Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Doherty PowerPACC

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doherty PowerPACC

I'm looking at ordering an air cleaner for my 2007 XL1200C next week once payday comes. I'm planning to order V&H Shortshots staggered, and already have my PCIIIusb installed. Will have a map ready once I order the exhaust and air cleaner, thanks to jamie at fuel moto.

The main A/C's I'm looking at are:
1) Doherty PowerPACC
2) NRHS Hurricaneflow
3) Arlen Ness Big Sucker

The main one I have my eye on is the Doherty PowerPACC due to the twin kit powervents. I'm wondering if anyone has a review of the powervents, if they actually work as they say. Doherty seems to be great at answering questions with a quick turn around time, so that is a plus in my book. The main thing I'm wondering is I'm used to running between 1/2 and 3/4 level between fill and full on dipstick to prevent oil blowby. What I want to know is if anyone has had any luck running their bikes at or near the full level and still not having any blowby issues, especially on something like the sporty. I didn't have much luck on getting Doherty to answer this type of question, other than them telling me how the powervents worked.

Also, as far as round covers, does anyone recommend a particular round cover for less than say $50? I'm looking at 2 from harley and just wondering if they will work. 29153-07 smooth round cover
29138-91 Nostalgic "Bar & Shield" Air Cleaner Cover for Evolution 1340 - Round

I really like the nostalgic round cover.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer
Default RE: Doherty PowerPACC

The main one I have my eye on is the Doherty PowerPACC due to the twin kit powervents. I'm wondering if anyone has a review of the powervents, if they actually work as they say. Doherty seems to be great at answering questions with a quick turn around time, so that is a plus in my book. The main thing I'm wondering is I'm used to running between 1/2 and 3/4 level between fill and full on dipstick to prevent oil blowby. What I want to know is if anyone has had any luck running their bikes at or near the full level and still not having any blowby issues, especially on something like the sporty. I didn't have much luck on getting Doherty to answer this type of question, other than them telling me how the powervents worked.
I don't have a sporty, but I do have the powervents. I run my oil at the full level, and I do get blowby out the powervents. Some people run the clear tubes down so it doesn't get on the engine. I don't run any tubes. It's not bad enough for me to worry about it.

Also, as far as round covers, does anyone recommend a particular round cover for less than say $50? I'm looking at 2 from harley and just wondering if they will work. 29153-07 smooth round cover
Assuming the filter for the sporty is the same size as for other bikes, these covers will work, but they're a little too small. You'll have, if I remember correctly, 1/4 inch exposed all the way around.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:43 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ToBeFrank

I don't have a sporty, but I do have the powervents. I run my oil at the full level, and I do get blowby out the powervents. Some people run the clear tubes down so it doesn't get on the engine. I don't run any tubes. It's not bad enough for me to worry about it.

Assuming the filter for the sporty is the same size as for other bikes, these covers will work, but they're a little too small. You'll have, if I remember correctly, 1/4 inch exposed all the way around.
Do you have any comparison of the oil blowby before and after the powervents?

I'm looking at a doherty powerpacc with the horseshoe breather for about $180
http://www.gopartsdirect.com/2005/it....asp?ID=310110

or the powerpacc with the twinkit powervents for almost $235
http://www.wallyscycleworld.com/virt...&PVSID=301

so, considering the $55 difference, I'd hope they would actually work as they are suppose to.

As far as the filter not being covered completely, is there any cover recommended that would completely cover the filter element but still allow it to breath? I just don't want it getting drenched in the rain that we get around here. Bike stays in garage, but I do get caught it some downpours at times when riding.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Do you have any comparison of the oil blowby before and after the powervents?
It's hard to quantify since I had the SE backplate before the powerpacc. The SE vents the blowby back into the intake. I did notice a little bit of oil in the filter with the SE so my guess is it's about the same. You just notice it more since it gets spit out the powervents instead of back into the intake. The tubes on the powervents would vent it down to the ground, but it doesn't bother me.

