Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

15 months in Iraq, bike's in strorage. What exactly do I need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 AM
hawkdriver77
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 months in Iraq, bike's in strorage. What exactly do I need to do?

By the time I get home it will have been 15 months since I've seen my '06 Street Glide. When I left I was supposed to be back after six months. So that's what I planned for when I stored it. Ithe appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer in it and filled the tank. I unhooked the fully chargedbattery and my wife put her in storage. She's on her tires and wrapped to keept the dust off of her. I'm a helo pilot and know the very basics about the mechanics of my bike. Very basics. I plan on draining the fuel, making sure the tires are properly inflated and making sure the battery is good to go when I get back. My question is, is this going to be enough? What about engine oil? Should I take it to the HD dealership and let them take a good look at it? Any well educated guesses would be appreciated. Fly Army. DUSTOFF!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Default RE: 15 months in Iraq, bike's in strorage. What exactly do I need to do?

Back when I was a sailor, I would have to leave my stuff for six months at a time. The stuff you suggest should be fine: Charge up the battery, change the oil (preferably all of them), check the tire pressure. Is that a carb or EFI? A carb might have some crud in the bowl, even with the stabilizer. EFI might too, but it might blow out of the injectors. A bottle (or half bottle at a time x 2) of fuel injector cleaner in the tank won't hurt. It would also be a good idea to just drain out whatever is in the gas tank now and start fresh, but you might get by without doing that. I wouldn't worry about anything else.

Thanks for being there.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 PM
dsrtdoc
Cruiser
Default RE: 15 months in Iraq, bike's in strorage. What exactly do I need to do?

Hawk, welcome home.

The fuel should be drained and the oil changed but other then that check the tire pressure and condition of the rubber. You should be GTG. WIth a 15month sit time take it easy on your seals once you first start it andRide safe may take a while to feel comfortable again.
5 more months here and Ill be doing the same thing. DSTRDOC

Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 PM
pauletich
Road Master

Thank you for your service Hawk, I would change the fluids, do a good all around check mainly the tires. A bike if stored for a long time should be kept off the tires. But I think if you check her out throughly you should be fine.
Welcome home.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:33 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for dry rot on the tires, fuel lines or anything rubber, replace as nec. Check the brake fluid for moisture, if it looks cloudy, replace that too. Make sure mice haven't chewed through any wires. Welcome back, thanks for your service.