Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

UPDATE...Poorman's S/E Air Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:24 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: UPDATE...Poorman's S/E Air Cleaner

Twoseas, thanks for the idea!.. I just ordered all the parts from Zanottis, and a KN filter from KN. I've got a concern though.... my bike is an '06 Dyna. On HD's website, they list a chrome backplate for my bike (#29510-05). If you look up the part number in the SE catalog, HD claims this same backplate fits 99 and up EFI models. Now, Arlen Ness makes a Big Suckah, but they say they have none to fit an '06 yet..... hrmmmm .. How can the SE part fit, if the Ness won't? I guess I'll see when it gets here [8D] Wonder if Zanotti's takes returns?

Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 AM
twoseas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

Twoseas, thanks for the idea!.. I just ordered all the parts from Zanottis, and a KN filter from KN. I've got a concern though.... my bike is an '06 Dyna. On HD's website, they list a chrome backplate for my bike (#29510-05). If you look up the part number in the SE catalog, HD claims this same backplate fits 99 and up EFI models. Now, Arlen Ness makes a Big Suckah, but they say they have none to fit an '06 yet..... hrmmmm .. How can the SE part fit, if the Ness won't? I guess I'll see when it gets here [8D] Wonder if Zanotti's takes returns?
JamieWG,

I quess what your saying is that your worried that the back plate may not work on your bike because your bike is an 06. And your basing this on the fact that Ness does not have an 06 fit yet but their air cleaner has worked on previous year bikes. Well I dont' have an answer for you regarding the Ness. But everything I have researched points to that HD backplate part number being the correct one. I had a close up foto shot of a used backplate that was being sold on ebay advertised as a Screamin Eagle High Flow Air Cleaner and I was able to read the 29478-05a part number.

I don't believe you need to worry regarding the fit. I honestly have not ordered the parts yet mainly because I've been working ebay pretty hard trying to find the chrome backplate that you mentioned. I'm about to give up and go the Zanotti route.

On a different note: I bought some used S/E Pro Pipes and they were suppose to come in today but they didn't !!! They will probably be here tomorrow. But my stogies came in and I just finished drawing on one.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Ray (twoseas)

Old 12-02-2005, 08:48 AM
JamieWG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: twoseas

JamieWG,

I quess what your saying is that your worried that the back plate may not work on your bike because your bike is an 06. And your basing this on the fact that Ness does not have an 06 fit yet but their air cleaner has worked on previous year bikes. Well I dont' have an answer for you regarding the Ness. But everything I have researched points to that HD backplate part number being the correct one. I had a close up foto shot of a used backplate that was being sold on ebay advertised as a Screamin Eagle High Flow Air Cleaner and I was able to read the 29478-05a part number.

I don't believe you need to worry regarding the fit. I honestly have not ordered the parts yet mainly because I've been working ebay pretty hard trying to find the chrome backplate that you mentioned. I'm about to give up and go the Zanotti route.

On a different note: I bought some used S/E Pro Pipes and they were suppose to come in today but they didn't !!! They will probably be here tomorrow. But my stogies came in and I just finished drawing on one.

Ray (twoseas)

Yep, just a little worried if the backplate will fit. It's not a big deal though, because our season is pretty much over. I've got two/three months to get it all figured out. I ended up getting the KN filter, chrome backplate and all the parts for just about the same price as HD wants for the SE kit. That's a smokin' deal! A stogie sounds pretty good right now. Thanks again for the help.

Jamie

Old 12-02-2005, 07:45 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Jamie, you did good...............

This is proof positive, that with a little engineuitey (sp?), you can figure out a way to save couple of bucks! When I bought Susie, they gave me a 1K store credit, and they had a Ness Big Sucka, and I got it, because at the time the SE kit was a paper filter, and I wanted the K&N because they're reusable, and HD's like to "fart" or backfire oil into the filter. As for the '06's not fitting, I guess you could go find the part number for the '06 backplate and see if it's the same for an '05. If it is, then you're good... sorry I can't be of more help. I bought Susie back in June as an '05 before the '06's came out.[&:]

joe

Old 12-02-2005, 07:49 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

UPDATE, UPDATE...

