Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

NEW HD Slip Ons turning blue

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 AM
fedfuzz79
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW HD Slip Ons turning blue

I have a Peace Officer Ed. Heritage with the Twin Cam 88. Less than 2500 miles ago I took it in to the local dealership and had them install the stage 1 kit complete with down load and install HD Slash Down slips ons. Well like I said just over 2000 miles and the top pipe is turning blue right were the bottom pipe ends. What exactly is causing this, I thought by having the download performed it would prevent the pipes from blueing. I am assuming this is the bike running to lean. At least that is what I have read. Is there anything that can be done to stop further damage? Will the motor running lean result in other items other than the exhaust starting to blue? and Is it doing any damage to my engine? Thinking about installing V&H Big Shots long, or Long Shots HS along with the V&H Fuelpak. I understand the fuelpak should richen the bike up slightly. If I do this should I have any further trouble with the pipes blueing?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Warrenty is down to about 6 months, if any permanent damage is being down I want to get it took care of now.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 PM
juslearnin
1st Gear
Default RE: NEW HD Slip Ons turning blue

Same 05-bike with 4K miles with same kit, V&H short shots- no problems. Then I went on a 4K ride and ran it 8-hr days, 80+mph, hard. Top pipe began turning gold directly above the short one; then dark. Lower one also changed to a little gold by the time I returned 2-wks later. At my dealer now. He thought perhaps the initial download was incorrect (by my purchasing dealer from day one) or the intake valve had a leak. My riding buddy on a Road King complained it was running "rich" when he rode behind me. They are going to diagnose in 2-days, fix, and install V&H long shots, which he said are better for the Heritage with the Stage One.
We'll see.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM
fedfuzz79
Novice

Let me know what the dealer finds out. I haven't had anyone complaning of mine smeeling rich though. I think mine is more on the lean side. Did the dealer say why the longshots were better? Everything I had read said the cross chamber on the big shots increased power. I personally don't know, I like the looks on the longshots hs better. Let me know what you think about the sound also.

Thanks for the reply

Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM
juslearnin
1st Gear

I'll post what they say when I find out.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 PM
juslearnin
1st Gear

They told me my VH straightshots were simply a bad run of pipes; that it happens some times. Had I bought them from them, they would have replaced them. I went with the VH Long Shots. At the VH web site, you can listen to the pipes for your model. The Long Shots look great, seem to give me more umph than the straight shots, but LOUD. I have to get used to them. Here's a link http://www.vanceandhines.com/a100.html# Good luck!