Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help with really loud Vance & Hines

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help with really loud Vance & Hines

I bought a 2006 Fatboy SE, and it has the V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 pipes. They are gorgeous. Their description on the V&H website indicates that these are baffled pipes. Having said that, this bike is LOUD. I mean friggin LOUD. So, 2 questions. First, are the baffles removeable, and how can I tell if they have been removed? And second, if they are gone, does anyone know if I can order new baffles to put back in the pipes? I love a loud bike as much as the next guy, but I live in a condo full of older folks that probably don't appreciate loud bikes as much as I do.

Thank you,
Michael

Last edited by Dynalmadman; 07-01-2020 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Because I suck at spelling
Old 07-02-2020, 07:47 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Look towards the rear of the pipe on the backside , there should be some set screws that hold the baffle in place . The baffle that should be in there will be a standard louvered type . Vance and Hines offers a quiet baffle for your set up that should quiet it down a few Db . If your bike still has the standard baffles in it , you should notice a slightly deeper rumble and a little less " bark " with the quiet ones , part # 23081 .

Old 07-02-2020, 07:52 AM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
Look towards the rear of the pipe on the backside , there should be some set screws that hold the baffle in place . The baffle that should be in there will be a standard louvered type . Vance and Hines offers a quiet baffle for your set up that should quiet it down a few Db . If your bike still has the standard baffles in it , you should notice a slightly deeper rumble and a little less " bark " with the quiet ones , part # 23081 .
Thanks for the reply. Ok. Great. Yah, I looked and could see the baffles in there. Man, this thing must be unforgivably loud without the stock baffles.

Dennis Kirk has the 'quiet' baffles. Gonna give those a try.

Thanks again
Michael

Old 07-02-2020, 08:04 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

[QUOTE=Dynalmadman;19234968]Thanks for the reply. Ok. Great. Yah, I looked and could see the baffles in there. Man, this thing must be unforgivably loud without the stock baffles.

Dennis Kirk has the 'quiet' baffles. Gonna give those a try.

I know what you mean , friend of mine has them on his Deuce , couldn't believe how loud they were with the baffles . I helped him install the quiet one's . I think you'll like them , little deeper tone , which is more pleasing to the ears .

There are other quiet baffle options , like Big Thunder , etc ..

Good luck , have a great day !

Old 07-02-2020, 12:00 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 770 Posts

I have a feeling that you're gonna **** off the neighbors regardless of what kind of baffles you put in those. The quiet baffles will help, but you'll have to be real easy on the throttle until you get out of the neighborhood.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevil
I have a feeling that you're gonna **** off the neighbors regardless of what kind of baffles you put in those. The quiet baffles will help, but you'll have to be real easy on the throttle until you get out of the neighborhood.
Yah, you are probably right, but as long as I make the effort and can show them I'm trying, then maybe I can keep the torches and pitchforks at bay.

Michael

The following users liked this post:
porkster (07-02-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 05:05 PM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I also have Vance & Hines headers and mufflers in by bike. They are true duals and are super loud, even with baffles. Well, I removed the old baffles and replaced them with the V&H Super Quiet baffles, but nothing changed. I am now dumping my V&H mufflers and installing the stock mufflers. Don't waste your money on their so-called quiet baffles ($49.00 each). They do nothing for the noise.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:48 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I have quiet baffles on mine and they made a difference. Less loud, less tinny, deeper sound.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:07 AM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser

Seems most folks don't hear a difference with the quiet baffles. But I'm gonna try them. Something to do for a couple hours anyway.

Michael

Old 07-05-2020, 07:25 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

Similar garbage on this bike when I got it . Worked back shift and being management, most of the times making sure 3rd shift was going well came home 2-3AM regularly. I care what my neighbors think.

V&H quite baffles are like plugs and there is no crossover. And still loud.

I ditched them and found a complete OEM like brand new take off for $40 postage included. Figured it was a scam but why not. Cost the seller $50 to ship it by the time he used a professional packer. Told me not to worry about it no less.. Was a new eBay seller. Living on a military base, he told me he had free shipping access.

I sold the V&H garbage on Ebay. Bike runs better, has engine braking and made it a nice cruiser.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-05-2020 at 07:31 AM.