Special thanks to NutandBolt who said that if you go to Zanotti you can get these parts for even less money than your local dealer.

I priced out the parts and they have everything below except for the gasket and K&N Filter.

Total $32.44 plus $10.38 shipping = $42.82

I've been searching ebay for a deal on a S/E air cleaner and after being outbid a few times, I got to thinking about the following.

Why not buy the parts required to switch over to the high flow air cleaner. I downloaded from the internet the instructions for installing the Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner and called the local dealer for prices on the parts shown in the parts drawing.

1. Backplate - 29478-05A - $12.50 Zanotti - $9.66
2. Gasket - 29583-01- $1.30 N/A
3. Plug, Breather (2) - 29557-05 - $7.05 = 14.10 Zanotti $4.26 ea
4. O-Ring (2) - 11292 - $.95 = $1.90 Zanotti $ .71 ea
5. Stud, air cleaner mounting (3) - 29447-99A - $3.50 = $10.50 no change
6. Screw, button head (3) - 3938- $1.50 = $4.50 Zanotti $ .78 ea
7. K&N Air Filter HD-0800 - $39.00 N/A

Total $83.80

So I don't get the S/E trim ring but I rather pay this amount than the $139.95 plus taxes at the dealer or the average going price on ebay of $115.00.

Has anyone researched this before ?? Am I missing something ??

Please advise...

Ray (twoseas)

P.S. THANKS "TWO SEAS" FOR THE INFO.!!!!!!!!!!!! you know, that's why this forum exists! For good ridin' bro's and sisters to get together and share info. and help each other out!!!

joe

Old 12-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did it! I got all the parts for the Poorman's S/E Air Cleaner and I installed them today. Everything worked out great. I also did the Samson Rolled Thunder Pipes (Ebay) along with the PC III USB (Ebay). Thanks Forum. With your help I got it done. My entire package was only $550. HD Dealership quoted me about $1200.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:57 AM
twoseas
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

I did it! I got all the parts for the Poorman's S/E Air Cleaner and I installed them today. Everything worked out great. I also did the Samson Rolled Thunder Pipes (Ebay) along with the PC III USB (Ebay). Thanks Forum. With your help I got it done. My entire package was only $550. HD Dealership quoted me about $1200.
So did you get your stuff through Zanotti's ??? I'm glad it worked out for you ! Did you tune your bike with the PC III already. How she running ??

Ray (twoseas)

Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 AM
twoseas
Road Master

ORIGINAL: JamieWG

JamieWG,

Ray (twoseas)

Yep, just a little worried if the backplate will fit. It's not a big deal though, because our season is pretty much over. I've got two/three months to get it all figured out. I ended up getting the KN filter, chrome backplate and all the parts for just about the same price as HD wants for the SE kit. That's a smokin' deal! A stogie sounds pretty good right now. Thanks again for the help.

Jamie

Jamie, did you get your stuff in yet ?? Did you install it ?? Any concerns with the fit ?? How's the chrome backing plate look ??

Ray (twoseas)

Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
JamieWG
Road Master

Jamie, did you get your stuff in yet ?? Did you install it ?? Any concerns with the fit ?? How's the chrome backing plate look ??

Ray (twoseas)

Nothing has arrived yet. Zanotti's didn't have all of the items in stock, so it could be a week or so before the parts show up. I called them up and asked about the parts fitting an '06 and they confirmed the part #'s in the HD catalog. The mechanic said he thought they would fit, but couldn't promise anything. They seem like real nice people and I'll order more stuff from them in the future. I'll let you know when it all comes in.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got my parts from the local HD Dealership. They gave me 10% since I'm in HOG. The price was slightly higher than Zanotti but I didn't have to wait for them to have the parts in, and I didn't have to wait for shipping. I did tune it with the PC III and it is running great. I do have very very very minimal popping during decelaration. I have read somewhere how to correct this, but I'm not concerned. I'm just happy I'm not stock anymore.

Quick Reply: UPDATE...Poorman's S/E Air Cleaner