Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

RANDOM ROUGH IDLE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:30 PM
daconiam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RANDOM ROUGH IDLE PROBLEM

OK, I have a problem with my engine idleing and running rough. It is that way most of the time but occasionally it runs smooth as silk. I can find no pattern to it (weather, temp, etc). After installing IDS it has mostly smoothed out (masked) it whilerunning down the road, but the idle is still rough to varying degrees (some times like it is missing, bucking bronco,but mostly just rough and uneven, kinda "out of sync" running).

When I start the bike and it is smooth it will stay smooth the entire time. It will not go between rough and smooth running or anything like that. It is like every time I start the bike it randomly decides to run good or bad until I shut it off (mostly mild to very rough).

I had gotten a code twice about a rich rear O2 sensor and when taken to the dealer they said it was aloose connection at the sensorand just re-connected itbetter. I have gotten no new code after about 100 miles of ridingsince the dealer visit.

I tell the dealer each time about the problem and each time they report back no problem with rough running or rough idle (about 5 times).

If it never ransmooth I would believe the bike was normal but when it runs smooth, it runs great, it is like an entirely different bike at all RPMs!

I have changed the plugs twice and changed wires.The next thing to do is try the injector cleaner stuff. The motor mounts are good.

(had a similiar post in touring section)