Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Need Help asap

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:35 PM
mayfiebl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help asap

92 fxrlrc with a 80 cu in mild build pistons ev59 andrews cam S&S billitt oil pump etc, I was riding her at a 80 mph pace when she stumbled and ran rough, got off the road it sounded like metal clanking being in the middle of knowwhere I had to ride her out, She holds oil pressure and I just drained the oil it looked burned it was changed less than 500 miles ago, I just changed the oil ran fine until she gets warm(about 10 miles then it smokes blackish and a metal sound is coming from somewhere in the engine, I cannot tell due to header etc....It still holds pressure and actually runs strong just what the heck could it be it has adjustible push rods do you think a lifter or pushrod??? I know its hard to say but I'm open to guesses, Last motor was a 3 month wait. Nobody up here has a open bay....Oh and the exhaust tip has a slight oil mist....very very slight...Rings???

Old 10-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Need Help asap

How many miles on those lifters and how hot is the oil getting? If you show oil in the pipes the rings may be waisted, try a leak down and compression test. Also bore scope through the spark plug holes.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM
mayfiebl
Advanced

3K on rebuild and I did not beat her, it does not smoke till motor get Hot...so you think rings...If it was a piston she would not run this hard right?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Stkman
Advanced

What do your sparkplugs look like?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:12 PM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer

what pistons you useing ?????????? if your using keith black pistons and didnt gap the rings correctly, you could have broke a top ring land, that would cause the metalic sound and smoking, the last bike i worked on that did the aslo broke the cases when the piston piece got caught between the head and piston, like everyone else said, check out the bore with a pen light and check the plugs for damage and/or metal and oil, sorry about the bad luck............

Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 PM
mayfiebl
Advanced

Ok I bought her used but it was fairly fresh she ran great for about 400 miles then this happened, I checked the plugs they had about equil oil gas carbon, kind of dirty but really not oily, It still holds abetween 12-18 psi oil pressure at idle and when reved it has betwenn 25-40 psi, it runs good never a loss of power however after about 10 minutes it puffs a blueish light grey smoke however the plugs are not white...The oil was very thin looking so I changed and its the same, I went right above bottom line at warm with bike level, I was told it had 2K on the pistons and rings cam etc when I got her, The guy seems honest and he and I at one time were in the same 3 pc patch club so I don't think their would be a BS issue, It has a Screeming Eagle ignition .010 shaved heads (Branch) I do hear knock every now and then but I cannot tell if its Barrel or Valve train area, It has a very loud V&H pipe on her. My gut says collapsed lifter or mis adjusted or bent push rod however i have never torn down a Harley engine. Keith Black Pistons 10.5-1, If it is the pistons slap what kind of money are we talking...I'm on a budget and somebody said it would be cheaper to get a stock evo than rebuild one these days...Advice???

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: mayfiebl

Ok I bought her used but it was fairly fresh she ran great for about 400 miles then this happened, I checked the plugs they had about equil oil gas carbon, kind of dirty but really not oily, It still holds abetween 12-18 psi oil pressure at idle and when reved it has betwenn 25-40 psi, it runs good never a loss of power however after about 10 minutes it puffs a blueish light grey smoke however the plugs are not white...The oil was very thin looking so I changed and its the same, I went right above bottom line at warm with bike level, I was told it had 2K on the pistons and rings cam etc when I got her, The guy seems honest and he and I at one time were in the same 3 pc patch club so I don't think their would be a BS issue, It has a Screeming Eagle ignition .010 shaved heads (Branch) I do hear knock every now and then but I cannot tell if its Barrel or Valve train area, It has a very loud V&H pipe on her. My gut says collapsed lifter or mis adjusted or bent push rod however i have never torn down a Harley engine. Keith Black Pistons 10.5-1, If it is the pistons slap what kind of money are we talking...I'm on a budget and somebody said it would be cheaper to get a stock evo than rebuild one these days...Advice???
If the engine is getting excessivly hot it will smoke like that and be noisey. Put an adjustable ingition on it, straight wt oil, and see if it doesn't act different.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 AM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer

does it feel lazy???????? might the timing is retarted.................. would cause excessive heat

Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 AM
mayfiebl
Advanced

No that is what is funny she runs hard..but after it rides about 5-10 miles she smokes a bit, If I let her sit at idle it does it after 10-15 min andI swearI hear a slight knock in the back cylinder, I put fresh oil in again 20-50 sythitic and it looks really thin like water, again she runs good but with this issueI really dont trust the bike, Someone said a adjustible pushrod maybe changed or a lifter is stuck....Not sure but the local shops are booked and $$$$ I will try the oil again what grade??

[IMG]local://upfiles/43620/DA8FDEC7C8B14C8B83B78FCC85B2B16C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 PM
mayfiebl
Advanced

Tried Harley 20-50 it really made her alot better, I still think I hear lifters but a 90% inprovment!!! Thank You!!!

Quick Reply: Need Help asap