Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Exhaust Advice Dyna 2-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022 | 11:56 AM
AftaDynaMint
|
Cruiser

Appreciate everyone's input. Looks like it might be the supertrapp. Any idea if a D&D fatcat with quiet baffle would work well?

Old 01-06-2022 | 12:15 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by AftaDynaMint
Appreciate everyone's input. Looks like it might be the supertrapp. Any idea if a D&D fatcat with quiet baffle would work well?
Ptobably lose some top end but you'll lose some with the Supertrapp too. I'd do that before the Supertrapp. Just my opinion tho cuz I hate the sound of the Supertrapp.
I'd look at the Thunderheader too.
​Best to attend some big event and hopefully hear them all in person. Maybe the sound of the Supertrapp won't bother you. But in quiet configuration you will lose power.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-06-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2022 | 12:18 PM
AftaDynaMint
|
Cruiser

Thanks again. Anybody in New England have any of these pipes?

Old 01-06-2022 | 12:27 PM
bigal51
Road Captain
Talking

Iv'e seen to many 2-1's that were LOUD!, I put a Supertrapp on my stage 2 FXDL 103. Told the tuner I want a "quiet" tune. Doc, (THE TUNER) got me 100 TQ at 2k rpm and 109 at 3400rpm. the HP with a normal tune was usually about 95, the quiet tune was 92. I'll trade 2 or 3 hp on top for 2 extra ft lbs on the bottom any day.

The following users liked this post:
Qdog002 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022 | 01:44 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

Although the D&D and Thunderheader are great pipes, they are both WAYYY louder than the STSM .

Old 01-06-2022 | 01:44 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

the D&D with the quiet baffle is still significantly louder than an E Pipe of the SuperMeg.hile I have nothing against the Thunder Header, it is not quiet in your application, period. the tuneable disc systems are going to be your answer. And yes this is experience talking, no conjecture or supposition. Usually age brings wisdom, but for some people something just skips over that...............
m

Old 01-06-2022 | 02:05 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Noise does not equal power. Cylinder fill and flow does. Ever heard of a loud CTS-V? I have worked extensively with disc mufflers. Tested them with pressure, open caps, closed caps, no caps and all disc counts in between. Was told by Supertrapp that anything over 20 disc won't out flow empty end cap. Not what I have seen myself. 120hp limit? Not what I have seen myself. Here is an S&S crate 124 with worked heads and a off the shelf Super Trapp super meg w/ closed end cap.

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Advice Dyna 2-1-photo570.jpg  
Old 01-06-2022 | 03:09 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Well I'm not going I argue with you and I ride regularly with someone that runs the Supertrapp after switching from the fatcat for the same reason. I also never said noise equals power. Plenty of loud 2in1s not worth their weight in scrap. Obviously the OPs is one of them. Doesn't change the fact the guy I ride with lost power compared to the fatcat and even he can't stand the sound. But his wife insists on quiet.
Maybe the sound won't bother the OP. Some don't mind it, maybe like it. Others just tolerate it. Some hate it. I just suggested he listen to one first.

I'm not even going to dignify the asinine age comment any further than this.

Gunner out...

Oh and btw, I don't like loud for the sake of loud any more than you and I had the same concern going with the Pro Streets being short. But Don assured me it's not the case and why he went with them over the fatcat, pro pipe, and I think Thunderheader. He hasn't found a 2in1 yet he can stand the sound of anymore than I can. The Pro Streets are loud but a deeper loud than any of them and performed just as well even better in his case and that's good enough for me.
I loved he deep, not too loud sound of the Rush slip ons but they're not good for much more than 100hp with the stock head pipes. Too bad someone doesn't make stepped pipes for the Softails that can't run X pipes.

​​​​​​

​​​

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-06-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2022 | 04:10 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Well I'm not going I argue with you and I ride regularly with someone that runs the Supertrapp after switching from the fatcat for the same reason. I also never said noise equals power. Plenty of loud 2in1s not worth their weight in scrap. Obviously the OPs is one of them. Doesn't change the fact the guy I ride with lost power compared to the fatcat and even he can't stand the sound. But his wife insists on quiet.
Maybe the sound won't bother the OP. Some don't mind it, maybe like it. Others just tolerate it. Some hate it. I just suggested he listen to one first.

I'm not even going to dignify the asinine age comment any further than this.

Gunner out...

​​​
I would like to no more. How was it tuned after pipe swap. How was it tuned with fat cat? Did tuner take time to find the best disc count or did he slap some on and tune from there? What cam? What's the build? Compression and cam sure can change the sound of an exhaust. I like D&D and use them. Which one. There use to be 3 baffles offered. No power difference out of the wrapped or non wrapped louvered baffle but packing did suck up some sound. I have used them on big builds and haven't seen them support 155 hp, but the borezilla, yes.

