Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Popping and hesitation in 06 RK Custom

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:02 PM
HDMomma
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Popping and hesitation in 06 RK Custom

Hello everyone! I'm having a problem with my 06 Road King Custom that is driving me crazy. I've taken her to two different HD dealerships for help, but they just tell me nothing's wrong with it and that I'm riding it wrong!! I may be female, but I've been riding for 30+ years and have been around scooters my whole life!! I am now taking it to an independent shop. Heput her on the dyno to see if he could recreate the problem.He was able to and said there definitely is something going on and is trying to figure it out.

So here's whatI've done and what's going on.Like I said, she's an 06 RK Custom with the Stage I breather kit, Samson slip-ons, and I've recently had a Terry Component TVinstalled to see if that would take care of the problem. The TV smoothed her out some, but not enough.I don't have a tach, so I can't tell you at what RPM's any of this is happening. Whatshe'sdoing is popping on decel, which I can somewhat live with, but the thing that's really driving me crazy is she "sneezes" at low RPM's, sometimes completely dieing on me, and between 40-60 MPH she has a hesitation.

My new service guy is going to take thetime this fall when things are slow to take things apart to see if he can maybe find something, but I thought maybe one of you guys out there would have some ideas. I really love this bike and want to keep her, but pulling out into an intersection and having your bike die or almost die on you is a little scary, not to mention embarassing!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
gbagwell
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Popping and hesitation in 06 RK Custom

I had a very similar problem with low rpm coughing and sputtering. It was apparently due to a hole in my fuel line inside the tank. I say apparently because I haven't gotten it back from the shop yet. I also had aloud hiss from the front of the engine. here is the post https://www.hdforums.com/m_2187167/m...tm.htm#2187167

good luck

Old 09-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

First off... Welcome aboard...... Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the NEW MEMBERS SECTION.....

Secondly, take a look at your injector part number.... this will tell you if it s the 8 or 25 degree variant...

Additionally, was the "Sneezing" happenning before the Terry unit was installed and does your ECM have a Stage I Race or Legal flash....

Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 PM
HDMomma
Cruiser

The injectors have been changed out already. I found the HD bulletin on the injectors and had my dealership change those already. It didn't help at all.

The sneezing was happening before the Terry unit was installed. It started happening at about 2,000-3,000 miles. I live in Maine, and I rode to work this morning. It was probably about 55 degrees and foggy. She DOES NOT like the cold at all. I didn't think I was going to get her out of the garage ... sneezing, backfiring, and just generally didn't want to run. When I rode home this afternoon I thought it would be better because it had warmed up, but she's not running well at all. As far as your question regarding the ECM, I don't understnd that at all. I'm mechanically inclined, but I only know the very basics as far as engine operation.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Was your ECM reprogrammed when you had the AC and mufflers installed, and what version was installed, if you had it done....

Seeing as your injectors are newer, I'd venture to say it is your ECM programming, or a faulty sensor.... doubtful about mechanical, but the possibility is there...

Was the Terry unit dialed in by a shop on a dyno, or done by the seat of the pants....

Old 09-20-2007, 02:33 PM
HDMomma
Cruiser

No. When the Stage one was installed the stock mufflers were on it. I installed he slip-ons, but didn't have a problem until later. I tookthe slip-ons off and put the stock mufflers back on, and it ran just as bad. The Terry unit was installed at a shop and dynoed.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:35 PM
HDMomma
Cruiser

If I don't run her over a cliff in the next 24-48 hours, I'm inclined to take it back to a HD dealership since it's still under warranty. Are they going to give me grief about the Terry??

Old 09-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

They might give you grief if they didn't install it....

Whoever dialed it in should have noted the inability to change the prior issues, unless they chose to ignore it alltogether.....

When you say Stage I... are you referring to the AC unit????? I believe this is part of your problem.... The closest ECM flash that you will need is the 1450 Stage I Race...

The Terry Components unit is only modifying the pulse width of the injectors, in relationship to the position of the throttle plate.... Wit the o2 sensor in place, it is attempting to verify the "Theoretical" desired AFR (Air Fuel Ratio).... The tuner that set it up, SHOULD have validated the correct settings....

Are you sure that the Terry is operating correctly, by viewing the LED's (FI light)....

Old 09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
HDMomma
Cruiser

Thanks for all of the info. I've printed everything and will take it and hopefully will get results from somebody. Of course, if anyone out there has anymore suggestions, I'll take all I can get!!

Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Have some one check the fuel pressure. It has all the symptoms of the fuel line in the tank rubbing a hole through from rubbing on the inside of the tank. Do you hear a hissing sound after the pump cycles on startup? It was more common in the earlier years but don't rule it out. The replacement hoses were shorter than the originals were.