Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Exhaust Advice Dyna 2-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022 | 09:17 AM
AftaDynaMint
|
Cruiser

Good advice here. Thanks again everyone.

I listened to YouTube videos of all the pipes ( i know it doesn't really do them justice)

Supermeg sounds wimpy lol. The one that said it had 20 discs didn't sound terrible.

Rb racing black hole looks and sounds pretty good. Does anyone else have experience with these pipes?

Fatcat sounds badass....but I think its louder than I'd like even with the quiet baffle.

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-07-2022 | 11:13 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by AftaDynaMint
Good advice here. Thanks again everyone.

I listened to YouTube videos of all the pipes ( i know it doesn't really do them justice)

Supermeg sounds wimpy lol. The one that said it had 20 discs didn't sound terrible.

Rb racing black hole looks and sounds pretty good. Does anyone else have experience with these pipes?

Fatcat sounds badass....but I think its louder than I'd like even with the quiet baffle.

Any other suggestions?
That's why I said listen to them first. I know some builders/tuners like the SS as a quiet option and it's tunable but that's what gives it a very distinctive sound you either don't mind or really can't stand.
RB Racing makes good stuff and would probably be my choice in a 2in1 ahead of the Thunderheader if not for their wait time and **** poor customer service/ "we're exhaust Gods and you're a pissant" attitude I've heard they have from others here. Maybe worth giving them a call tho. Might not be as bad customer service wise now and always two sides to a story. Maybe a Bassini? They seem pretty popular but I couldn't say really as far as performance or sound. I've heard good tho.
Thunderheader too loud? I think it's a deeper note than the fatcat and has beat it in performance depending on builds, etc. Not as well made tho.
S&S Super Street? That might be a good one often overlooked.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-07-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2022 | 11:23 AM
AftaDynaMint
|
Cruiser

I've read the same about rb racing. We just got a foot of snow here so I'm ok with the wait time. There customer service cant be worse than sawicki lol. Id rather be told to F off than get no answer/response on multiple occasions.

I like the thunderheader but think it will be too loud.

Based on the bassani pipes I've heard im not a big fan. Too loud and high pitched. But that may not be all their pipes to be fair

Old 01-07-2022 | 11:25 AM
AftaDynaMint
|
Cruiser

Also I'm not married to a 2-1. I guess I'm just under the impression they're the best, and in general I like the sound.

Old 01-07-2022 | 03:04 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Well in that case, might want to look at going the direction I'm going. They are loud but a deeper loud and I'm doing them in turnouts which you don't see much and I think.look cool. Bassani Pro Streets with their Stepped head pipes are a rare exception for true duals that do great even in low rpm torque where they usually lack. I thought about and may still try my rush slip ons with the stock head pipes and crossover. Won't find a better sound and perform great. Just not sure how much top end I'd lose on a build like this. Only lost like 5 hp in my stage 2 103. Dirt cheap too and I could go one more size bigger baffles for better top end. People seriously underestimate them. I know you would absolutely love the sound. Can be had for a couple hundred bucks now days too.
Stepped head pipes would seal the deal if there was any available.
Otherwise V&H Big Shots are a 212 with a power chamber. They make a long version too with a deeper sound.

The pro streets did 115/115 in a 98 build with similar cams/compression and beat all 3 popular 2in1s tested against on that 98.
They are loud but nothing beats the sound of true duals. They would rock on a Dyna.
I'm shooting for 120/125 running with the same build but at 10.9 compression and an HPI 55/58 Max Flow throttle body just just showed up 5 minutes ago. Like Xmas late here this week!

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-07-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2022 | 05:16 AM
JoeeJoee
Tourer

I'm a gonna give a big + to this statement from, "hrdtail78".

"There is a certain sound an engine will make when heads, pipe, cam, and intake are all working together. Comes on about 5500-5800 to 7 something. It's when over lap, scavenging, cylinder fill, slug of air leaving is pulling that intake slug in..... When this tone changes and you hear it. You know when the sheet pops up. HP is carrying to redline and it's going to ring that bell. Hard to describe but when you hear it. You know."

