Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Big sucker- cracked

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Critter174
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big sucker- cracked

I installed the big sucker the other day went to torque the bolts down that attach to the cab it said 3 to 6
foot lbs well got to 3 and the thing cracks around two of the bolts. [:@]Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. and to warn those who are going to buy the big sucker to be very careful put some loctite on the bolt and just snug them down don't think i will try torquing them down with the replacement. rant over.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Big sucker- cracked

Some of that "quality"Chinese steel, I'd bet! LOL

Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

happened to me.... been there done that

Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 PM
KuntryBoy
2nd Gear

Hey "Critter174" I have a "Brand New" "Arlen NessBig Sucker" still in the box( un-opened) ! It fits 07 Softail. I had ordered it for my 2007 FLSTC Softail Heritage Classic, but it was back ordered and did not arrive in time to be here for my scheduled shop appointment , soI had to go with what my Dealer had in stock. I paid $109.95 for it, I'll sell it for $ 80.00 if ya know anybody thatwants one ! Later,KuntryBoy (e-mail me ....carvette67@yahoo.com).......Buyer pays postage & handling.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Critter174
Road Captain

Well i went and bout another one cause i didn't have a receipt. But i do now so i will be sending the broke one back for a refund. and it is not steal it is cast aluminum and the could have made it a little
thicker around the screw holes but they were trying to save a few cent i guess. will get them a bad name if it keeps happening to other people. Got the other on tonight just loctited them real good and just snugged them up not a hole lot of pressure didn't want the same thing all over again . hope it helps someone else out. DO NOT TRY TO TORQUE THE THREE CENTER BOLTS DOWN
OR YOU LIBABLE TO HAVE A BAD DAY.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I went through two of them on one of my Sportys. Both got replaced by AN. But still. That is why I went with the SE backplate and K&N filter this time.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:29 PM
CardsFanOne
Advanced

I had some problems with some bolts. One of the breather bolts broke off when tightening it and one of the bolts holdingthe backing plate on snapped.Both bolts snapped well before I reached the minimum torquerequired.Lucky I had a bolt removal kit that fit the breather bolt in order to remove it from inside the jug. Ihad a couple spare breather bolts I used and had to order some replacement bolts for the backing plate. Pretty poor quality bolts, I would say.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 PM
fiddlefadel
Advanced

I had one fall off my bike while riding (the backing plate must have cracked). I did not torque the replacement down, just snugged it up. It has been fine since then. Just put the Doherty power vent A/C on tonight, I'm tired of cleaning the bottom of my airfilter and the throat of my backing plate. Yea, I know they are exspense but since I've been through a couple of SEs and AN and a K&N, I could have bought the Doherty to start with.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Critter174
Road Captain

You would think that if they were have problems like this they would make some changes to the thing. I used to work in a die cast plant they could just thicken it up around the screw holes and solve this problem would cost more than about fifty cents per part and lord forbid they lose an extra half a dollar per part. for that matter i would have paid a dollar more for it if i knew it wouldn't crack when the least amount of pressure was applied to it. Do not think I'll be buying nothing else made by Arlen Ness
and I'll tell everyone when they ask what I think of Arlin Ness.[:@]

Old 08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
pauletich
Road Master

Happens to all of us, I hate when a ten minute job becomes an all day one with plenty of trips to the HD shop. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Big sucker- cracked