Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

CV carb kit vs Mikuni?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:55 PM
virtualmike13
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV carb kit vs Mikuni?

I have a 2002 FDX with K&N air filter and cycle shack mufflers. I was thinking of changing stock carb settings for extra punch. Have any of you guys compared the Stage 1 Twin cam carb kits (main and slo jets) with the Mikuni easy carbs? Is the extra cost for the Mikuni really worth it?

I could do the Stage 1 Twin cam carb kits now and get a Mikuni later when there is more cash in the hog cash pool!

thanks,

[IMG]local://upfiles/38701/AA3E911DBAC04BCBAE39C5D97353E466.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-12-2007, 09:26 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Default RE: CV carb kit vs Mikuni?

I have the Mikuni 42, with a stock motor the gains are small.
I put it on with SE slipons and K&N and put her on the dyno, I got 63 hp and 72 lbs of torque with a stock engine, that was about the same as a stocker! I thought what a waste of 300$

So, I threw another 2500$ at it and put on a big bore and heads and cams.

If your planing on more mods, get the carb, if not keep the CV.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:41 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 42 Mikuni on my Road King as of right now. I've had the stock CV with a yost jet kit it was ok, then I try'd a S&S super E it was great at wide open throttle only. Then I went back to the CV with HQ jets and it was so much better then the S&S at every throttle postion. Then I got bored again and found a great deal on a 42 HSR Mikuni and through it on.By the seat of the pants I thinkit feels like it's the best of the three.........I bought mine through Eastern performance for $269.99 shipped to my house.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 PM
virtualmike13
Intermediate

Thanks for all the feedback. For now I'll adjust the stock CV idle and change the slo and main jets. I'll post my results when it's done.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's only one problem with buying a Mikuni ... Once you have one, you'll never be able to ride another HD without one. There's just no comparison IMO.

Mike

Old 10-14-2007, 04:39 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a pretty good chance your stock jets are fine if you just have mufflers and an air cleaner, buta slightly richer needle can make a big difference. The '88 Sporty needle, 27094-88, works good and, contrary to what some folks will tell you, does not kill your mileage. They were $8 when I bought one a few years ago. That and an idle mixture screw adjustment may be all you need.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock carb is pretty efficient and easy to tune.
My settings are in my sig at the bottom ( stock main jet also)
You could probably go with a #46 pilot jet.
For around $20.00 you can have a fine running bike.
Should run great if you do it right.
Mick

Old 10-15-2007, 10:06 PM
virtualmike13
Intermediate
Default RE: CV carb kit vs Mikuni? - Update

I was able to drill out the metal plug blocking the idle jet and adjusted the idle setting. I didn't have to remove the gas lines or throttle cables, all I had to do was remove the air filter and slip the carb out from the rubber manifold connector and turn it bottom out a bit for access to the carb bottom.

Turning the idle screw closed took two turns to go from stock setting to closed. I backed it out about 2 1/4 turns out and went for a ride. Better accel from stop to go with less popping on decel. There was a lot less coughing at slow speeds!

When I got home I blipped the throttle and found that a small 1/8th turn out seemed better. What a feeling being able to make a simple adjustment for no cost and better performance.

I ordered a slo and main jet and will give updates when I install them. The washers under the jet trick seems like another simple way to get more torque.

Gotta thank all you guys at HD Forum for providing the info that let guys like me squeeze more punch from my Dyna. Being able to improve your ride is a real blast!

[IMG]local://upfiles/38701/74EE6B8700124A88BD892F1474B4B156.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Rev00
Tourer
Default RE: CV carb kit vs Mikuni? - Update

Be careful with some of the CV Mods. There are a lot on the net and some of them will cause more problems then they're worth. Example: 40ish mpg down to 28 or 30 mpg. The guy I got my bike from had the drilled slide and also used a sporty spring and power tube and it ran like crap and got about 28 mpg. I just converted it over to the Mikuni instead of trying to fix all his screw ups. Was my preference though.

My biggest gripe about the Keihin CV is the factory idle mixture screw was way to sensative. A quarter turn may make it drive better but it will SUCK Fuel like crazy. The idle circuit plays a major factor in fuel mileage at cruising speeds. If your concerned about it.

The CV is a little more altitude forgiving but I like the instant torque response of a mechanical flat slide carb. If your looking at peak HP Numbers on a dyno then your not going to see much difference. Total HP numbers probably won't be affected much by either one but to me the driving experience, especially low end makes a big difference. Both Carbs will flow enough for even the hopped up big bore engines and especially for street use.

I always liked the Mikuni carbs and have converted the majority of my bikes over. I transferred a set of 4 x 29mm Smooth bores over to several bikes over the years. Awesome carbs.