Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

96" Motor Upgrades - Anyone done any yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM
tom73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96" Motor Upgrades - Anyone done any yet?

Just curious if anyone has done any upgrades internally to their 96" engine yet? I am sure someone has but after searching I couldn't come up with anything. For any of those who can offer me some ideas / recommendations, I welcome the feedback.

My current ride is an '07 FLHX. I came off of an 03' Softail that I did a 95" kit on which included heads ported. I never upgraded the throttle body. While I love the new bike I miss the power of the old bike. What I am looking for in the new build is TORQUE! Peak numbers are not important but a very flat curve is what I am looking for.

Some of my questions are:
Heads - Harley heads or taking them to a proven shop for porting?
Throttle Body _ Worth the cost to upgrade?
Cams - Recommendations. The last ones I used gave me great peak numbers but the powerband was 3500 rpm and up. Not what I plan on for the bagger.
Does using Harley parts help with reslae / trade? Not that I plan on it but if I am torn between 2 it could be the difference maker.
Has anyone done cams only? This would be the least expensive option.
If I am going to do the heads the 103" kit is a given but if I do cams only would it be neccessary.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:24 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 96" Motor Upgrades - Anyone done any yet?

Use of HD parts is good only for warranty,still smog legal design.Most are holding back on the upgrades either due to warranty or fear the lwr ends wont hold up.A good tuned 96 incher with basic add ons will perform as good as Hds 103kit.Why not bore your stock cylinders and just buy pistons,cams.Probably cheaper than HDs kit.A good running 103 is about tipping point for inake.A 107 kit I would say it would help more.A cam that comes on 3500rpms isnt going to do you much in a heavy bike,I would say call these cam guys and tell them what you want to build,how you ride,what you expect.Proven kits are the way to go,someone else has done your homework.True duals will put a dip in your dyno runs,a 2into one would be better if you can stomach the look.The stockheaders are very close to a 2 into 1,changing muffs might be cheaper.Take the right muff off and look up header pipe.Big restriction that may yield you as much as 3hp.HQs,Woods,andrews are the most common here for cams.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
skyhook
Tourer

I did this to my 96":
street port heads
andrews 37 cams
big sucker air cleaner
fatcat 2 into 1 exhaust
dyno tune with powercommander
94hp/97tq

Saw a dyno today of 96 with SE aircleaner, slip-on mufflers, andrews 37 cams, SE race tuner: 75hp/90tq.

I bet a 103 with street ported heads and mild cam would hit 100hp/100tq and not too expensive either.

If torque is what your after, imho skip the larger throttle body.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Cruisin1966
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: skyhook
. . .
Saw a dyno today of 96 with SE aircleaner, slip-on mufflers, andrews 37 cams, SE race tuner: 75hp/90tq.
. . .
That's strange. My '07 FLHTC with Hard Krome T-Rex duals, Ness Big Sucker, and SERT (dyno-tuned, overly rich, I might add) produced 76 HP and 94 TQ.

I would have expected the 37G to help out some, if not for bringing down the power to a more useable RPM range.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 PM
skyhook
Tourer

Yeah, I thought the numbers were low, too. The only other stage 1andcam 96 dyno I've seen was with SE211 and rinehart true duals. Numbers were a little better but there was a hell of a torque dip. Both of these dyno charts are over on harley tech talk.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cruisin1966

ORIGINAL: skyhook
. . .
. . .
That's strange. My '07 FLHTC with Hard Krome T-Rex duals, Ness Big Sucker, and SERT (dyno-tuned, overly rich, I might add) produced 76 HP and 94 TQ.

I would have expected the 37G to help out some, if not for bringing down the power to a more useable RPM range.
[/align]Could be a couple of things, the tune for oneand that cam works best with a little more compression.[/align]

Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hds compression #s are low compared to what they posted,excessive top end clearances on some builds-pistons down in hole.The andrews 37 is suppose to very close to stock cams,just more epa friendly.Wasnt andrews involved w/hds choice of 96 cams?.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 AM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopped on a 07 fatty with the HD stock 103 kit . must say wasn'tall thatimpressed.....I ride a 07 heritage , slightly stripped down now with stage 1. re-thinking what i do now - perhaps the 103 but with all the whistles. if i am going to upgrade I want to REALLY notice the difference
grzly

Old 07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The omnly differance between the 07 96" motor and the '06 Dyna engine is the stroke. Everything else is the same. And that's good, because more stroke should equal more low end torque.

To build torque, you don't need to get too radical. A lot of the "standard" hot rod work doesn't really apply.

1. Heads: The new stock heads valves, and spring are actually quite good. For power below 5,000'ish, they are just fine out of the box. No need to spend big bux on fancy head work. The stock springs are a beehive design, which is also quite good. IMO, no need to touch the heads.

2. Displacement: More is always good. But then you have to feed those extra cubes. It's a trade off you may or may not be willing to make.

3. Throttle Body: Plenty good enough for anything <5,000'ish. I wouldn't (and didn't) touch it.

4. Cam: This is where the magic happens. The stock cam has some pretty soft specs. There are more and more choices available for these new engines. Don't get too radical about it, or your power band will be too high to make decent torque.

5. Compression. There's a small amount of power to be made here. If you're going to punch out the cylinders to 103 cubes, then I'd up the compression. Otherwise I'd leave it alone.

I don't think use of SE parts alone will change resale value one way or another.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:22 PM
tom73
Tourer

Thanks Bob for the info. I have to wait until winter anyway because I do not want any down time while working on it.

Quick Reply: 96" Motor Upgrades - Anyone done any yet?