Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

HOT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:07 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOT?

OK, I am gonna sound like a dumbass, but here it goes....

Do BTs run hotter than Sportsters? I have a 03 1200C, and a 06 FXDWG. The Wide Glide seems to heat up faster than the 1200? (they both have a fair amount of chrome, and when you turn them off you hear that crackle pop noise louder and longer on hte DYna) You also hear it sooner, ie start them both, idle for about 5 minutes, shut them down, and the Dyna is cracking and popping alot more then the Sporty......

The 1200 has a Dyna jet kit K&N filter, and V&H pipes. The Dyna has facotry D/L, SE filter, and SEII slip ons. My buddy has a new street bob, and his is still stock, His heats up as fast as mine does. He also has a 1200, and has noticed the same thing. I have checked my plugs since I had the stage 1 and they seem fine.

Is it nothing? I just want to be sure. I have NO complaints with the WG at all. RUns great, sounds great (now) and rides great.

Thanks

Signed
Dumbass

Old 12-20-2005, 07:55 PM
usblues101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOT?

Well I never heard of a dumb question relating to HD's as everyone started from square 1 at one time.Even Jesse or Donnie or Dave.Anyway,your if plugs are close to tan,your looking good....the Scanalyzer goes up to 274 degrees with the bikes on the lift,no fan last time I used one.The tinging you hear is normal for a hot air- cooled HD.Its not a REAL good idea to be idling them for 5 min unless your working on them.,but its not the worst thing,.Actually,if everyone would warm them till the rockers are warm to the touch before riding,the bike would be happier and so would their wallets.YMMV,Bob

Old 12-20-2005, 10:02 PM
grizzly
Road Master

Your right on the money...I should not let them idle that long. I usually let them idle a minute to warm up when its cool ouside though. Only reason I had them both idleing was curiousity I was comparing the sound of WideGlide with slipons to the 1200 with V&H straight shots. (Sportster is louder, but the DYna is deeper)

Anyhow, there is about the same amount of chrome ie pipe shields, chrome engine covers and the like. The DYna just did a lot more "tinging". The plugs look like they are burning real good though so I am not worried. There is a lot of fuss over the recall on these 06 Dynas, but let me tell ya, I could not be happier with the bike. I have to force myself to ride the 1200 from time to time to keep her from getting to jealous!

Thanks

Old 12-20-2005, 11:33 PM
usblues101
Cruiser

Hey,curiousity is a good thing,I know what you mean about riding the Dyna the most,my favorite.Can you tell me alittle about the recall?Number,and what its about?Thanks for your time,Bob

Old 12-21-2005, 12:37 AM
grizzly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: usblues101

Hey,curiousity is a good thing,I know what you mean about riding the Dyna the most,my favorite.Can you tell me alittle about the recall?Number,and what its about?Thanks for your time,Bob
Safety recall 0124-2006 Dyna Transmission

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...hog3/M1183.pdf

The above link explains the recall. Basically the neutral light comes on, but the bike is not in neutral. Not sure if this corrects the inner bearing problem or not.

What is your other bike? I wouldhavea third if I could afford it, but my Wideglide is the king of the garage!

Old 12-21-2005, 05:25 PM
usblues101
Cruiser

Hey,just waking up,thanks for that recall.What inner bearing problem?Your right,that recall wouldnt address that IMHO.Thanks again,Bob

Old 12-21-2005, 06:33 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: grizzly

OK, I am gonna sound like a dumbass, but here it goes....

Do BTs run hotter than Sportsters? I have a 03 1200C, and a 06 FXDWG. The Wide Glide seems to heat up faster than the 1200? (they both have a fair amount of chrome, and when you turn them off you hear that crackle pop noise louder and longer on hte DYna) You also hear it sooner, ie start them both, idle for about 5 minutes, shut them down, and the Dyna is cracking and popping alot more then the Sporty......

The 1200 has a Dyna jet kit K&N filter, and V&H pipes. The Dyna has facotry D/L, SE filter, and SEII slip ons. My buddy has a new street bob, and his is still stock, His heats up as fast as mine does. He also has a 1200, and has noticed the same thing. I have checked my plugs since I had the stage 1 and they seem fine.

Is it nothing? I just want to be sure. I have NO complaints with the WG at all. RUns great, sounds great (now) and rides great.

Thanks

Signed
Dumbass
Real simple answer, when properly tuned they all run about the same temp. No significant difference. Twin cams though normally come tuned much leaner from the factory than a typical XL bike.