Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

UPDATE...Poorman's S/E Air Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:03 AM
liam51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UPDATE...Poorman's S/E Air Cleaner

Very interesting post. What is the difference between an Arlen Ness Stage 1 kit and a SE stage 1 kit? $89.00 versus $139.00 is quite a difference. Does one come with the better K&N filter? Does one work better than the other? Ive got a 2005 EFI RK with SE exhaust already. I want to increase the HP with a freer breating unit. I'm just getting into the breather reaserch for springtime installation. Judging from this post and others, I definately want the K&N filter element. Its the hardware that I still need to sort out. Can I still use the stock chrome air cover after I change the filter?

Old 07-14-2006, 11:40 PM
jmxp
Tourer

I just ordered all the parts from Chicago HD. For some reason Zanotti was charging $8/each for the 3 AC studs!!! Anyway, I ordered the black wrinkle backing plate #29586-06 and with tax, tag, title, dealer-prep, I was out the door for $60. I ordered the HD0800 from Cyclespot for $41.

So....knowing I wouldn't get any instructions for this, I took a look at the SE kit on HD's website, compared it against the individual pieces I ordered, then went outside and took the stock AC off to see how this would go together.

Can somebody walk me through this real quick? I'm fairly competent with a wrench, but the HD pics kinda suck and I've never seen one of these up close.

3 Torx screws
3 AC studs
2 O-rings
2 Breather plugs
1 Plate
1 Filter
1 Gasket
Stock Cover

Just by eyeballing the parts list and the SE kit picture, this is my guess. Is it right?

- Gasket between plate and throttle body
- Studs go through the plate
- Filter slips on over the studs, the three torx screws hold the filter to the studs (blue locktite here)
- O-Rings on the breather plugs then insert plugs into large holes on plate and into the heads
- Stock cover bolts to the filter

Thanks guys,

John

Old 07-15-2006, 02:25 AM
twoseas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jmxp

I just ordered all the parts from Chicago HD. For some reason Zanotti was charging $8/each for the 3 AC studs!!! Anyway, I ordered the black wrinkle backing plate #29586-06 and with tax, tag, title, dealer-prep, I was out the door for $60. I ordered the HD0800 from Cyclespot for $41.

So....knowing I wouldn't get any instructions for this, I took a look at the SE kit on HD's website, compared it against the individual pieces I ordered, then went outside and took the stock AC off to see how this would go together.

Can somebody walk me through this real quick? I'm fairly competent with a wrench, but the HD pics kinda suck and I've never seen one of these up close.

3 Torx screws
3 AC studs
2 O-rings
2 Breather plugs
1 Plate
1 Filter
1 Gasket
Stock Cover

Just by eyeballing the parts list and the SE kit picture, this is my guess. Is it right?

- Gasket between plate and throttle body
- Studs go through the plate
- Filter slips on over the studs, the three torx screws hold the filter to the studs (blue locktite here)
- O-Rings on the breather plugs then insert plugs into large holes on plate and into the heads
- Stock cover bolts to the filter

Thanks guys,

John
Hi John,

I'm the original poster of this topic and I may be of some help. Here is a parts breakdown of the filter assembly. It is not the exact p/n for the screamin' eagle filter kit but the parts are the same. I had originally downloaded this from Harley Hog Lair, a website out of the UK but Harley Corporate got a hold of them and they aren't allowed to post any instructions any more. It's too bad because they had a whole slew of instructions for lots of Harley accesories.

Anyhoo let me know if you have trouble opening this file.

Hope this helps...

Ray

[IMG]local://upfiles/5217/3C081D642B674297A3069695D01A4234.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-12-2006, 08:37 PM
jmxp
Tourer

Thanks for posting the pic. Once I got my parts and took the stock a/c off, it all came together.

Thanks for sorting this all out. I got the wrinkle black backing plate and K&N filter for $39 less than HD wanted with the grey backing plate and paper filter. This is an excellent way to get the SE A/C update done.

John

Old 08-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for that...I'm am having trouble convincing the counter idiots at the local auto parts stop and robs that they can in fact order from K+N..oh well, I'll give it a try..
K&N used to separate the automotive dealers from the motorcycle dealers. I've worked selling aftermarket automotive and race parts for 30+ years and in the past we could not buy motorcycle filters from K&N, we were referred to one of their motorcycle distributors. It's been 3-4 years since I workd for a distributor who was a K&N dealer, not sure of their policy now.