Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

1st 1000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
johnsquicks10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st 1000 mile service

hello all, just had a question about what the dealer does on the initial 1000 mile service besides changing oil?
i would rather do all my own maintenance so i can better keep up with any issues. does the dealer change the transmission oil? i'm new to bikes but pretty good with a wrench. i've already learned alot on this site.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Wide06
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: 1st 1000 mile service

I only got my 1K service done at the dealer because I got a 1K service gift card with the bike. I don't think they did anything other than change the engine, tranny, and primary oil, though.

My clutch adjustment was a little loose andthe throttle had a lot of free-play. These being about all you can actually tell whether or not they were serviced, it leaves me to believe that the oils arre all that were done, since neither of the other noticeable things were done. I know the oil was changed because they left the mess of oil under the oil filter that happened when they took the old one off. And all 3 drain plugs were suddenly wet with oil and left a drop or 2 in my garage under each one every night.

I say, unless you have a dealer special, do your own service, if you can do it completely. Otherwise, do what you can and have a qualified shop do the rest. But if you have a really good service department at your local dealership, this is a non-issue as far as whether the appropriate things get done.

And before I get razed for not taking it back or for pointing out the obvious upon pick-up, when a 1K service takes 2 days and they still don't do it all, some things are better left unsaid and done yourself. I have not been back to that dealer for service since.I now go to the other local ones for warranty work or recall work.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:00 PM
johnsquicks10
Cruiser

thanks for the reply, i'm going to pick up a service manual soon. i'm a little leary of dealership service dept's. never no what you're going to get or what will be loose when you pick it up. i found the maintanence list online, think i can handle what's involved in the scheduled services.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the service manual for your bike; it will walk you right through the service procedure. It does involve more than just changing the oil but it is not difficult. Save the receipts for oil filter and the required lube so that you can document the service. (I even took a few pictures of the work in progress.) Make a folder or service log and keep all the stuff in it. That way you have a record of services performed just in case the dealership tries to give you a hard time on a warranty item.

Arcane

Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Wide06
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arcane

Buy the service manual for your bike; it will walk you right through the service procedure. It does involve more than just changing the oil but it is not difficult. Save the receipts for oil filter and the required lube so that you can document the service. (I even took a few pictures of the work in progress.) Make a folder or service log and keep all the stuff in it. That way you have a record of services performed just in case the dealership tries to give you a hard time on a warranty item.

Arcane
Yes, exactly what I should have added in my first post. Make a file for all your service and receipts, even if it's for a 50 centdrain plug o-ring.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:43 AM
chopperhead2
Cruiser

I can tell you whatI do on a 1k service.I replace all drive train fluids, lube and adjust the clutch cable and throttle cables, check and adjust the primary chain,on the tight spot, adjust drive belt, on the tight spot, tighten critical fasteners, check and adjust the steering headbearing and lube if noted to in service manual, set tire psi, check electrical, lube brake pad pins, inspect and clean air filter, cheal and set gap of spark plugs,and clean all of the oil residue off.I also wipe off the plugs after they are in as well. I hate seeing oil on the bikes after I work on them. It shows a lack of pride in your work. I`ve been doing my services this way since I started wrenching on bikes. I follow the service manual and then check a few other things that aren`t listed. I can`t say how the other techs do it but I`ve never had a complaint other than the clutch cable not adjusted t the customers liking. I set them all the same and rarley get asked to readjust them.

if you have the tools and ability to do the service and check the things that Harley wants checked then you should be able to handle it yourself. if you follow the service manual you can`t go wrong.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 PM
johnsquicks10
Cruiser

thanks for the info, now i have to get out and put the miles on the bike.