Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Dyno with V&H Quiet Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007 | 05:22 PM
OldBoldPilot
|
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member
Default Dyno with V&H Quiet Baffles

I'm scheduled for a dyno tune on Saturday. I'm running V&H Big Shot Longs with quiet baffles on an '06 FLSTCI. The quiet baffles seem to be pretty much closed at the rear, compared to the regular baffles, and the tuner said he thinks he'll have to drill a small hole in the baffles to get the probe where it needs to be.

Has anyone else had this done, and has the drilled hole caused the sound/tone/volume to change?

Old 09-13-2007 | 12:45 AM
Hughey79
Tourer
Default RE: Dyno with V&H Quiet Baffles

I have the big shot staggards and installed the quiet baffles prior to getting the dyno done. The tuner had to drill a hole in one of my baffles to get the sensor to the front of the header.
He said I wouldnt notice a change of any sort. Personally I did. It sounded tinny like with the regular baffles. So I bought a new one to replace it.
The quiet baffles did seem to help the torque though. I got 84 lbs and 80 hp. I was happy. The tuner though the open element filter and back pressure helped.
If you have any more questions let me know.

Old 09-13-2007 | 06:57 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

The hole should be pretty small and won't hurt anything.

Old 09-13-2007 | 08:48 AM
OldBoldPilot
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Worse comes to worst, I can always buy a new baffle. The performance boost should more than make up for it.

Old 09-13-2007 | 10:36 AM
BadCo
Stage III

Do those V&H quiet baffles really quiet the soundvery much? Do they also help performance?

Old 09-13-2007 | 11:17 AM
OldBoldPilot
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

The quiet baffles don't really make them much quieter--just 2 to 3 decibels, according to V&H, though that's really more than it might seem. However, they lower the tone significantly, getting rid of the raspiness that many V&H pipes put out, and giving the pipes more "rumble." When you compare the baffles, they look completely different.

I don't know how they affect power compared with the standard baffles, as I've never run the standard baffles. But on Saturday I will know how they compare, power-wise, with Rush pipes with 2" baffles, and I'll post the results here in a new thread. All other variables will be the same (same tuner, etc.) with the exception that I've since switched from a Screaming Eagle air filter to a K&N filter.