Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Drilling baffles and power loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 02:18 AM
darkside
Banned
Default RE: Drilling baffles and power loss

I took my pipes off and drilled the plugs out of them .It's actually really easy to do yourself. You need a decent drill and a good hole saw bit with an extension. You don't have to drill the whole baffle out just drill the plugs out of the inside of the baffles themselves.If you feel so inclined you can also eliminate the cat /converter while your at it . That part is alot tougher though since that cat is pretty tough stuff and just wants to ball up ,but w/patience I got mine out. Runs nice and definetly sounds better. It,s not a really deep bass sound that other pipes might provide ,but For a few dollars and a little elbow grease it sounds like a harley now not a pissed off sowing machine. Hope this clears things up a little.

Old 01-18-2006 | 01:35 PM
kanshusker
Advanced
Default RE: Drilling baffles and power loss

I also have an 883 sporty. I basically had no money and wanted the sound. I spoke with a guy who removed his baffles from his 1200 and it sounded pretty good. He said he experienced no low end power loss. I used a 1 3/4" hole saw and cut the welds in the back of the muffler that hold the baffles in. I have noticed no great loss of low end power. It does run better now does not cough and sputter when taking off from a stop sign or light. Besides it sounds more like a Harley now and not a Honda. I am planning on switching to Cycle Shack slip ons in the near future so removing the baffles is just a tempory thing. It all depends on what you want, the Cycle Shacks are pretty inexpensive, but I have had other expenses lately and have had to put them on hold. Anyway, I'll stop rambling, hope this helps some.