Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Swapping cam, should you also...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:35 PM
HogGlider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping cam, should you also...

When you swap out cams from the stock ones, I know you should do the pushrods to an adjustable one, but I was also curious about replacing the tappets? How many of you have done that, or is this something that should just be done anyways?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Swapping cam, should you also...

The Twin Cam lifters are automotive type units, identical to Chevy SB1 lifters (which can be had for $12 apiece), so they are very strong- no need to replace them. You don't have to replace the pushrods either, but most do to save the hassle of removing everything above the stock one piece pushrods in order to get them out.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:58 AM
fiddledicksr
Cruiser

Do the lifters too, dont know how many miles you have on the bike, but I read an article that said MoCo recomends changing them at 25000 miles. Dont know if that is true but I did with my cam change. I used Fueling but have heard from a couple of builders/tuners they are a little noisy and they preferred SE lifters.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

When I installed Head-Quarters HQ-0034 cams (.500 lift), Doug at HQ told me I could use the stock pushrods and, if I was replacing the tappets, to use the HD stock "B" lifters (~$25 ea.)--that's what I did. Service Mgr. at my HD dealer told me the same thing and recommended not using the SE lifters or adjustable push rod kit they sell for $139 (that includes the tubes) because they have had the push rods hitting the covers.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:35 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Most people will tell you the stock HD "B" lifter is as good or better than most and alot cheaper. I put a new round of them in when I did mine but I had 38k on them.Stay away from the SE lifter. Have heard several reports of them detonating. If bike has over 15k I would replace them. Not expensive and make a mess if one did let go.Most people do not have any trouble with the SE adjustables but have heard a few that did. I haven't in 15k miles. If time and ease of cam install is not a factor then stock or Perfict Fit if needed is fine.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:18 PM
HogGlider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fiddledicksr

Do the lifters too, dont know how many miles you have on the bike, but I read an article that said MoCo recomends changing them at 25000 miles. Dont know if that is true but I did with my cam change. I used Fueling but have heard from a couple of builders/tuners they are a little noisy and they preferred SE lifters.
I was kind of thinking it would make sense to replace them, but I know in some auto applications the stockers were just as good as the aftermarket sometimes. I currently have about 13K on the bike right now, so changing the tappets is probably a good thing to do at the same time for me anyways.

I looked at the Fueling tappets, seemed like a fair price for a set ($113), haven't read/heard too many people using them though.

ORIGINAL: JLOCKHART29

Most people will tell you the stock HD "B" lifter is as good or better than most and alot cheaper. I put a new round of them in when I did mine but I had 38k on them.Stay away from the SE lifter. Have heard several reports of them detonating. If bike has over 15k I would replace them. Not expensive and make a mess if one did let go.Most people do not have any trouble with the SE adjustables but have heard a few that did. I haven't in 15k miles. If time and ease of cam install is not a factor then stock or Perfict Fit if needed is fine.
Ok, maybe I was getting confused, but doesn't the Dyna have a Twin Cam "A" motor? if I was correct in that, then are the "B" motor tappets capable of fitting into my engine? If so I may just have to take the stock HD "B" lifters into consideration.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:11 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The Twin Cam "A" and "B" lifters are identical. And, as I said, you can get the identical lifter from Crane, under a Chevy part number, for less money.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:18 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember mySBC having roller lifters................

Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 PM
HogGlider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mp

The Twin Cam "A" and "B" lifters are identical. And, as I said, you can get the identical lifter from Crane, under a Chevy part number, for less money.
Thanks for the clarification...I love this board, you guys have been teaching a LOT of great information!

I will look into those crane lifters also, do you have the Part # as well? Otherwise I will try and sift through some of the information myself.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

HD #18538-99B for HD "B" lifter. The "B" is for the 2nd update on the lifter in 1999 I believe. Nothing to do with balanced "B" motor or "A" rubber mount.