Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde
View Poll Results: How do we resolve the California regulations issue with the missing exhaust?
Leave it as is (without a muffler)
9.52%
Buy the Vance & Hines Slip Ons
19.05%
Buy the Screamin Eagles Slip Ons
28.57%
Look for OEM Parts
19.05%
There’s another option you haven’t explored
23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

California Exhaust Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 07:22 PM
kenobi
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Exhaust Restrictions

I bought a used 2016 H-D Forty Eight and the previous owner removed the mufflers for whatever reason and does not have them. I was thinking about buying the Vance & Hines slip ons or the Screamin Eagle ones. Planned on installing the quiet baffles as well to be kind to the neighbors. I don’t want it to be loud. I learned quickly about the California regulations:

No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, a required motor vehicle pollution control device or system that alters or modifies the original design or performance of the motor vehicle pollution control device or system.

What are other HD owners in California doing? Looking for recommendations on what to do. My bike is clearly loud without the mufflers and is probably creating more emissions. Thanks in advance.

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty Eight

Last edited by kenobi; 01-16-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:27 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

Some of the beach towns are cracking down on loud exhaust. And every once in a while I’ve seen check stations. Don’t be obnoxious, and 99.9% of the time you should be OK. IMHO short shots are just obnoxious, and help to drive the M/C hate.

The following 3 users liked this post by TriGeezer:
deadhawg (05-16-2022), perki48 (02-12-2022), tngarren (01-17-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 09:34 PM
Rodent66
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Not a sportster , my 16 Streetbob Came w/long shots. Too loud also. I bought gutted OEM mufflers from American custom exhaust. Then I put the DK #158 lollipops installed 1-1/2” from the exit. This will bring enough restriction to bring back some lost torque from open mufflers/exhaust.This gave a lowered tone and not too loud, still have cats in head pipes though. Working / machining various baffles( because I can) to increase low/mid torque. Also because these mufflers have the HD wording/warnings engraved in the chrome, tells the officer that it is NOT an aftermarket muffler. Upon recommendation from Arseclown , Khrome Werks sells a OEM looking/shape, size bullit muffler that works really well-with the patented dog ball baffle-which will still be too loud. Look for Khrome Werks quite insert ( threaded rod with button disc) goes through the dog ball baffle. This should take off 2-3 DB ( they claim 4), they will look stock/OEM and some times all the officials have is a pic to quickly verify if exhaust is stock or not. DB meter is another story, but unless you do things to get you noticed, should be an issue. Check point stations ? laws on too much noise/sound ? That’s a different story. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:54 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,189 Posts

I bought a '20 Heritage with V&H slip-ons. Fun for a 30 minute ride but not enjoyable after that, especially with pretty bad tinnitus. Found a used/new stock exhaust on ebay for a song. Also think the stock exhaust looks pretty good.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:12 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
I bought a '20 Heritage with V&H slip-ons. Fun for a 30 minute ride but not enjoyable after that, especially with pretty bad tinnitus. Found a used/new stock exhaust on ebay for a song. Also think the stock exhaust looks pretty good.
What looks good and what performs good are two different things. There's nothing good about a restrictive exhaust or cats. Besides being restrictive cats cause serious heat issues as well.
My advice? MOVE! The Republic of Kali is not only a burden on it's own citizens but on the entire country with their communist laws and regulations. And no, I'm not kidding. Cut it loose and set it afloat!

Old 01-17-2022, 03:30 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

SE slip-ons will be EPA compliant and have the stamp on them. S&S also makes Cali legal pipes. I'd put pipes on it. It will run better.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:37 PM
WRNGWY
Cruiser
Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Back when I was riding in California it was the same way. Had to watch the noise with straight pipes and fishtails on my Iron Head and Shovelhead. It was a PITA then, bet it's worse now.
Don't have to deal with all that here in Tennessee.

Just had the CAT removed and tuned for fishtails. Loud and obnoxious. An old saying Loud Pipes Saves Lives.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:21 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 350 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
What looks good and what performs good are two different things. There's nothing good about a restrictive exhaust or cats. Besides being restrictive cats cause serious heat issues as well.
My advice? MOVE! The Republic of Kali is not only a burden on it's own citizens but on the entire country with their communist laws and regulations. And no, I'm not kidding. Cut it loose and set it afloat!
Hahaha once you leave Kali and move to America you can run what you want, for those that willingly grab your ankles, Enjoy.

Old 05-01-2022, 08:45 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Cobra has a list of pipes on their website that are 50 state legal

Old 05-01-2022, 08:53 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,577 Likes on 682 Posts

Yea those are just straight up straight pipes. That I’m sure is not only loud but sounds awful too. Either slip ons at a minimum or a full replacement system.

Quick Reply: California Exhaust Restrictions