Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

V-H Stepped Drag Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 08:47 AM
usblues101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V-H Stepped Drag Pipes

Thanks,am on it,Bob

Old 12-28-2005, 02:42 AM
theyogawarrior
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

megaHDman.
I've been lurking around the website while I wait for my new Street Bob to come in and I've been reading all the post, mostly yours and may I say that you know your stuff and I want to thank you for the free education. I've been out of the Harley game for about 6 years after riding nothing but Harleys for about 20 years. Since I've been away lots has happened to these bikes to say the least. Back in the day we would just put on an SS carb change out the pipes and be off on our merry way. My question to you is this. I don't mind spending the money to make this slow bike hop however I hate making mistakes due to my lack of knowledge and thus wasting money. First I'd like to of course change out the pipes and I dig the V&H Thunderheader, what do you think? And which download would you use? Airfilter?. That would be it for a few months of riding then perhaps a 95 or 98 ci upgrade. Would the pipes work with that as well. or would you just go with slipons until i do the 95 or 98? This is just the start for me but those first few mods must be done before I drive it off the lot and i want it done right. to bad you don't work at Bartells harley Davidson in LA. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Rudy

Old 12-28-2005, 06:47 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V&H Thunderheader? You mean Rich's Thunderheader?

The Thunderheader by Rich is a good pipe for stock and modified 88" twin cams and very mild 95" twin motor builds. I dont like the pipe for larger or more agressive engines. The Thunderheader was originally designed around an 80" EVO and hasnt been changed in anyway since.

So simply put, I would just go with some basic slips-ons until you have figured your engine combo out. Exhaust should be the last consideration when doing a performance build and only picked out once you know what your going to do enginewise.

As for downloads, I dont make any recommendations on them, I have yet to see a really good factory download that properly and fully matches your fuel and ignition curve to your engine's requirements.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:18 AM
theyogawarrior
Tourer

Thanks for the reply magaHDman. I'm not sure where I got my wires crossed and said V&H Thunderheader when I meant V&H two into one. I guess since I've been away awhile I've grown a bit of a cherry... Also you mentioned you don't recommend any Factory downloads. The question I have is this, when I bought my new Mustang Gt 6 months ago it was a bit restricted and quite at 300 hp. However once I put a steeda Cold Air Induction and Bassani axel back exhaust and flashed tuned it with the Diablo/Predator tuner it bumped it up about 30hp changed the fuel injection and adjusted the rev limits and shift points giving me a much quicker car to enjoy while I plan out my supercharger among other mods in an attempt to bring my GT up to about 500hp once all's said and done sometime next year. Now here comes my Harley project and I'm looking for a exhaust/AC/tuner? to help free up this bike while I plan my build and to hold me over while I enjoy my new bike untill next winter when it gets the 95 or 98' build (Another thread) I have big plans for this bike down the road but for the next 6-8 months I just want to get back in the wind and I'll live with just these mods in the meantime. Thanks

Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

Auto mfg's have had injected cars for years, FI though is new to Harley, and the mfg. own canned downloads which are notriously lean have shown to be poor on many occasions, I just dont like em. Get a powercommander or something similiar and tune it yourself.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:32 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer

After my research the powercommander it is. Thanks for the advice. Now what's your top choice for pipes and Air Filter/cleaner? I'm leaning toward VH or Bassani like my GT. but am open to all advice concerning this new bike.Thanks

Old 12-29-2005, 04:45 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

Bassani Pro Streets will be a great pipe if you do in fact plan on doing a 95/97" upgrade in the future with agressive cams.

Aircleaner choice, go with something other than the Screamin Eagle garbage........most important thing is filter size. Look for a filter that flows around 6-800cfm or more if you want minimal restriction for your engine.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:31 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer

Thanks maga, Bassani and powercommander it is for now. until next year when things will get ugly early.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:35 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer

I just checked the Bassani web site and I dig both pipes for this bike. The 2 into 1 and the 2 into 2. Best choice? And I can go either way.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:35 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer

anyone with a opinion on the above question