Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

ThunderMax Autotune? Worth the Expense?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 PM
edgerider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ThunderMax Autotune? Worth the Expense?

I've heard only gushing positives about the ThunderMax Autotune - thinking about it for my 2007 RK Classic - runs hot and has had bad pinging going through a variety of elevations, temps and road conditions. Anyone that can give me first hand feedback. please.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM
HogGlider
Tourer
Default RE: ThunderMax Autotune? Worth the Expense?

Though I don't actually have one purchased (yet), I have been in the same positon as you are and spent a great deal of time reading, researching on the forum, talking to different shops etc.

I got a lot of mixed information from a couple dyno shops, one said Dynojet Power Commander, the other swore by the TMAX. The more it came down to everything, the TMAX is really the best option. With every other tuner out there you have to put it on, hook up the computer or go to a dyno and fine tune everything.

With the TMAX you literally just plug the system into the bike, and ride, the auto tune will self adjust everything for you while you ride. Granted, if you want the most possible from the system, you will hook it up and fine tune the maps to get more power/economy, or w/e else you can manage from the bike. The beauty of the system allows you to just go buy the TMAx, put it on, and skip that $200 dyno fee up front until you actually start putting some performanc eparts on the bike and want every bit of power from them.

I am planning to purchase my Tmax here shortly along with some other upgrades for the motor, but you honestly cannot let the price deter you from arguably one of the best fuel managements on the market. I don't remember the guy's name (and I really should if I want to get a good deal), but somebody here on the forums offers them at a significantly better price then anyplace else I have seen, so hopefully somebody can fill in the blank for me.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 AM
E ticket
Advanced

I think you are refering to shooter64

Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thundermax or DTT auto-tune = $700 no dyno tuning needed

PCIII or SERT = $300 + $500 for a good dyno tune = $800

When conditions change from when your dyno tune was done..........that tune is useless so you have to get tuned again for another $500.

Thundermax or DTT systems are tuning itself all the time to adjust to the changing conditions...............for free.

I have the DTT system and I'll never go back to the old school crap.

Steve

Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

I have the TMax and have had it now for right at a year....[sm=goodidea.gif] It is simple and great, motorcycle hasn't ever been this smooth or had so much power...With a little tweaking of the map I am getting 42 to 43 MPG also.

Well worth the money!!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:18 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i think you can fine a dyno cheaper than 500.00 bucks .i put a p.c. 3 on mine had it dynoed i got 84 h.p.and 48 m.p.g.buying the p.c. 3 and dynoed 500.00

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 AM
HogGlider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: sporty2003

i think you can fine a dyno cheaper than 500.00 bucks .i put a p.c. 3 on mine had it dynoed i got 84 h.p.and 48 m.p.g.buying the p.c. 3 and dynoed 500.00
My local Dyno shop charges $200 to bring the bike in, remap and tune everything. Like what was mentioned above, if you decided to change pipes, A/C, cam, or some other things you would have to get it back to the dyno, anr have it remapped. Tmax doesn't require you to do that everytime you change part of the setup.

Install SERT, new pipes, a/c - figure $800 for just the parts depending on what pipes you are going with may be higher/lower + $200 dyno run

Change pipes - $200 dyno run
Change A/C - $200 Dyno run
Change Cam $200 Dyno run

In the long run you will probably spend more on dyno runs if you dont have the exact setup you want than if you went out and bought the Tmax to start with. Install your cams, pipes, a/c, dont like the pipes, get louder/quieter ones, ride a bit, then go dyno it if you want to squeeze the most ponies from the machine,

Old 11-14-2007, 01:55 PM
rkcrwlr
Tourer

I have the Tmax and it was worth every penny. Easy to install, easy to load, and now the autotune takes care of things. I am piecing together my build up which would have required a lot of dyno runs otherwise. I can't say its any better thanother autotuners, since i have not personally used others. I can say that the TMax has worked out great for me and its fun to plug inthe laptop and check on things. The only down is that my local stealer was running a 110 SE kit install deal. Went to talk to them and they would not install it because I was not going to use the SERT. Too bad for them. Now I'll just go aftermarket and intall something myself, making sure I canrun with the SE110 and for less money.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I strongly believe the justification for the Thundermax should be based on your long term plans for your bike. On one hand, if you are going to do mild mods (mid range cam, breather, pipes) to the motor then the best bang for the buck is probably the PCIII. But, if you are like a lot of us that can't leave well enough alone (always looking for that extra 2 HP or the just have to have that new exhaust) then the Thundermax could save you a bunch of money. There is a good chance that with the Thundermax Autotune you may need a dyno for tuning. If you do you big motor mods first then you'd probably need just one dyno tuning. After that, as long as you don't make changes that would require retuning of the ignition tables, the autotune would be a wise choice.

The decision is pay now.... or pay later.