Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

One step at a time?? SEII slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Paratrooper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One step at a time?? SEII slip ons

I would like to add SE2s to my 06 FLSTI. Someone told me that mapping is most important when you change the amount of "air in" to the bike, and it is not necessarily needed when you change the "air out" as in a SE2 exhaust upgrade. If I wanted to, could I add the SE2 exhaust without the remap(and not hurt my bike), then after I bought the intake upgrade, do the remap at that time to save money?? I realize that I could just spring for the Power Commander and just re-map it myself everytime I upgraded, but that would mean more money.

I try and piece my upgrades so that my wife doesnt have a cow.

also, my dealer told me that for the 06 bikes, the only way to re-map is with the Power Commander due to HD not releasing any 06 maps. (for some reason) Anybody heard of this????

HELP GUYS!![&:]

Old 11-10-2005, 08:28 AM
JeffD
Tourer
Default RE: One step at a time?? SEII slip ons

I rode my 05 FXSTI for a year without having the remap done. All I did was add SE2 pipes, and kept the stock air cleaner. Put 5000 miles on it, and no problems.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Paratrooper
Intermediate

awesome!! Thanks Jeff

Old 11-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Paratrooper
Intermediate

Well guys I put on the SE2s and I love them!!! They sound just like I want them to sound!!!! Nice rumble and growl. I was afraid that I would see an increase in engine idle which is reminicent of running rich... but all is good. Once I add the aftermarket intake I will purchase a Power Commander and remap it all at once.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I rode with just the SEII slip ons for about 200 miles and was not happy with the performance of the bike (lost torque) or how the pipes sounded (loud). I installed the SE II A/C and had the stage one remap done, and now I love the pipes. Just doing the mufflers and not the A/C and ECM remap will make the bike run lean and a little hot. I don't think you'll hurt the bike running in this condition, however you will really notice the difference in sound and performance by completing the stage one upgrade. Best money I've spent on the bike yet!!!

Old 11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
pingj
Intermediate

I have an '02 FLSTC and just put on a set of SEII slip ons. The bike was running really lean when I got it six months ago to the point that I had to rejet the carb. It had an S&S a/c on it when I got it. The bike was running so lean that I couldn't get it over 70mph on the highway. I went on jet size on the both the main and idle jets in anticipation of putting the SEII on. No that I have the new pipes I get the raw gas smell at idle. Performance is great when running down the road and I can fly through 70mph like a hot knife through butter but the gas milage has suffered (not that I really care about that) but when sitting at a stop light smelling the gas is bad. I'm riding in a Toys for Tots charity event this weekend and want to try to take care of the problem.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-14-2005, 09:11 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Geoseismic

I rode with just the SEII slip ons for about 200 miles and was not happy with the performance of the bike (lost torque) or how the pipes sounded (loud). I installed the SE II A/C and had the stage one remap done, and now I love the pipes. Just doing the mufflers and not the A/C and ECM remap will make the bike run lean and a little hot. I don't think you'll hurt the bike running in this condition, however you will really notice the difference in sound and performance by completing the stage one upgrade. Best money I've spent on the bike yet!!!
That's about the same thing I experienced. My bike is an '06 Dyna and I wasn't happy with just the SEIIs on it. I got it remapped and the change was remarkable. I still haven't added the SE AC yet and it runs so good that I may never.