Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Exhaust Advice Dyna 2-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022 | 08:44 PM
AftaDynaMint
|
Cruiser
Default Exhaust Advice Dyna 2-1

Hi. I need new exhaust, and would like some input. Bike is a 08 Dyna. Bored to 107ci, Tman 590 cams, street ported heads with 1.9 intake valve, stock TB bored to 50mm with 5.3 injectors, and Sawicki speed 2-1 pipe.

I dont want to lose performance but would prefer a more quiet pipe to cut down on the going deaf while touring (not going to use earplugs), and the tickets.

A lower exhaust note is preferable, but definitely secondary to noise level, and performance.

Supertrapp supermeg?
Fuel moto e series? ( Still in production? )

Thank you in advance.

Old 01-06-2022 | 12:25 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

RB Racing black hole w/ optional muffler packing.

Old 01-06-2022 | 01:03 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Quiet and performance are on opposite sides. You're going to give up one the more you gain the other. I don't care what anyone says. There's a couple similar builds going on that just might give you an idea how much and how important the exhaust is when it comes to power.
You could sure tone it down some with a longer pipe tho but not a whole lot quieter without losing power. Especially top end hp.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-06-2022 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2022 | 09:15 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

SuperTrapp Supermeg over e-series if you also run leather or cloth saddlebags always or occasionally. FuelMoto told me the SuperTrapp Supermeg is good up to 125 hp.

Old 01-06-2022 | 09:38 AM
AftaDynaMint
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Quiet and performance are on opposite sides. You're going to give up one the more you gain the other. I don't care what anyone says. There's a couple similar builds going on that just might give you an idea how much and how important the exhaust is when it comes to power.
You could sure tone it down some with a longer pipe tho but not a whole lot quieter without losing power. Especially top end hp.
I figured this is mostly true. Toned down would be a win. Possibly have a link to these other similar builds?

Appreciate the recommendation on rb racing, and the supermeg. Ill call them both.

The Sawicki seems like its the worst of all categories. My tuner said I was losing hp due to reversion, its LOUD, couldn't seal leak at the headers with SE gaskets that sawicki recommended, mounting bracket broke, bracket on pipe that attaches to mounting bracket broke, and one of the tabs that holds the safety springs broke off. Sawicki supposedly has a "lifetime warranty" but they dont answer the phone or return emails.

Old 01-06-2022 | 10:01 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

the SuperTrapp Super Meg is the ticket to still have performance and turn down the volume.
PLEASE disregard what Gunner said,,,,he is a known quantity that cant back up his claims....
with a similar build to yours over 115 hp and 120 torque can be had from the supertrapp and be very manageable on the ears,,,,,how do i know? cuase i've done it, and tuned on MY dyno!!
m
if it was my bike is se an EPipe, but they are hard to find used and i dont think FM is going to continue to make them, but maybe worth a phone call to ask.
m

The following users liked this post:
Arseclown (01-08-2022)
Old 01-06-2022 | 10:17 AM
AftaDynaMint
|
Cruiser

Appreciate the advice. Ill have to give the supertrapp a hard look. Cant find fuelmotos pipe on their website.
Found my dyno chart. Putting out 107hp/122ftlbs of torque. I cant really feel it but massive torque dip in lower rpm. Pipe issue?

Old 01-06-2022 | 10:24 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

those numbers should be easily achievable with the supertrapp, and maybe help to fix the dip too. might even get better!
m

Qdog002 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022 | 11:45 AM
billib1954
Road Master

2012 Dyna 107" build, 110hp, 120torque with about 24 discs on Supertrap Supermeg. Stock FI. HD prostreet tune.
not too loud at low rpms/cruising. Barks good when you get on it.
had one on fatboy too. Very happy!

Qdog002 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022 | 11:56 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

The other similar builds are currently in the building process. Mine is one of them. As for the Supertrapp, the quieter you try to make it the more power you lose and it sounds like ***. Like a sewing machine on steroids. I highly suggest you check out the sound in person before going that route! Its also not without reversion issues in some configurations.
Your reversion issue is common with many of the 2in1s. Especially short ones. Many, not all. The good ones are not quiet as a general rule. Not sure if there are any X pipe type 212s that would work on a Dyna. Probably not. If so, that would be your best bet for a toned down deep sound that performed well. That's the route another 107/590 build in progress is going I think. Not an option on my Softail tho.
Most that use the stock crossover lose top end hp. Especially on bigger builds. But some do well otherwise, Sound great, perform great. Just don't quite carry out in those last 500 rpms to get the hp of a 2in1. Still more preferable an option for some including me.
However for this build I'm going with a rare exception of a true dual that has it all except it's very loud. A nice deep loud but very loud nonetheless. Probably too loud for you. With the performance of even the best of the 2in1s tho.
Probably the best sounding 2in1 that performs well would be the Thunderheader. Not quiet but toned down some from that short pipe and without your reversion issue.
Pick your poison.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-06-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice Dyna 2-1