Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Odd Fueling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005 | 12:13 AM
maddog2
|
Stage II
Default Odd Fueling Problem

Hello,

I have a stock 2002 Dyna SuperGlide. I commute 45 miles to work.

On the way to work, if I fill up 3 miles from work, leave it parked outside all day, it's difficult starting my bike in the evening. Once I get going, if I accelerate above approx. 2500 RPM, it chokes, and dies. I can repeat this routine for several miles before it finally works itself out. I have to accelerate slowly. If I accelerate too fast, it dies.

On the way home in the evening, if I fill up 8 miles from home, leave it parked in the garage all night, it starts up fine in the morning.

One theory was vapor lock. So one time, after filling up 3 miles from work, when starting it in the evening, I first loosened the gas cap to relieve the pressure before starting. Same problem.

Another theory was bad gas. I've tried a couple of stations near work. Same problem. I've always used 91 octane gas.

I haven't found anyone who has had the same problem. To avoid the problem, I just don't fill up prior to parking it all day. If anyone has any ideas, or has experienced the same problem, your input would be helpful.

A new 2006 is starting to look reel appealing,
Gary

Old 11-17-2005 | 01:47 AM
markster6828
Intermediate
Default RE: Odd Fueling Problem

Check the tank vent tube, that it isn't stopped up.

If you fill up shortly before parking, and it is stopped up, the gas expands and has nowhere to go but into the carb, thus your engine flooding symptoms. Loosening the cap shouldn't have anything to do with it , if the vent line is closed, cause the carb has been flooded while you were at work. Filling up 3 miles from stopping should't be a problem.