Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam Plates and Roller Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 11:27 AM
bdaug50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Plates and Roller Rockers

To the more enlightened,

Sometime in January when I finally get all the funds together and get my motor torn apart and send it to Doug at HQ, I will run into the following questions:
Getting 95", 10.25:1, with gear drive cams.

Do I need to, Should I get roller rocker arms?
What about Cam Plates? Is the stock one good enough or would it be better in the long run to get a better one from someone?
Oil Pump? Should I upgrade to the newer higher flow HD pump?

I know lots of questions but I'm sure some of you all out there are just bursting with knowledge about this stuff and I'll freely admit I rode the short bus today.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:23 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cam Plates and Roller Rockers

The best theing you can do is follow Doug's recommendations to "the T".

I susepect he will tell you that roller rockers are not necessary. I have used them in some motors, I do not in my HQ builds. If you have extra money you just wanna spend, then go for it.

Cam plate / oil pump.... Stock is fine, but I prefer adding the heavy bypass spring (LM-002, I think it is). I am going to give the new S/E plate with new style pump a try on my new build, but have not seen or used one yet. Will it be better? Probably not, but I'm gonna try it nonetheless....

Old 11-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

bdaug: Nobody knows more about HQ 95" builds than Doug at HQ: make a list of questions and ask him, then do what he says regardless of what you may read on this or any other forum. You can also use the HQTechline for your questions and get your answers from him or Kevin:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/HQTechline/

Old 11-11-2007, 03:56 PM
bdaug50
Cruiser

Thanks guys, the feedback is appreciated!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:43 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed a new SE cam plate/oil pump and it is a nice piece of work. I was running the stock with baisley spring and I my oil pressure was nearly pegged at cold start up. With the new set up it goes up to about 42 psi or so. I am running gear drives and I was a little worried that my gear lash might change but it is perfect with the new plate. It is good deal at $343 thru Chicago Harley. My local dealer matched that so I did not have to pay shipping. that is close to what you would pay for a stock 06 and earlier oil pump alone. It is made by Jims and is a real work of art.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going to give the new S/E plate with new style pump a try on my new build, but have not seen or used one yet. Will it be better? Probably not, but I'm gonna try it nonetheless....
Can you go gear drive with this cam plate or are you planning on using the late model chain drive?

Old 11-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably the best value is the new factory plate/ high volume pump combination. The best quality- most stable is the R&R cam plate, no high volume pump needed with this piece. I would also use the new R&R 4340 forged rocker arms, rollers will save wear and tear on the valve train, research well before buying, thereare quality issues with most of these.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Neckball
Can you go gear drive with this cam plate or are you planning on using the late model chain drive?
It's not a conversion to late model roller chain. You can use either gear drive or the old style chain. What is "new style" is the oil pump.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am lucky having an 07, I already have the new style oil pump and tensioner, not having to go to gear drive cams

I have runs cams with up to .650 lift and never run roller rockers....I guess if your gonna spin it to 7000rpm plus they might be needed, but if your not racing all the time, stock rockers will be fine.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 PM
bdaug50
Cruiser

Thanks again for all the input, I don't plan on spinning it any more than it needs to, its going to have to last me a long time and I know that regardless of who the parts are from or what they are made of, if you beat it, it will eventually break. One of the biggest reasons I'll be getting HQ stuff is my conversation with Doug in which he told me that he doesn't make race motors, just solid reliable ones. That's what I'm looking for, reliability and longevity. Thanks again.

bdaug50
05 FLHTP

Quick Reply: Cam Plates and Roller Rockers