better the gas; lower octane gas burns slower while higher octane "explodes". Combustion is a balance between the two. I ran 91+ inboth my bikes for years but have discovered (via the increase at price at the pump) that 87-89 octane worksBETTER(i.e.: less heat, knocking, and greater power)! Plus it's a few cents cheaper, too.[8D]

Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: extech

After reading all the articals on the net about home brew octane boosters I've came to the conclusion....if you're not a chemist....just buy some race fuel.
Mixing a 10% or greater solution of toluene or xylene into your tank doesn't require any special skills, and it's way, way less expensive than buying race fuel.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 PM
thehuskybear
Intermediate

Thanks for the replys guys.... When I finally have the bike in my possesion, Im gonna have to compare the toluene + 91 to the 91 oct by itself.... The PO ran 93oct, but I dont really see anything higher than 91 in my area...... do you think it makes much of difference?

Thanks

Sam

Quick Reply: Can you recommend a good octane booster?