Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

bore existing jugs or buy new?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:17 PM
MattyD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bore existing jugs or buy new?

I'm planning to buy SE Cast flat-tops for my 95" build. When deciding on the cylinders I got some advice from a buddy of mine. He suggested that instead of boring my existing jugs, I should buy brand new SE 95 jugs. He believesthat the new jugs will give me a dimensionally matched set, whereas the bored jugs run the risk of dimensional errors (which is something I can't actually measure). I understand his logic, butsince the new jugs aremass-produced, theymust have a pretty big tolerance range too.

$140 to borevs.$240 for new: Whichdo you recommend?

Old 11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: bore existing jugs or buy new?

I've always just bored my cylinders, instead of just replacing. If yours are still in good shape, such as no broke cooling fins and can be bored to where you want it.....just have yours bored.

I know someone that bought SE cylinders for his Twin Cam earlier in the decade......and both cylinders had different measures. He bought a Screaming Eagle package that came with cylinders and pistons. He ended up taking the cylinders back to the dealer.....

So, new ones may not be correct either......

Old 11-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have the existing cylinders bored and save your money - for a set of SE forged pistons instead of the cast flat tops.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:48 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine bored to match my Wiseco 95" pistons and that was over 20,000 miles ago. The shop will take pistons that are going to be used and bore them to match. I think your buddy's theory is back words.....

Old 11-02-2007, 03:56 PM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

One and the same. If you do not mind down time get 'em bored and save. If in a hurry go new and have them ready. As long as who ever bores them uses a torque plate to do it no differance.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bore your stock, supposedly they are more stable being heat cycled several times, also, for the SE Castpistons the cylinders are merely bored to spec, what I mean is they are bored to a predetermined dimension meaning SE must be pretty confident in their piston diameter staying consistent during production runs.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:56 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had a set of jugs bored to match SE flat tops and it was $150 by a top notch outfit (Baisley's High Performance) and there was a slight difference in bore sizes between the 2 pistons. If you get standard SE jugs you could have a slightly loose fit or a slightly tight fit depending on the tolerence of pistons and jugs. Probably won't make a hill of beans difference but I am happy that mine are excactly percise.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

have yours bored, the thought that they will be dimensionally different is not tru if the person doing the boring know what he is doing.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:00 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bored. Cheaper, better. No contest.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:17 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of NO reputable engine builder, whether is be cars, boats, ATV, or motorcycle that would suggest anything other than boring your cylinders to match your pistons. If you take the take the cylinders to a machine shop and the shop doesn't ask for the pistons, then leave....

Quick Reply: bore existing jugs or buy new?