Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Rough running

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:42 PM
texcwby
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough running

Good afternoon,
I am trying to get some advice on a problem I am having with my 2003 Deuce, it is fuel injected and idles fine, runs fine except when I am cruising and back off the throttle just a bit. It seems like it is bogging down but if I let off the throttle all the way it stops or if I give it gas it quits, the bike seems to sputter and backfire. I have changed the plugs (which were not fouled) the air cleaner, and the plug wires. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The bike has a stage 1 kit installed as well. It appears to me that the problem is a fuel/air mixture issue. I rode the bike this morning and it was about 45 degrees and the bike ran fine, yesterday afternoon when it was around 85 it ran rough. Any ideas?
Thanks again,
Butch

Old 10-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Rough running

Check your injectors, if they have a brown plastic band around them change them out for the replacement injector with a white band. The brown band injectors had a low speeddrive ability problem that was cured in the white band injectors. Both injectors are a 4.35 rating so remapping or a new flash is unnecessary.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the engine temp sensor.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:19 PM
texcwby
4th Gear

Thanks for the advice I will check injectors and the engine temp sensor.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 PM
fltr00
2nd Gear

Check for a hole rubbed through the fuel line inside your tank. If it is leaking the fuel pressure will be low causing a lean condition and drivability issues.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 PM
texcwby
4th Gear

Thanks, I read that suggestion on another posting and was wondering if it might be the issue. I will take a look at that tomorrow. The bike sat for awhile prior to me purchasing it but I hadn't had any issue with it until recently. Thanks again
Butch

Old 10-19-2007, 08:49 PM
2deuce
Road Master

The hole in the fuel line happened to me on my '03 Deuce at 15000 plus miles. Just happened on my '07 Deuce at 16800 miles. I thought they had corrected the problem with the shorter fuel line but I now find out, as long as the fuel line floats in the tank, it's gonna get a hole rubbed in it.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:27 AM
texcwby
4th Gear

I appreciate the advice, I am not quite sure I understand how a hole in the fuel line in the tank will cause the bike to run rough when it is warm and not when it is cold. I am going to check it anyway, is there a diagnostic test that can be run on the bike to check the engine temp sensor or the air intake sensor?
Thanks again

Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 PM
vheflin
Road Captain

I don't know of a way to check the engine temperature sensor. The way I understand it, no codes are generated if and when this sensor fails. I found the info about it on this site under the tech forums. I may have been looking in the section under fuel injection. It costs about $85 to swap it out.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 PM
texcwby
4th Gear

Thanks for the update, I was wondering if they could pull a code for the engine temp sensor. I will probably just change it out and see what happens.
Thanks again

Quick Reply: Rough running