Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Removing Old Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Old Exhaust

I have an '05 Softail Deuce, and would like to change out the exhaust. I have the service manuel.

After scoping out what I'll need to do, I'm a little confused about how best to remove the nuts that attach the pipe to the exhaust ports. There doesn't look like its enough room to get a socket wrench onto the nuts to loosen them up because they are so close to the pipes much less a tork wrench to tighten the new system up.

Is this easier than it looks? Is there some trick?

Old 12-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Wide Glide 05
Tourer
Default RE: Removing Old Exhaust

Don't know about the clearance on your bike but I just took my stock exhaust off and installed V&H BS Staggered pipes and used a 1/4" drive ratchet, extension and socket. My bike is a 05 Wide Glide. Then, while the bike is in my living room for the winter, I had to remove the new exhaust to install some chrome which in turn interfered with the pipes after I installed them so had to pull the pipes again to trim the chrome piece and then reinstalled the pipes. I think I am done with the pipes for now! It is fairly easy but then again, I am an aircraft mechanic on the C-141 Starlifter AND C-5 Galaxy in the Air Force and if I can fix those big monsters, a Harley is easy!!! lol! You should be OK, maybe some others will have some tricks....

Old 12-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Rodent
Road Master

I don't know about the newer bikes, but on the older ones I had, a 1/2"-9/16" alternator/starter wrench came in handy being it had a curve to it. Perfect for heads and misc. nuts.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Otter

Just pulled pipes off of an 05 fatboy. No problems getting in, used a 12" extension and deep socket. Only bolt was forward cyl front nut that I used a wrench on.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the info., all. I happen to be one of those guys that ends up needing all day for a one hour job! I'm sure more room will become available once I remove the heat sheilds from the current exhaust.

This is my winter-time project, BTW. Wish me luck!

Old 12-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Otter

Yes, remove the shields first, pull off the mufflers. I used a 13mm deep socket (3/8" drive) with a l o n g extension. I had room on my Fatboy to get all but one nut. That one was easy enough to reach with a wrench. When you put the new pipes on check the gaskets and replace as needed. Sinch up the nuts evenly to be sure the flange mates evenly. You may have to shift (jiggle) the pipes as you snug the nuts up to be sure they are mating straight. Be careful not to overtighten as the flanges are just cast and will snap if not square or over tightened.

Good luck - lets see some pics of the finished product when done!! Heres my new pipes....

[IMG]local://upfiles/6362/FC32FC999F12444DBF96DD68EAE689E1.jpg[/IMG]