Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Simple question about replacing air filter on EVO

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Simple question about replacing air filter on EVO

I noticed the air cleaner in my recently purchased bike is dirty, so I went ahead and bought a replacement HD filter today. I'll replace it tonight. I asked the sales guy at the stealer if I needed to oil the filter first. He said the stock HD filters can't be cleaned and therefore, don't need to be oiled when replaced. Is this correct? Should I just be able to simply replace the dirty air cleaner on the bike now with the one I just bought without having to oil it or anything else?

Also, how tight is the air cleaner cover supposed to be on the bike or does that matter at all?

I know these questions may be dumb to most, but hey, I never said I was smart.

Chris

Old 10-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Default RE: Simple question about replacing air filter on EVO

I don't know what the OEM filter is on your bike, but paper element filters don't need to be oiled, and any OEM filter you get from the dealer is going to be ready to install. I haven't run a stock carb in so long, I don't remember what it came with. The mounting screw(s) should be "snug". Don't over tighten, but don't leave them loose either. I know that's not a very objective answer, but you get a feel for it after you've turned enough bolts. A bit of blue loctite never hurts at all.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:20 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Simple question about replacing air filter on EVO

Thanks for your help!!! That's exactly what I need to know. I was surprised to find out that the filter currently in my bike is one that can be cleaned, but I went ahead and put the new one in there anyway. The next time I need to change it, I'll clean the "old" filter and get some oil to put on it.

Chris