You just know when you know.......... It's a hotrod thang !!

Old 01-08-2022 | 07:48 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Red and blue are fatcat. Green and yellow are the Bassini Pro Streets. Which would you rather have? The Pro Streets will also have a much deeper exhaust note than any 2in1. Especially your short, megaphone. They will be loud tho. They eventually got the Pro Streets hitting 100ft.lbs. of torque by 2500rpm.

Originally Posted by djl
Don't disagree but the "proof is in the pudding" as my Grams used to say. Both my tuner and I were very surprised but it was disappointing but certain combinations of high flowing heads, matched throttle body long cams and higher compression become very exhaust sensitive. I had the Bassani Pro Streets but we were experimenting with cams, pipes and throttle bodies. Check out the chart; red and blue runs are the Fatcat and the only difference was the pipe. No one in their right mind would leave 15TQ on the table; particularly at 2500rpms. Who knows, you might be shorting yourself by running it. There are a couple of 2:2 pipes that will perform as well as any of the 2:1 systems, including the Fatcat.

We kept testing and eventually pulled the curve to the left to hit 100TQ by 2500rpms; peak numbers stayed about the same but pulled back to a more useable rpm range. Pretty hard hitting little 98" motor.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-08-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2022 | 10:13 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

So, which fat cat baffle? Perforated or louvered? Doesn't surprise me one bit if it was the perforated baffle.

Old 01-08-2022 | 11:52 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
So, which fat cat baffle? Perforated or louvered? Doesn't surprise me one bit if it was the perforated baffle.
I will have to ask. But there were similar results on the same build/testing with the pro pipe and thunderheader as well There's a dyno sheet here somewhere that has all 4 exhaust systems overlaid. As I recall the pro pipe did somewhat better than the fatcat down low. The pro streets were clearly the best tho.
I'm not trying to say 2in1s are junk or that they don't perform the best even in many cases. Especially mid and upper rpms. Many of them are not the greatest at low rpm torque in many cases. Usually a hp king is not going to be a torque king too.
Just that there are other options that can and do perform just as well even better in some cases.
In the case of true duals it's rare one does very well in low end torque. Most suck in fact but can do great mid and upper rpms. Obviously the Pro Streets are a very rare exception. I get that. There's 212 systems that often do well but fall a little short up top or the other way around.

But many have reluctantly gone to a 2in1 because of this inaccurate, false information that good power can only be made by 2in1s. Some have even been told an upgrade would be a waste of money without a 2in1. That's fk'd up. That's what I have a problem with.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-08-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2022 | 06:24 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Ok. I was able to confirm this was indeed the perforated baffle in an older version of the fatcat. I saw a somewhat better showing from a rebranded older pro pipe but falling 4 or 5 ft.lbs. short across the mid and upper rpm range.
Also, since it pertains to this conversation in regards to a favorite amongst tuners, the Supertrapp Supermeg, I got this info. 4 similar and probably best 98 builds out there. All with similar cams like the CR 595s with Dorman heads and the Pro Streets that did 115hp/113 torque. Two builds with WFO Larry's heads and the Supertrapp Supermeg that did an impressive 120hp but fell considerably short on torque with 105 and 107 and coming on later. The other was also with Dorman heads but with Python true duals. This one did a whoppin' 120hp/118 torque but had a HUGE dip in torque off idle and didn't hit a100ft.lbs.til 3500rpm. This is typical of what we normally see with true dual. Big numbers but a real poor lower end. The Pro Streets ended up hitting 100ft.!bs. at 2500rpms..
To sum it up, the Pro Streets are a freak when it comes to true duals and a very well balanced set of pipes that rival the best of 2 in1s. doing quite well from the very bottom, with a real strong midrange and holding their own with very respectable top end hp and no anomalies in torque anywhere.
These are all final tunes.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice Dyna 2-1