Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Big sucker- cracked

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:12 AM
ReeseSS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big sucker- cracked

I have had this one on this bike for two years now, have had it on and off at least 6 times tinkering with other stuff. No problems at all. I never torque the bolts very tight to extend the life of the rubber washers, last one I had even longer before selling the bike.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

I was putting my wife's 883 back together after replacing the rocker box gaskets (again) and I put a torque wrench on the bolt that holds the bottom box to the head and carefully applied torque. Of course, the bolt snapped off. And, it was the one right under the frame that was impossible to get to. So, I had to pull the head off.

My philosophy now is that there are 8 bolts that require a torque wrench on a Evo HD (the 8 head bolts). No other ones get the torque wrench.

On my wife's bike, when I changed from a S&S shorty to fuel injection using a Buell throttle body and intake (home built computer), I made an adapter to go from the Buell (Mikuni, actually) throttle body to the S&S back plate:

I made the adapter from the top of a Toyota 22R piston.

Here it is all together:

Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Critter174
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ReeseSS

I have had this one on this bike for two years now, have had it on and off at least 6 times tinkering with other stuff. No problems at all. I never torque the bolts very tight to extend the life of the rubber washers, last one I had even longer before selling the bike.
Never had a problem with the bolts that hold it to the head the ones with the rubber washers. The three in the center that bolts it to the carb is the ones i had problems with and from some of the people i talked to this is not a rear occurrence if you torque the three in the center the one on the bottom is the worst at cracking, witch they replaced with a new one and i just snugged the second one down no torquing the three center bolts and with any luck won't have to take it back off for a while.