Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

POWER COMMANDER ?? OR OTHER

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 AM
throttlejunkie
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default POWER COMMANDER ?? OR OTHER

HI
I AM PICKING UP AN 05 DELUXE THIS WEEKEND AND WANT TO INSTALL SOME PIPES AND NEW AIR CLEANER. WHAT FUEL PROCESSOR DO YOU RECCOMEND? IS THE POWER COMMANDER THE BETTER ONE?
ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT.
THANK YOU.
DAVE

Old 08-07-2007, 12:10 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Default RE: POWER COMMANDER ?? OR OTHER

Cruise throught the board here and you'll find a boatload of information.

The PCIII is OK, it works. You will need some dyno time to get it set right. It's better than what you have (stock), but not the best available.

One of the wide band self tuning modules is a better choice, IMO. More expensive to buy, a little more difficult to install. But self tuning - so no dyno time now, or in the future when you change something again. TCII and Thundermax seem to be the most popular.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 PM
6flhxi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2005 models don't use O2 sensors so don't buy a wide band self tuning module. Get a SERT and you should have no problem flashing in a canned MAP for your set-up. Also, there's nothing to package on your bike w/ the SERT. After you've flashed the m/c w/ the appropriate calibration, ride it under varying conditions and do your own "seat of the pants" evaluation. How's fuel consumption, any hesitation, popping, etc?? If not, you're good to go. Additional time on a dyno w/ a sniffer will likely yield some better results. Take it one step at a time but remember this...the SERT is the only tool that gives you complete access to all of the ECM's parameters.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

The PCIII is OK, it works. You will need some dyno time to get it set right. It's better than what you have (stock), but not the best available.
I must disagree with your generally medocre review of the PCIII, as you don't necessarily need to perform dyno tunes to "get it set right." If purchased from an outfit like Fuel Moto, you can obtain the unit with a canned map installed that has been developed on a bike like yours with the same hardware modifications. These maps will be very close to ideal and won't require further dyno tuning unless you intend to tweak every last 1/10 HP out of your configuration, but you are still open to make modifications to the map as you see fit. I've successfully tweaked mine for gas mileage in the cruise range without adversely affecting overall performance, for example.

That said, if you plan on making future changes, especially incremental ones, the PCIII will need further attention in the way of new canned maps or dyno tunes. Canned maps may not be available for your exact setup in this case, and to "get it set right" you may need dyno tunes, which if done repeatedly for incremental changes may get expensive and time-consuming.

The wide-band closed-loop solutions like DTT and T'Max may be the answer if you make these incremental changes. However, in the case of the T'Max the base map must be very close to ideal for it to auto-tune properly. For example, you likely won't be able to take a base map designed for only a muffler/AC change, then add a bolt-in cam and expect it to adapt to ideal settings. Go read the T'Max FAQ for more on this. I'm not sure how flexible the DTT is in this regard, as I'm not that familiar with its design details. In the case of the T'Max, if a good canned base map isn't available for your latest change, you may need a dyno-tune to get it close enough to auto-tune properly.

By adding the Multi-function hub and map switch to the PCIII, you can run two maps which are switchable on the fly. I've made this addition and run one map for normal riding, which is tweaked for mileage, and another for heavy traffic when cooling is the priority. I don't think you can do this with any of the other products on the market, and to my knowledge none of the existing wide-band closed-loop solutions are flexible enough to provide extra cooling in traffic as this dual-map feature does.

My only point here is that the PCIII may be the right solution for some people, most notably those who don't plan on making incremental changes to their drivetrains, but none of the options I've seen are ideal for everyone. There is a downside to all of them, and initial cost vs. intended application is certainly one big criterion that must be considered.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:01 PM
throttlejunkie
Road Warrior

THANKS FOR THE INFO.

DAVE

Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 AM
radridd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iclick,

Very well put! None seem to be the perfect package. Thats why I just ordered a pcIII from fuel moto. IfI knew more about this stuff I might have made a different choice. For the price and pre-mapped package it will meet my needs for now.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 AM
throttlejunkie
Road Warrior

ANYBODY FAMILIAR WITH THE VANCE & HINES FUEL PACK ?
THEY TOLD ME IT WAS PRETTY SIMILAR TO THE POWER COMMANDER, BUT EASIER TO PROGRAM.
I DON'T PLAN ON DOING ANYTHING MORE THAN AN AIR KIT & PIPES SO I DON'T THINK I NEED SOMETHING SUPER PRECISE WITH A LOT OF COMPLICATED PROGRAMS.
THANKS
DAVE

Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

TUD, there is nothing complicated about the PC111, you follow the instructions on how to install the hardware first of all.
Then you install the supplied cd into your laptop and do some reading on MAPS they have done.
Then you choose the MAP from the cd supplied that matches closely to your build for model and yr..
Then follow the prompts to install the chosen MAP. simple as 1-2-3, then it is off for a test ride and of coure you can always check your plugs to see if you are lean or rich.
This isthe simplified method of the install if you will...
If I can do it, I am sure you can too.
As for the V&H fuel pack I have no experience there but will assume , even if I make an *** outta myself that it is very simialr just uses a different method of installing...

(disclaimer : No JB Welb was used in this post and I do not condone the use of or lack of said product when installing M/C components )
Sorry couldnt resist.
Run What You Brung and have fun.
Rob

Old 08-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

For the cost and return, the T-max AutoTune is the way to go. No more dyno charges, a "rolling dyno" on your bike, and you'll SAVE money in the long run. Adding 02 wide-band bungs to your exhaust is not a big deal. I would have this system, but would need to change out the entire EFI for an expensive conversion kit to run it (MM EFI). My PCIII, however, was a great investment as an alternative.