Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help with build

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:57 PM
HD Attitude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with build

ORIGINAL: DaddyKnuck

HD Attitude: I had to check the Andrews catalog to be sure (the last time I put an Andrews cam in anything Reagan was president. Anyway your dyno numbers seem more appropriate for a 95 than a 103. Also, your message says you have an '07. The 37G is ONLY for models up to '06 (except Dyna to '05). Are you sure you don't have the 37HG? Good luck, with the set-up you have 100/100 should be very doable.
OH BOY ! It better be a 37G. thats what the dealer told me it was. And the bike is an 07. I think the cam is to small for the build. 37G is good for 88 or 96 builds. thats what im thinking. I think he went to small.

OK, I went and looked. You're right . Its the 37 HG 2007 TC cams. Im not sure what that means ? I assumed the dealer knew what they were talking about ????????

Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 AM
HD Attitude
Banned

TTT

Old 11-05-2007, 08:29 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1st off, do not get carried away worring about "numbers". Numbers can be "massaged" on the dyno and numbers are not necessarily an accurate representation of how the bike will "ride". Having said that, I would expect more from the build. I had 95" w/37's (@9.7:1) that made 100/100, but couldn't keep the ping out w/ anything less than 93 octane fuel and it had to be "good quality 93", at that. For that reason, that build did not last long.

Regarding pipes.... RH duals, "typically" cost you some on bottom end torque, but have great topend HP #'s, because the breath very well. Your dyno sheet does not show this characteristic. The AFR is not perfect, but it's certainly not horrible. I would have thought the HP would have been higher.

The heads are: "Screamin' Eagle® Pro 103+ Cylinder Heads". I am not sure exactly what those are, other than they likely have somewhat larger chambers to help keep compression from going thru the roof on larger displacement motors. I know nothing abuot these heads. Do they have the typical huge ports that the S/E heads have? They are often too big and that hurts port velocity & cylinder fill.

The old style cams won't fit, so nothing to worry about there.

You did not mention what bike this is in. I hope it's not a Bagger. Andrews 37's, @ 10:1, in a Bagger are gonna be a royal pain to get not to ping. (RH dual do imply Bagger though)

I agree with Randy's indirect reference to the likelihood that it's not setup right ~ quench, specifically. And in addition to that, I wonder about the selection of components used. Is this a package your deal sells on a regular basis or something they cooked up and wanted to try?

I know it's a little late in the game now, but it is always best to use packages that are made up of components that are known to work well together and repeatedly produce predictable & desirableresults.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 AM
HD Attitude
Banned

First off, Thank you for you’re response. I told the dealer I wanted 100/100. That was it. They decided on the parts. For the life of me, I don’t know why they went to the 10:0 1 ratio . They suggested the build to me and said they had a lot of luck with it. After the build, they started back peddling saying I told them to do it. All I said was, I want 100/100.
The build was on a 07 Bagger. They were told VERY CLEAR what I wanted. Low end TQ for two up riding .
To be honest, I think the build is a disaster. $4,500 for nothing. Now I got to pick up the pieces
Lesson learned . That’s what im doing here now. You guys know more than I will ever know about builds. You know what iv got in this build. How do I save it ?

Old 11-05-2007, 10:31 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be worth sending a PM to ShovelheadBob ~ one of the tech mods here. He is well versed in the S/E and should be able to help you figure out with the heads are and what cams should work well with them. I'm sure there is S/E setup that is designed to work with those heads. Unfortunately, w/o knowing anything about that particular head, it's virtually impossible to make a sound recommendation.

Based on what you've said, I might also be suspect of the actual compression ratio. I bet it is less than advertised. Did the heads come with compression releases? I sure hope so ~ @ 10:1, in FL heat, you will have starting problems w/o comp releases.

Send Bob a copy of your invioce (specifically p/n's) and explain your situation.See if he can make any recommendations as to what it might take to "make it right".

Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 AM
HD Attitude
Banned

Thank you very much. You've been a great help.