I didn't say anything about age. I am not on here to argue. I like talking tech. Worked at my first custom Harley shop when I was 19. Worked full time part time in the industry for years. Bought my dyno and went full time tuner about 13 years ago. I am 48 and a lot of wisdom passes me by daily. I can only bring my knowledge, experience and common sense I have collected tuning 3-4 bikes a week for 13 years. I have a huge library of different combinations I have tuned. I have seen some things. Many different head porters. I have tuned Kirby heads, Hillside heads, Tman heads, Baisley, Mega-Flo's, and maybe any big head porters on the forums. Same goes for pipe manufactures. I have tuned several Sawicki exhaust systems. I have done many back to back pipe testing. Not saying I have seen it all or I know everything but my experience is a bit more than my buddy runs this on this one bike.

My sound reply was because of this: "the quieter you try to make it the more power you lose and it sounds like ***." I disagree with this but then again. I tune for best power and not for sound. I have also seen a universal ST muffler make more power with discs and a closed end cap over no end cap or disc. I would rather talk about how disc help with scavenging and reversion at WOT over an open muffler. How making a pipe that can carry about 2 psi through out the WOT run seem to do better than pipes that fluctuate pressure more during same conditions. Rather than just arguing over bs assumptions or age digs.

Sound is subjective. BUT the sound I want isn't at idle. There is a certain sound an engine will make when heads, pipe, cam, and intake are all working together. Comes on about 5500-5800 to 7 something. It's when over lap, scavenging, cylinder fill, slug of air leaving is pulling that intake slug in..... When this tone changes and you hear it. You know when the sheet pops up. HP is carrying to redline and it's going to ring that bell. Hard to describe but when you hear it. You know.

The following users liked this post:
TOE_CUTTER (01-09-2022)
Old 01-06-2022 | 06:35 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

The age thing wasn't referring to you, he knows who he is. I know you like talking tech and so do I. I've learned a few things from you and respect your opinion because you respect others even tho we disagree at times.
Not the case with some people. Sometimes there's more than one way to skin a cat, too
I would've never in a hundred years thought a true dual could do what the Pro Streets do/did for djl either. Goes against everything I know about true duals and scavenging. Or Max's custom true duals for that matter. They do even better than the Pro Streets on his and I rarely agree with Max about anything. lol I wish I could fab my own but lack the necessary equipment for starters.
Yes, the rest of the build plays a big part in it. Especially cams. More specifically the duration and overlap. Just because I don't have a dyno doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about tuning anymore than having one makes someone a good tuner. Again, not referring to you.
I looked at djl's whole build compared to mine before deciding the Pro Streets would very likely do the same for me and my build. Right down to the higher compression most are comfortable running.
My biggest issue with the Supertrapp, even more so than other 2in1s, is the sound. While performance is foremost, I know it's possible to have it without compromising my taste in sound and appearance. Maybe not as easily done, but possible. Might cost a few ponies but maybe not either. As for the tune in this case, or what baffles were used in what pipe, I don't know. You'd have to ask Don but apparently you know his tuner?
I just came here giving the OP my advice based on my experiences and not try to steer him to my preference. He obviously likes 2in1s and I simply said listen to the choices being given by everyone. Sound is subjective and often you can find good sound and still get decent performance even if it's not the absolute best. I'm willing to sacrifice a little if necessary to not have to use a 2in1. Besides the sound, they do nothing for appearance on a Heritage Classic imo. But I can't even count the times I've heard good performance can only be had by them and that's bs plain and simple. In the case of true duals it might be rare, but there's some real nice performance coming from the use of 212s. Especially those using certain cross under X pipes or power chambers and mufflers. Unfortunately for me and Softails it's tougher but still possible.

This is interesting and I know exactly what you're talking about. Happens a little earlier sometimes tho depending on cams/exhaust too. Been told I was nuts when I tried to explain it. I've always been of the mindset exhaust should be chosen to match the cams too tho. Exhaust has a certain power curve so to speak just like cams do. When they both match, that rpm range really rocks. I want both to be right where I run most of the time. Feels/sounds like engine suddenly just smooths right out and glides along almost effortlessly. Fuel mileage increases too the more you stay in that "groove".

Sound is subjective. BUT the sound I want isn't at idle. There is a certain sound an engine will make when heads, pipe, cam, and intake are all working together. Comes on about 5500-5800 to 7 something. It's when over lap, scavenging, cylinder fill, slug of air leaving is pulling that intake slug in..... When this tone changes and you hear it. You know when the sheet pops up. HP is carrying to redline and it's going to ring that bell. Hard to describe but when you hear it. You know.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 01-06-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice Dyna 2-1