Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Confused about rejetting !

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:51 PM
cmorris48
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confused about rejetting !

I know this one has been asked before but I need clarification on my particular issue. Had an 06 883. dealer installed Rush mufflers, SE High flow air cleaner and rejetted the carb. Performance took a nose dive. Back to the dealer, tech says wrong baffles in Rush mufflers. Baffles changed, dyno'd the bike...big difference ! Now to my new situation. Traded the 883 for an 06 1200 Custom. What a difference ! Kept the Rush mufflers and some other bolt ons. I have 600 miles on the scooter now and wanted to just slip on (no pun intended) the Rush mufflers that came off the 883 and see how the 1200C Sporty performs and sounds. I am thinking (that is scarey in itself) I might not have to install a hi-flo intake or rejet the carb. I have literally done days of reading and research and the vote seems split. Will listen to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:01 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Confused about rejetting !

WEll most times you will find the first issue is what is called a lean "cough" you could try a sugar free halls cough drop in the tank hmmmm no..... that is for imports. Ok for base setting on a stock carb with little out of pocket I would install a 45 pilot jet and remove EPA plug and set fuel screw to 2 turns as a base setting. You might need a larger main jet as well, if you find that it falls on it's face in mid range or hard throttle input. I always install a kit and then tune from there and have great luck. I have tuned with out the kit but will see a lean spike in the a/f/r graph on hard throttle. The needle is a great tuning component, DO not use the thunder slide kit they do not work very well on sportys, they tend to lift too fast and creat a overly rich condition that you cannot tune out. I have treid and gone back to the stock slide / with regular dyno jet kit and problem solved. I have tried jetting from one extreme to another, even to the point of extremely lean jets and TWO springs in the slide to slow it down. Like pissing in the wind .

If you only install the sli ons and leave teh a/c stock it might be ok but swap out to a high flow a/s system ans your stock jetting will now be lean as you are allowing more air to enter the engine and you have not increase fuel in same ratio. The settings I gave you are a starting point

Old 11-27-2005, 12:13 AM
cmorris48
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Confused about rejetting !

WOW ! Talk about fast turn-around. I go to check the light in the bathroom (right !) and when I get back...an answer ! Way too cool ! Many thanks kind Sir ! Dragging out my wrenches so I can tackle the muffler swap in the morning ! (Bought extra gaskets today just in case I screw em up !) Thanks again .