I'm looking at a doherty powerpacc with the horseshoe breather for about $180
http://www.gopartsdirect.com/2005/it....asp?ID=310110

or the powerpacc with the twinkit powervents for almost $235
http://www.wallyscycleworld.com/virt...D=20&PVSID=301

so, considering the $55 difference, I'd hope they would actually work as they are suppose to.
If I were to have to make that decision again, I would still opt for the powervents. I'd rather have the blowby vented out rather than back into the engine.

As far as the filter not being covered completely, is there any cover recommended that would completely cover the filter element but still allow it to breath? I just don't want it getting drenched in the rain that we get around here. Bike stays in garage, but I do get caught it some downpours at times when riding.
I looked high and low for a cover that would fit right... couldn't find anything. I ended up getting the open cover Doherty makes. Way overpriced but it does look great. Rain shouldn't be a problem. I've never had a problem and I've read posts of others with open covers that also said they don't have a problem in rain.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 AM
slackwolf
Cruiser

I thought both doherty powerpacc's vented the oil blowby to the ground if you ran the hose down? Just one uses the normal horseshoe breather and one uses the powervents, I thought. Anyone know for sure?

I like the look of running open filter, but still kinda gunshy of the idea of running it like that in the rain. I understand that the oil impregnated material will repel it for the most part, but isn't there a reason K&N makes the drycharger filter sock? Wonder if could run an open filter and if I do get caught in the rain, slap on a drycharger, if K&N has one that fits.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:33 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a Sporty but I do have the Doherty power pacc with the head breather little canasters. and I've never had any oil dripdown on my engine. As for the breather cover I bought the kit for a S&S carb it will bolt right up to the Stock CV 40 carb. I never really liked the look of the HD Football cover.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser

I ordered my air cleaner and exhaust the beginning of this week for my 07 1200C. I've had my PC3usb installed for past few weeks running a tune to richen it up in this florida heat. I've already received the V&H shortshots staggered today and my doherty powerpacc twinkit arrives tomorrow. Planning to go down to dealer and pickup a set of SE exhaust gaskets and round air cleaner cover. I figure I'll burn up the $27 and change left on my account down there and pay whatever is leftover.

I wanted the nostalgic round air cleaner cover, part number 29136-91 since it had no notch at the top.... problem is, nobody within a few hundred miles has one and only option is to have it shipped..... I was planning to add all this stuff this weekend and load new map from fuel moto onto the pc3usb, but that is a bust unless I find a different air cleaner cover.

Since we get rain OFTEN (daily) this time of year in florida, I get caught riding in the rain on occasions. I like the look of the open filter with just the trim plate on end, but that probably wouldn't work too well in the flooding rain we have popping up lately.

So the two main covers I'm looking at is either the 29138-91 nostalgic air cleaner cover for BT's that has the notch at the top, or the new smooth round cover 29153-07 which is a few bucks cheaper.

I like the bar & shield logo on the nostalgic cover, but not sure how that notch would look sticking out on the doherty.

I'm wondering if the new smooth cover is the same dimensions as the nostalgic cover. Also, how large are those cut outs on the bottom of the smooth cover. Any pictures of it being used? Does the smooth cover need any sort of gasket?

Also kinda curious how that notched nostalgic cover looks on the sportster and how badly noticeable that notch is. Anyone have any pictures? In particular of the notched nostalgic on like the doherty powerpacc, but on anything is fine if you have pictures.

I'm just trying to decide ahead of time what I want and see how it looks already on a bike. I'd hate to buy something and not know how it looks on the bike beforehand.

and one last thing. Come fall, when the rain starts slacking up, I'll be looking towards getting just a trim plate to go on the end of my filter. Does anyone know if the normal BT football trim plates work on the doherty powerpacc like I seen people using on the AN big sucker? I may end up ordering the nostalgic cover without the cutout and just pickup a cheap trim plate for a week while waiting on my cover to come in, but that just depends how the notched cover and smooth cover look in place.

Thanks